Post your Adventurebilts here!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Harrison_Davies »

mark seven wrote:Hi Harrison,that is a beautiful hat!,and I also have to add-great distressing on your jacket! 8)
thanks so much...a little work on the AB and ill be happy...man is this hat stiff, reminds me of Odd Jobs hat in James Bond lol...

re the jacket, it and i were drenched 2 days ago...kinda stiff...

AB review coming up
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Stiff? I thought AB's were supposed to be soft and floppy?
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

well you have to remember it has just come out of its box it will soften up intime
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

This is for the newer members. How to soften up your hat- courtesy of Lee Keppler.
http://adventure-supply.com/Movie.wmv
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

I'm not sure I want mine to go soft and floppy!,I love the stiffer felt..I thought AB's were supposed to be stiff?
:?
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

well it is stiff...after a time i believe its loses its stiffness, but a stiffener can be purchased and applied
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Stiff? I thought AB's were supposed to be soft and floppy?
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

wow...Ford's felt and i thought it was beaver lol

as promised my review Steve.

steve what a beautiful creation...the attention to detail is second to none you even managed the extra crease in the center dent...

the color is spot on and the ribbon beatifully constructed, and forward of my ear...there are no areas of thinner felt which can dent or soften in places you dont want.

when i first put it on it felt loose, but it is slowly tightening and conforming to my head. it is the right shape - long oval.

(This section removed - explanation given below)

there is only one thing i dislike and thats the non symmetry of the brim caused by the turn...but this is only because i am anal and everything must be straight.

the turn is essential to accuracy.

1 superb bonus is the fantastic reverse taper at the back.

i was dissapointed that my initials were forgotten...but hey i can live with that.

there is a slight nick in the lining, not prominent and may be from manufacture.

the sweatband is comfortable and helps to give the illusion you arent wearing a hat.

overall the construction is top notch...and as a purchase i give it:
order to delivery 7/10
felt quality 10/10
build quality 9/10
acurracy 9/10
price / cant be beat

knowing ford has one / priceless.

Steve well done and thanks for a wonderful hat. i hope you dont mind my review.
Last edited by Harrison_Davies on Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Yep- real Ford's felt made from silverbelly fur straight from his chest!

Harrison Davies, after wearing vintage hats for the last 2 years I've learnt a few things and one of them is don't be so perfect! Wear it with a jaunty tilt, don't make the bashes so perfect, pull the brim down, squash it, MAKE IT YOUR OWN! That's what Ford did and that's why his hat is so iconic today.
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

oh i intend to make it my own, but i promised Steve a full and frank review.
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

OFF TOPIC:

Rick, is that Poland Spring in your pocket??
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

Nice hat, Davies!!
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

prairiejones wrote:Nice hat, Davies!!
thanks a lot...btw my name IS Harrison. i think some people think my forename is Davies hehe. no in fact it's Harrison. Cheers
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

order to delivery 7/10

First, thanks for the review!! I would have figured the 7 out of 10 to be lower. :lol: I just noticed John at Montana Hatters has an 8 month turnaround now, and he uses machines for certain steps. So, I guess a handmade hat in that amount of time ain't too bad. :D

On the dents, the one on the bow side is generally shallower than the other, due to the hat being turned. Not as much to push in there, and if you try too hard to get it matched up with the opposite side, you end up putting too severe an angle on the tight pinch when viewed from the side. Most times anyways. Glad the hat suited. Thanks again!! Fedora
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Nice hat Harrison. What I can see of the jacket looks great too. It does look rather dry though.
Fedora wrote:I just noticed John at Montana Hatters has an 8 month turnaround now, and he uses machines for certain steps. So, I guess a handmade hat in that amount of time ain't too bad. :D

Yeah, 2-3 months or whatever doesn't seem bad comparied to 8!
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

my pleasure Steve...i always think one should be honest about these things, or else how can one improve.

i'll post some pics of the jacket tomorrow...thanks
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah, 2-3 months or whatever doesn't seem bad comparied to 8!
I agree, but I am pushing the 15 to 16 week deal on some hats. It is stressful indeed, but you can't rush these hats up, and still be proud of what you make and sell. If I was using machines, I could take the order, order the body and have it made and back to you in a couple of weeks. I need to be able to make 10 a day, instead of one new hat, and one reblock, or refurbish. Believe it or not, I always have 80 to a hundred hats on order at all times. :shock: If I have to remake a hat because I am not satisfied with the outcome, this loses me one day, and one hat. And I do remake quite a few in a months time because I will not send out one that I feel is not right. But, if you own one of mine or Marcs, rest assured all steps are done by hand, just like the small shops in the 1930's. And as far as I know, we are the only two hatters not using machines. Everyone else has more sense than us!!!! :lol: Fedora
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Ghos7a55assin wrote:Rick, is that Poland Spring in your pocket??
...or am I just glad to see you? :lol:

Actually, that is two Poland Spring Bottles; one in each front pocket. There are plenty more in my backpack too.

You guys don't miss a thing... This was supposed to be a picture to show my hat out in the field. :oops: :lol:
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Well, I grew up in New York and Poland Spring is practically tap water there. Fond memories of my childhood...
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

rick5150 wrote:
Fletch wrote:Looks great Rick! Your vest looks pretty cool too. Is it oilskin?
Sure is... sorry about the month wait for a reply. It is a Kakadu oilskin. I just love to say that word. Oilskin. :wink:
I have some sweet oilskin jackets that I love and had been looking for a vest that looked more tactical made from oilskin and about flipped when I saw your vest. Believe it or not I sourced the one place on earth that I think you can still get one from sportsmansguide and it turned out to be the identical vest that you have! I just got it in the mail last week and love it. Had I not seen your picture I would not have been spurned on to find one for myself and would have missed the opportunity as they only had about 14 in stock at the time and they are on closeout. It looks great with the AB in your pic and I wanted something that wasnt so characteristically indy to wear while out on hikes and stuff. Thanks for the inspiration Rick.
Fletch
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

Fletch wrote:Believe it or not I sourced the one place on earth that I think you can still get one from sportsmansguide and it turned out to be the identical vest that you have! I just got it in the mail last week and love it. Had I not seen your picture I would not have been spurned on to find one for myself and would have missed the opportunity as they only had about 14 in stock at the time and they are on closeout.
With all due respect for sportsmansguide.com(the other site that carried this was bargainoutfitters.com) they have no clue about the availability. I needed a medium and they had none and said they have discontinued the item and that is all they had left. I eventually contacted Kakadu Australia who does not sell direct, but said that they have more in all sizes going out to Sportsmansguide and Bargainoutfitters. I finally found a medium and ordered it only to receive an e-mail saying that they were out of stock and would not be carrying them. Each time I checked, there would be a different configuration of available sizes. Read about the entire fiasco here.
Fletch wrote:It looks great with the AB in your pic and I wanted something that wasnt so characteristically indy to wear while out on hikes and stuff. Thanks for the inspiration Rick.
Fletch
Any time. I was looking for the same thing. I feel kind of fruity dressing exactly like Indy. When I wear the vest and hat, I get a lot of people asking me questions about the trails and such because they think I am somehow working for the wilderness committee or something. :lol: You are right though, that vest rocks. I only wish it was about 2" longer.
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

I actually had a similiar experience placing an order for this vest and received an email telling me that it was on backorder. I was looking for a large. I called customer service and was told by someone that they were expecting them the very next day. Called back next day and was told they would be coming in on Sept 30th! I cancelled my order because I didnt like them sitting on my money for a perpetual backorder. Then I looked two weeks ago at the site and they had them again so I called and confirmed they had 14 in stock in large so I placed the order and got it a week later. It fits perfectly in the chest but the length does seam a bit shorter than I would prefer so I ordered a second one in x-large at my wife's suggestion which I was also told is currently in stock over the phone. I have a 42 chest and the large fits perfectly zipped up and looks cool unzipped. What is the length of your medium? I can tell you if the large is longer by PM or something if you want. Kadadu's sizing tag reads that a large fits a 46-48 chest but I find that really hard to believe. It really is a 42-44.
Sorry to highjack the thread. Just look at Ricks forum for more pics of him hiking around in this vest. It really compliments the fedora well and is a nice brown to boot. Back to your regular scheduled programing
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Harrison, that hat looks wonderful! Very Indy!
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

Kakadu makes awesome stuff. I have one of their oilskin dusters and it is the most versatile one that I've seen on the market. It’s got an adjustable length and the ability to button in 2 different liners. Just giving them a plug. Cheers
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

hat

Post by BendingOak »

Ghos7a55assin, where in NY?
Ghos7a55assin
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ghos7a55assin »

Nassau County, Long Island. We went to Queens and Manhattan very often too.
Ray
Naltak
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

My New Adventurebilt Finally Arrived!

Post by Naltak »

Well folks, the big day came! And let me chime in with everyone else about this hat. If I would have had to wait six more months to get it, the wait would have been well worth it. It is everything I had hoped for. It looks and fits like it was made just for me. Wait a minute, it was made just for me!! Thanks again Steve for taking the time to make this hat. It will be right at home on my head for a long, long time.

=http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image ... .jpg[/img][/url]
Naltak
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

My New Adventurebilt Finally Arrived 2

Post by Naltak »

O well so much for my attempt at posting a thumbnail preview. Here is a link to a larger picture.

http://img3.freeimagehosting.net/image. ... 03507d.jpg
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Looking good!
prairiejones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: In the damp jungles of Peru, drinking Dewar's with Pagey.

Post by prairiejones »

THat is a nice looking hat. I like the relaxed pinch.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Here are some shots of me & my Adventurebilt on my recent vacation in Scotland.

The Adventurebilt at rest on the Isle of Mull (enjoying some of the local ale).

At Tobermory, the largest town on Mull and famous for its colorful waterfront.

In Fingal's Cave on the tiny island of Staffa... a famous and quite beautiful spot composed of hexagonal basalt columns formed by cooling lava. Fingal's Cave is a sea cave shooting back several hundred feet into the island... spectacular.

At the battlefield of Culloden, where Bonnie Prince Charlie met his Waterloo (along with much of the Highland way of life).

At Glen Coe, justifiably famous for its beauty and infamous as the location of the Campbells' massacre of the MacDonalds in 1692. (There are still hard feelings about it today.)

Standing stones just outside the town of Kilmartin. That whole area is rife with stone age and more recent sites.

Stone circle not far from the standing stones.

At the ruins of the fort at Dunadd (not far from Kilmartin), where Scottish kings were once crowned. (The foot shape was hewn into the rock centuries ago, and is thought to have played some part in the coronation ritual).

All in all, it was a fantastic trip. Scotland is a wonderful country with so much scenery and history it will blow your mind. (I can't count the number of castles we saw.) The only downside was the expense given how strong the pound is against the dollar... almost two dollars to the pound, and things tend to be priced similarly in pounds as in dollars (i.e., a meal at McDonald's is 3 pounds, or almost six bucks).

[edit: fixing the pics]
Last edited by that_dog on Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
moses
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by moses »

That's a great looking hat! Do you have the brim down at the back? In fact, the brim looks really wide - compare it to Naltak's earlier pics. Is it turned? Who did the bash?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

that_dog wrote:The only downside was the expense given how strong the pound is against the dollar... almost two dollars to the pound, and things tend to be priced similarly in pounds as in dollars (i.e., a meal at McDonald's is 3 pounds, or almost six bucks).
That's UK for you pal! :lol:
The pictures are really fantastic, your hat looks stunning as well as the places where you have been. Always good to see pictures of Scotland, I hope you had a great time.
Harrison_Davies
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

i love that hat and the view...always nice to see a bit of my homeland.
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

Thanks for the kind words. The bash and turn are all Steve. I do have the brim down at the back, maybe too much.

The hat has broken in beautifully, and is amazingly soft and pliable. Here's a shot of my daughter putting it through its paces.

The hat can take this and much, much more. It got rained on, doused in the sea, crushed on the plane, etc., etc., and came up perfectly each time. It's an awesome hat and more -- a bona fide piece of gear to accompany you on your travels and adventures. I wouldn't give mine up now for love or money.
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

Here are some AB shots in the mountains, that dog is right there's nothing an AB can't handle, by the way Naltak, I love your AB its a perfect TOD lid
http://img224.imageshack.us/img224/7936/gear048gu3.jpg
http://img113.imageshack.us/img113/9785/gear053cd4.jpg
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Now that's what I like to see. Wow, Cromeens! Those are some seriously Indy photos. You've definitely captured the spirit in them! Well done.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

That dog ,

your hat looks SO SOC !!! its amazing

wow !!!

garr... still waiting for my ab to arrive , could be anyday now :P:D
Indiana Cromeens
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Cromeens »

thanks, strider, next time you go to texas drop me a line, photo op. man!
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

that_dog: Great pictures and - of course - a very nice looking hat!

The sites at Kilmartin are breathtaking, aren't they?! If I'm not mistaken, I just noticed the Temple Wood circles?

Very interesting sites, as the whole valley could be viewd as "ritual landscape" grown respective over 2000 years. I did a research paper about the vally this year and was impressed how bronze age people just re-used and expanded the older neolithic sites.
Truly a good choice for a photoshoot! :D
that_dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by that_dog »

IndyJens, you know the Kilmartin area very well! The stone circle pic is indeed from the Temple Wood.

Kilmartin was definitely a highlight of the whole trip; it's a very pretty spot, and if you're into historical and prehistorical sites, it's a can't-miss. The stone carvings in the churchyard were amazing, but I was blown away by the standing stones, stone circles, and cairns. Just phenomenal.

Dunadd, just south of Kilmartin, was also incredible. The hill on which the ruins of the fort stand (there are very few ruins, but you can see them) towers above the surrounding countryside, so you can see for miles. (It's an obvious strategic spot.) At the top you get to see the carved foot, as well as a basin and the remnants of a carving of a wild boar. It combines natural beauty and historical interest in one spectacular spot.

And to think we almost didn't make it down there... it was sort of a spur-of-the-moment decision on the same day we visited Glen Coe in the morning. We were toward the end of our time in Scotland, Glen Coe had been great, and we had driven a lot already and had a long road back to the B&B as it was. But, being the driver of the car the whole trip (on the left side of the road, ugh!), I made a command decision to push on that day. I am very glad I did! To anyone visiting the western part of Scotland, Kilmartin & Dunadd are a must-see.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

the turned down brim does give your hat that SOC look, that dog, but I would push those dents in just a bit farther.
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

what does SOC mean?(I keep reading it-I'm curious)..that_dog- great pics and a beautiful hat! 8)
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

SOC = Streets of Cairo. The look of Indy's fed during the Cairo street scenes.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

This is a good example of how a hat has to be fitted to the facial shape. To me, the hat needs a bit less crown and a bit less brim. :oops: I missed this one IMHO. It is amazing how the shape affects the final look. This is the 5 1/2 crown(open) and 2 7/8 by 2 3/4 brim. I think it needs to be reduced especially the sides of the brim. But that is only my opinion. Fedora
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

I agree it looks too big for his face. What would you recommend cutting the brim down to Steve? I might be in this same boat and might need to make the same brim adjustment for my face.
Fletch
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

It's mainly because he has the brim turned down in the back. If it were flipped up, I think it would look ok.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hey, Steve, I see this a LOT! This is why I have my brims cut so narrow. I'll post a pic of the hat you just sent me with it on my head and you'll see what I mean. To you, looking at the hat by itself, the brim was way too narrow. But you'll see with it on, it's just right! :wink:

To me, most of the shots I see of indy, he has a relatively narrow brim on the hat. It is streamlined and compact,ready for adventure,,not cantankorous and large,and used to keep the sun out of his eyes :? :wink: . Just my 2 cents.. :wink:

TR
Last edited by Texas Raider on Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

agree it looks too big for his face. What would you recommend cutting the brim down to Steve? I might be in this same boat and might need to make the same brim adjustment for my face.
His is the normal size, 2 3/4 on the sides. I think I would take it down 1/8 an inch to 2 5/8 on the sides and see how that fit. I either forgot to ask him his facial shape, or I just missed it.

On me, and many folks the 2 3/4 on the sides looks good for the Cairo look. On the Idol Grab, 2 5/8 looks good to me personally.

But, with that said, you really have to trim the brim on the sides especially to go with the facial shape. In this case here with Matt, it is needed IMHO. Most times I get it fairly close, but sometimes not. :wink: One size does not fit all, and that is where I should come in, since these are not factory made hats.

I have even seen a couple of guys in the past where the 2 3/4 on the sides was not enough. Wides faces require more brim on the sides.
It's mainly because he has the brim turned down in the back. If it were flipped up, I think it would look ok.
Yes, that would affect it somewhat, but this may be a case where a trim is in order. Fedora
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Quite a bit of brim here.

And here.

Fedora