Modern Day Indy Gun Equivalent?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Sergei wrote:Well I am in the Harry Callahan (as in Dirty Harry) camp:

Model 460 XVR Revolver
Harry carried a S&W model 29.
rebelgtp
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by rebelgtp »

yeah i would have to agree either a 9mm or .45 auto round seems the most likely since they are both very common rounds and available all over the world especially the 9mm.

i think the glock would be a good choice more then likely a 17 do to hicap mags and reliable. yes they are ugly but one effective gun. the other choice i would make is out of more personal preferance which is the 1911, again reliable proven design but with a little more power then the 9mm.

oh funny story on the desert eagle. last one i shot the firing pin shot outa the back of it and hit me square in the chest, ouch. :lol: ...everyone was kinda supprised by that one.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

modern indy gun

Post by hanson »

I personally like the S&W mdl 58. It is in .41 magnum and was aimed at the police market but had to much recoil. It is of modern design,has fixed sites,and no underlugged barrel. I put old fasioned diamond checkered grips on mine and except for the heavy barrel and lack of a lanyard ring it has that old fasioned 2ND HE look. They don't make them anymore but they can be found in good shape and priced reasonably. Another gun is the S&W 520 they were ordered by the NY state police but they renigged,only 3100 were made and they are becoming pricey, but it is also fixed-sites with the underlugged barrel, modern production,.357 magnum/.38spl cal. They are limited in number,but can be found at good prices also. Both of these are N-framed guns in good calibers that never took off. They are the only two Smiths that are N-frames without the standard target adjustable rear sites.I just saw a 520 and it does have the triplelock underlug on the barrel, which makes the 58 the only modern N-frame that has exactly the same features as the 1917's and 2ND mdl HE's.(unless some of the recently released round-butts have the tapered barrel features, ie., no full underlug) .regards hanson.
Last edited by hanson on Sun May 21, 2006 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I came very close to getting a S&W Mountian Gun in .41 mag a few months ago. However, I found the same gun in .45 Colt at a good price and bought it instead. Like you mentioned, they have a nice modern Indy appearence to them. 8)
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Here are some photos of the mdl 58 and other 2nd he's some day I'll take better photos.regards hanson

J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Wow, great collection! Thanks for posting! :D
raiderrescuer
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Indy's Guns

Post by raiderrescuer »

Indy wouldn't have a gun...the TSA would have surely Confiscated anything he would try to carry onboard his plane flights !!! :shock:
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

You know, come to think of it, I don't think Indy had a gun and holster on him in the 'Mystery of the Blues' episode of Young Indy that Harrison Ford appeared in on TV. I don't have a copy of it but maybe someone out there can do a screen-grab and let us know.regards,hanson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No, he didn't. He had a mobile radio on his belt. That's all.

Regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Well, we really need those screen-grabs so we can figure out the make and model. regards,hanson.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

And I think he may have been carrying that mobile radio in a modified WW2 canvas canteen cover......... :D
woody1234
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

A Gun for Indy

Post by woody1234 »

Hey guys,
Not to bash anyone or start an argument about guns...but, lets say there
was an individual like Indy or say someone in the past or fellows today
who happen to participate in events, such as a war either by way of being
in the military or contracted to perform tasks that would incure the use
of a small arm repeatedly.
The first thing Indy would look for in a gun would be reliability.
That being said, now don't get mad, it would not be a revolver. The S&W
N Frames are prone to small parts breakage when fired in excess of 500
rounds..yes its true. and the Colts internals are not known for their
longevity.The python was well known to lose its timing quickly.
At the turn of the last century most Goverments transitioned over to
semi-autos,for a good reason.....they worked! and could take a good
deal of abuse to boot and still work.
At the time, first half of the last century, in the U.S. the military and most
Goverment agency's coverted over to the 1911. The criminal elements
coverted over also to a great extent.
Today the most desired handgun for use in sticky situations is the 1911-
.45acp., as it was 75 years ago.
The U.S. Goverment has just opened a contract for nearly 700,000 new
.45acp handguns, and will be removeing the 9mm service pistols due
to unsatisfactory performance in action.
Of the most common pistols of Indy's time, the Colt 1911A1-.45, the
Hi-Power-9mm and the P38-9mm all of which rank as some of the
greatest pistol designs created, I think old Indy would have picked up
a Colt 45 and not thought twice about it.
Last edited by woody1234 on Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No one is arguing with you. Even Indy carried a P35 Browning as his back up piece when the N-frame was empty....but there have been as many improvements to the revolver and it's design as there have been with the semi autos. The old model semi's had an even HIGHER failure rate after multiple rounds fired as your 500 rounds from an N-frame...(and you have to be referring to the .44 mag. I did some further reading, and can not match up any other N-frame failure rates that match yours, with the exception of the .44 model 29 with full factory high pressure test rounds, and the prototype STILL held together after 500 consecutive firings. If that had been a Ruger Redhawk, they'd STILL be shooting the gun in tests, as Ruger gave up after 10,000 pressure proof rounds in that prototytpe! :shock: )

So, in my opinion it's a toss up in the decision, as the the current crop of semi autos AND field revolvers are tough cookies, and I would feel well armed and secure toting either if given the choice....but being a wheel gunner myself, I'd still pick up the revolver first. Old habits die hard.... :wink:

In Indy's case, I'm sure he would have gone for dependability, affordability in both gun and availability of ammunition, as well as ease of carry and concealment (when required). THAT'S why he carried an N-frame in his holster (ever tried to hide an N-frame on your person? It ain't easy. On me, totally impossible. :roll: ), and his P-35 for ease of concealment.

Regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

Also, don't let the US Govt's correction of a caliber problem mislead you. Lots of these changes are done to save money. Some times people think cartridges are too old and change them to what everbody else uses.Which, in the case of the .45 and 9mmparabellum is somewhat true. the .45 was old and only held 7 rounds. The 9mm was even older but could be had with more rounds, the SAS still uses the P-35 and our very own M-16;they dont consider the British SA-80 reliable enough, the P-35 can't be beat, although they sometimes use a Sig 9mm. Now that .45's can be had with higher capacities,the US is wisely changing back.Some of our elite forces never left the .45.The Beretta was thought to be the all purpose pistol,high cap.,extended barrel for ease of suppressor use,NATO round,etc. But, there were to many drawbacks and outright lies spread about it.Plus it fires 9mm,not a very powerful (manstopping) round. Not every soldier needs all of the above features all the time, and some never need but one-manstopping power. Our ship boarding,hostage,rescue team uses S&W 66s for that job only. Just because NATO adopts a cartridge,doesn't mean we must. Lots of Airmen and Sailors in certain MOSs used and still use revolvers,because that's what they need for the job. If they need anything more, it's a radio to call in an air strike.
If any of you are in units that need individual,shoulder fired,air cooled magazine fed weapons in 7.62x51, or even police depts; have your armourer contact the US ARMY ARSENAL at Anniston,Al. Govt. intities can get M-14s for the price of postage. Which was $45 or $55 a year and a half ago when I was at FT.Campbell. I learned of this program thru a nonmilitary connected business so I'm sure it's not classified. regards,hanson.
woody1234
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by woody1234 »

That was quick!,
Don't get me wrong now, I do like revolvers. I think you will
like this.
Ruger Redhawk.....stainless,5.5inch. Bbl in .45 long colt.
Rounds are 300 gr. speer jsp's with Winchester brass, federal
large pistol mag. primers and a healthy dose of H110.
Its my backup while hunting.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

That sizzling, crackling sound you just heard was my keyboard shorting out from my drooling! =P~

MAN that's a gorgous Redhawk. I usually carry a Super Blackhawk myself....7.5 inch barrel. If I can't hit em with a shot, I'll burn 'em to death with the muzzle blast. (grins)

I envy you, my friend!

HIGH regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

What auto loader can boast of reliabley putting 6 of those bolling-pin whackers downrange accurately at least 6 times, everytime? A man in threat level3a body armor would wish he'd stayed in bed.(unless 1 struck his head)regards, hanson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I can only think of one at the moment, and that would be an Auto-Ordinance .45 ACP...a specialty Colt .45. Any true, high tuned Colt .45 is a scary piece of ordinance in the hands of someone who knows how to shoot it. :shock:

Regards! Michaelson
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

True,but do those A-O's fire the 300 grain bullet with a healthy dose of H1110? It wouldn't surprisie me if they do because the best 10mm I every owned was a stock Auto-Ordinance that never had a malfunction with any kind of ammo. We're talking about .44mag performance from a relatively light auto. regards hanson.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Well guys, Mr. Murphy has struck again around here. It seems my S&W Mountain Gun has developed a problem firing single action. For some reason, when the hammer falls it catches on something the trigger is pushed foward, rasing the hammer block and thus no bang. It looks like she's going back to the factory. The darnedest thing is that I've only fired about 200 rounds of cowboy ammo through it. :?

Speaking of H110. I use that powder for both my .44 and .357 Mags. Its good stuff and makes a really big boom. :wink:

Woody, nice, nice Ruger you have there! 8)
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

That happens when things are tried to be made 'idiot proof'(not calling you an idiot J_) You can probably thank one of the govt's safety tests (like the drop test for hammers that was done by stiking the loaded weapon on the hammer so it would go off). Removing the firing pin from the hammer on Smiths caused too many other parts to be introduced into the interworkings of the already crowded and virtually hand fitted interior of the Smith. The 1st hammer block safety introduced at the end of WWI was sufficient, unless you want to throw the gun down on the hammer hard enough to make it fire,but this would probably shear the rivot holding the pin nose to the hammer body as the 1st shot hit the idiot trying to defeat his safety system. never,ever trust a mechanical safety.Something can slip off and it doesn't work or it works all the time.Your trigger finger is your primary safety. regards,hanson
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Hanson, I agree. I think I'll jump on the band wagon and blame the new internal locks on the S&W's. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, it looks like I finally had a bit of bad luck. At least I can sleep easy knowing S&W has top notch customer service. :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

J_Weaver, doesn't the cowboy load use a pretty dirty powder to give the illusion of a black powder load? :-k

Before shipping back to the factory, I think I'd hose the gun out with a good blast of gun scrub...re-oil all mechanical surfaces, then try some standard factory loads before making the determination that it's a mechanical problem. Could be just some powder residue that's jamming the safety block, causing it to move upward, or stall, rather than down and out of the way when the hammer falls.

Just a thought.

Regards! Michaelson
woody1234
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by woody1234 »

Enjoy,
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You're a cruel, cruel individual, woody. :shock: =P~

HIGH regards! Michaelson
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

No doubt Indy would have the same pistol I have :P ...a Heckler & Koch USP full size in .45. Classic American caliber and fire control, with German reliability and engineering. Perfect.
hanson
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by hanson »

I'd go with Michaelson and remove the grips and blast away if you haven't already.Be sure to view the drainage for any small broken pieces that may be the culprit or part of it. The gunsmith will need any pieces of metal that were loose inside the gun. As for H&K, ironically,it is, has been owned by British Aerospace for some time now and several companies make wonderful suppressors for the Tactical model. 230 gr. ball fired thru an AAC silencer sounds like a car door closing. regards hanson.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

Michaelson wrote:J_Weaver, doesn't the cowboy load use a pretty dirty powder to give the illusion of a black powder load? :-k

Before shipping back to the factory, I think I'd hose the gun out with a good blast of gun scrub...re-oil all mechanical surfaces, then try some standard factory loads before making the determination that it's a mechanical problem. Could be just some powder residue that's jamming the safety block, causing it to move upward, or stall, rather than down and out of the way when the hammer falls.

Just a thought.

Regards! Michaelson
Sorry to be so long replying, old buddy. My bloody internet has been down all weekend! :x

Anywho, 3 three drops of oil solved the problem. I just went to the range and put 100 round through it without a hich. :D

Your right though, I'm using Ultra Max ammo at the moment, and its very dirty. The only reason I bought it to start with was the good price I got on it. I'll definitely be making up some clean Hodgdon 'Clays' reloads on my next trip home.

On an interesting side note, I've found these "cowboy" loads to have as much recoil and muzzle blast as the Corbon 200gr +P rounds I carry in the woods. :shock:

Woody, that Hi-Power looks GREAT! I've been looking at possibly getting an FN Hi-Power this fall, but Taurus' new 1911 has caught my eye as well.
woody1234
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by woody1234 »

Getting ready,
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Glad to hear all we had was a lubrication problem instead of a design flaw!! :D

HIGH regards! Michaelson
woody1234
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by woody1234 »

Happy that you gentlemen are enjoying the pictures.
Buy the way since the Hi-Power is one of the favorites
of the forum I thought I might pass this along.
You all may or may not know this, a internet company
by the name CDNN has a sell on FN HI-Powers,new for
399.00. All you do is call,pay over the phone and have
a FFL avaliable for delivery. The CDNN rep. you speak to
at the time will explain the process.
I have puchaced from them myself and am very pleased
with their products.Considering the going rate of between
600-800 for a new store bought Hi-Power this is a very good
deal.
J_Weaver
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by J_Weaver »

I've seen FN going on gunbroker for between $460 and $500 for a month or two now. I'll have to check CDNN out! :tup:
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Springfield XD in .45 ACP.
Dostacos
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dostacos »

S&W 625 a stainless 5" barrel 45 ACP handgun [the most accurate hand gun I ever owned] and a bunch of full moon clips the the bag

or more likely a 9MM auto of some flavor
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Re: Modern Day Indy Gun Equivalent?

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Well, assuming that a modern Indy still packs guns with him everywhere he goes, the real question would be how to transport his piece, considering the difference in security measures these days... ;)

As most guns are timeless anyway, I would cast my vote for a Walther PPK. While it's true that the gun doesn't really hold that many rounds, it IS one of the more accurate options out there, which would serve Indy well, especially since he doesn't really shoot all that much to begin with.

And for a modern Indy, concealment would probably be the key. Can't imagine a civilian walking around with a prominent holster and not raising a few red flags. Looking at how tiny a PPK is, it wouldn't be that much of an issue.

Last but not least, I'm sure Henry Sr. would be more than happy to pass on HIS Walther PPK to his son after all! ;)
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

I think if Indy was going to carry a revolver he'd want to shed a little weight and added a little fire power. I think he'd pick a S&W model 619 or 620 the 7 shot replacement for the 65 & 66. Stainless so they wouldn't rust in the jungle.
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

cooncatbob wrote:I think if Indy was going to carry a revolver he'd want to shed a little weight and added a little fire power. I think he'd pick a S&W model 619 or 620 the 7 shot replacement for the 65 & 66. Stainless so they wouldn't rust in the jungle.
Whoa.....that's a nice revolver!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I had the 6 shot version. VERY nice revolver, but when compared to, say, a Ruger, it still has the 1930's weakness of the original lock at two points rather than 3, like the old Smith Triplelock.

So, less weight, easier to care for, one extra round, but not quite as strong as what Indy was used to in my opinion. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
cooncatbob
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cooncatbob »

Michaelson wrote:I had the 6 shot version. VERY nice revolver, but when compared to, say, a Ruger, it still has the 1930's weakness of the original lock at two points rather than 3, like the old Smith Triplelock.

So, less weight, easier to care for, one extra round, but not quite as strong as what Indy was used to in my opinion. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Modern metallurgy and machining make todays revolvers much stronger then those made back in the day. Smith and Wesson can make a J frame revolver strong enough for full power 357 loads, back in the day you needed a N frame. Heck if I was Indy today I'd probably carry a Kimber like this. It's got a rail for a tactical light for when your in a dark tomb.
:lol: Bob. BTW I have a #66 with a 6 inch barrel, great gun.
retrojess
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by retrojess »

Alabama Jones wrote:S&W Model 28 357 Revolver
Close... I would say a 27-2 same cal. 3 1/2" bbl. for ease of carry but the hand work makes the difference. :D
Jaredraptor
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Jaredraptor »

Well, lemme check the gun catalog my grandad gave me.......not sure how modern you'd consider these (the catalog is from '76):

Revolvers-
S&W 41m&P Model 58 Revolver (41 magnum rounds, 4 inch barrel)
S&W 32 Regulation Police
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

It would be a Glock.
Lelander
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Lelander »

pigirondan wrote:It would be a Glock.
I can't picture Indy choosing a polymer frame as his primary firearm. Sure, field use has proven the HK and its ilk very effective and reliable but a guy like Indy... he's not exactly all about picking up on the latest trend.

Regarding whether he'd be packing an automatic or a wheelgun in the hip holster let us not forget that, while Indy was toting his 1917s and Webleys across the four corners of the globe, automatics in numerous styles and with long pedigrees were widely available. The 1911 pistols, chambered for the same round Indy used in at least one of his revolvers, had been combat proven for almost 30 years when Indiana, Marion, and Sallah were off raiding the lost ark. That suggests to me that Indy had made a concious decision to use a revolver as his primary weapon, and I can't come up with any reason why he would have changed his tune in the interim. I think a modern day Indy would be packing pretty much what he was packing in the late 30s; A large frame S&W revolver chambered for whatever cartridge he found the easiest to source in the field.

On the same note, if Indy's backup gun is a hipower by design I can't think of any reason why the man wouldn't be just as happy carrying that gun today as he was then. The 9mm cartridge has, if anything, become an even more versatile and available round than it was then, and the pistol itself has aged remarkably well.

If, as some have suggested, the 9mm is actually a movie gun stand in for the 1911 that Indy likely would have carried as backup than I'm betting that todays Indy would be carrying...

... a S&W large frame revolver chambered in .45 ACP, and a 1911 pistol. He'd only have to carry one flavor of ammunition, and it would be a flavor that he's enjoyed many times before. For the backup pistol I'm thinking he'd choose the Springfield - they are rock-solid guns at a great price.

I do believe that Indy would be using an arsenal made up primarily of stainless steel. He's a guy with a mind for function and would want the most rugged weapons possible.
Vegeta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Vegeta »

I HAVE THE SAME GLOCK!! A Glock 23!! Thats what I think Indy would carry. .40 cal, 13 rnd capacity that can shoot NO MATTER WHAT! I love mine and I know Indy would love one too...lol
Indybantha Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indybantha Jones »

Ive always liked the taurus 1911. :Dhttp://photobucket.com/image/taurus%201911/JimmyJoe69/IMG_0416.jpg?o=9
Indybantha Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indybantha Jones »