Pounce Bag & Fullers Earth = Awsome!

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Pounce Bag & Fullers Earth = Awsome!

Post by Ark Hunter »

I bought some natural fullers earth and made a pounce bag out of an old t-shirt. Just dumped some fullers into the center of an approxamatly 12"x8" piece of the T-shirt and folded it and tied it up to make a little bag, so the only way it'll come out is through the cloth. (loose weave)

I patted it on my jacket and it works great! Fullers earth sticks amazingly well to the leather. You can just brush it off. You have to get a wet towel or something.

This is an easy way to "distress" your jacket and be able to undo the distressed look if you want to.

Only down side it it was rather expensive stuff. (about $20 shipped for a pound of fullers earth)
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Raleigh, NC, Running from the Havitos (my (ex)girlfriends' parents)

Post by Rusty Jones »

Mind if I ask where you got it from? I'm looking to getting some myself...

I searched and didnt get the answer
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Rusty,
Here you go.

http://www.cineshoppe.com/fullers1.htm

Cheers,
G-MANN
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yep, that's where I got mine. I also found this place.
http://www.wardrobesupplies.com/store/m2_agepowder.html

You can buy the bag and fullers there if you don't feel like making the pounce bag.
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

Thanks, I appreciate the links
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Thanks Fellas for the links to sites that sell fullers earth. I've been looking for some also.

Thanks again

Indiana Redmon
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

But is it "Michaelson Approved?" The Seal of Good Distressing.
If you have photos, please share. :wink: :D
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't know. Is non-destructive distressing "Michaelson Approved?"
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

G-MANN, you're getting to be faster on the draw than ol' VP with the links! :lol: Thanks for the link, I've been wondering where to get me some of this stuff too.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

Strider wrote:G-MANN, you're getting to be faster on the draw than ol' VP with the links! :lol: Thanks for the link, I've been wondering where to get me some of this stuff too.
Thanks Man, but I don't think I will ever get quite as good at it as VP.
Remember.............VP is COOL :wink:
Cheers,
G-MANN
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Ooh...the 50 lb. bag is a good bulk buy... :roll:
Jordan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Jordan »

Indiana Jerry wrote:Ooh...the 50 lb. bag is a good bulk buy... :roll:

Yeah, I went ahead and bought 600 lbs of the stuff just in case...Never know when you might want to distress the whole house! :wink:
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Riverwind wrote:

Yeah, I went ahead and bought 600 lbs of the stuff just in case...Never know when you might want to distress the whole house! :wink:

Yes, I'm recreating THE SAHRA in my living room! I'll take two. :lol:
Rusty Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Rusty Jones »

IndyDoc wrote:
Riverwind wrote:

Yes, I'm recreating THE SAHRA in my living room! I'll take two. :lol:
Heh I wont, but if I ever end up with enough money, I'm DEFINATLY gonna try and create a screen acurate Tanis Digsite in a room of my house... or if I get the snakes maybe a Well of the Souls...
astroboy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by astroboy »

What is the fullers supposed to acheive on the jacket??
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

G-MANN wrote:Remember.............VP is COOL :wink:
Aye.

Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

The "Natural" shade is the correct type of Fuller's Earth to use on the fedora because it contains no harmful dyes...is that correct? I have an Adventurebilt beaver-felt hat. So, this stuff (the Natural shade) is okay and safe to use on the beaver-felt?

Thank you for any replies,
Captain D
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

G-MANN used it on his, and everything seems to be just fine with it. IndyDoc, what kind of shirt do you use to make this pounce bag? "Loose weave" just isn't giving me any pictures in my head.
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I bought some natural fullers earth and made a pounce bag out of an old t-shirt.
I just used an old t-shirt. It seems to work. Maybe a dark color if you want to see how much is coming through. I also read those shop rags you can buy at the store work well too. (Assuming they don't have anything else on them.) I think they are basicly the same as t-shirts though.
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

I have a great source of dirt, and it's free (my backyard)!

I have trouble keeping the stuff off my gear. My boots are pretty much continuously covered with dust. Every time I put a treatment on them, it only lasts until the next time I step out into my yard. Actually, everything around here is pretty much continually covered in dust, the furniture, the floor, my truck.... Drives Mrs. Mojave nuts trying to keep the house clean.

What exactly is Fullers Earth, and how is it different from regular dirt?
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

I don't really know exactly. I've heard it's processed dirt, I've heard it's not real dirt, and I've heard it won't turn to mud if you get it wet. I know it's really fine though. Very dusty. :lol:
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

It's just costume dirt. A powder of sorts, like baby powder. So just any old random t shirt will work? I have a few big rags that I made from white t-shirts over the years. Those work?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

It's just really clean clay.

"Fuller’s Earth is a naturally occurring sedimentary clay composed mainly of alumina, silica, iron oxides, lime, magnesia, and water, in extremely variable proportions."

I did a web trawl apparently some mechanics use it to clean up oil spills.... maybe this is another much cheaper source!

http://www.mountainroseherbs.com/learn/fullers.php
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

IndyDoc wrote:I don't really know exactly. I've heard it's processed dirt, I've heard it's not real dirt, and I've heard it won't turn to mud if you get it wet. I know it's really fine though. Very dusty. :lol:
It is like wheat flour in appearance. If you oversaturate it, it gets muddy. The stuff I have does anyways.

I also use that for soaking up environmental spills as well, although the stuff for that use is a lot larger and coarser in size.
Mojave Jack
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mojave Jack »

So I basically live in a huge expanse of Fullers Earth? And I get my living room distressed a little bit every day, too. Cool. 8)
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

I just bought simple generic cat litter and ground it up with a morter and pestle and get a great effect. It is just comprised of small clay chips and when pulverized is grey/tan in color. Anyway, likely the same stuff and cheaper and local too!
Fletch
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

I don't think 20 bucks is that bad, seeing as how I got 3 pounds of Fuller's from Cine Shoppe. It comes in this jug. I mean, sheesh. How long will that last? A while! I guess I'm just one of those people that is OK with paying more for something if I know exactly where I am getting it from and exactly what it is before I buy.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Fletch wrote:I just bought simple generic cat litter and ground it up with a morter and pestle and get a great effect. It is just comprised of small clay chips and when pulverized is grey/tan in color. Anyway, likely the same stuff and cheaper and local too!
Fletch
Yes, the clay kitty litter is the same stuff, you just have to get past that mental block thing that you are putting KITTY LITTER on your gear! :)

That along with the fact that you never usually know what kind of litter you are getting until you open the bag. The white gravelly stuff isn't right nor the compressed sawdust. (I have 2 cats lol).
Fletch
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Fletch »

Yep, my friend in FX school told me it was the same and that is why I went out and bought it. Be sure to get the clay chip kind with no scent or extra absorbancy additives. I think I got a 3 pound bag for like 3 bucks or something like that last year. It just so happened to be the cheap generic stuff. Just for the do it yourselfers who are impatient like me :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

From 'past experience' (when we used to OWN a cat), I believe the only plain clay-nothing-added litter is Hartz cat litter in the orange bag. Just about everything else I've seen has scent, or additives.

I only know this from past experience in purchasing product for our now deceased cat's needs, as well as I've found it interesting to read how many folks go through all the efforts of dusting themselves, their hats, and jackets that they paid hard earned money for with crushed cat litter. :shock:

No WONDER folks think our group is nuts. #-o :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

It's better than shooting yourself in the arm. ;) :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That's been asked about before too..... 8) Can't seem to get any volunteers on that one, though. :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Michaelson wrote:From 'past experience' (when we used to OWN a cat), I believe the only plain clay-nothing-added litter is Hartz cat litter in the orange bag. Just about everything else I've seen has scent, or additives.

I only know this from past experience in purchasing product for our now deceased cat's needs, as well as I've found it interesting to read how many folks go through all the efforts of dusting themselves, their hats, and jackets that they paid hard earned money for with crushed cat litter. :shock:

No WONDER folks think our group is nuts. #-o :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
I did that once for halloween. Never again, though. All the dogs in the neighborhood chased me down the street. I could barely hold them all off with my David Morgan. As I ran past, some kid shouted, " what are you, a lion tamer?" :wink:
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

Okay, I gotta dumb question to ask, but here it goes: the other Fullers Earth that has dyes in it...some say it may stain. If it stains, then does it "stain" the same color as that particular color or does it happen to turn to some other color? For example, would it "bleach" a felt hat so-to-speak? Again, I know this is a weird question to ask :wink: ...
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

Most factories use FullersEarth as a agent to dry up hazardous spills. We have a 55 gallon drum of the stuff sitting on our shipping dock.
rick5150
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by rick5150 »

I lay the Fuller's Earth on very heavy to ensure it gets into all the nooks and crannies. This is not an Indy hat but the principle is the same.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Here is the entire procedure
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Nice work Rick. You could probably make a good "man with no name" hat that way too. (minus the crock teeth) I'd love to have one actually.
Kris
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Kris »

ooh, film distressing .. time to put a bag of it in the budget of my movie. 8)
Ark Hunter
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Ark Hunter »

Yeah, you dust it all over the film and it give it that "classic" look. ;)