If You Were Going Off On an Indy Adventure.....

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Hey Abner,
Having trained with both of your choices, I agree wholeheartedly! Of course it may be neigh on to impossible to obtain them in some places.
Relic Raider
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Relic Raider »

I were a fearless adventurer, I'd carry a Korth Combat/Target revolver with laser sight. It's available in 357 Magnum, 9 mm, and a few other calibers. With its vent rib with an underbarrel lug, the Korth closey resembles a Colt Python, but it's in a very different league. The finest materials, craftsmanship, and ultra precision come at a price of around 7000 DOLLARS! It's one the finest and rarest handguns you can get anywhere. Only about 200 are made every year. It comes stainless plasma-coated with 2 interchangeable Lothar Walther barrels for combat or match. Low velocity high twist rifling for match and low twist rifling for high velocity combat. I'd prefer the match barrel, because I'd rather be able to plink someone's big toe off at low velocity than miss altogether at high velocity. Besides, ever tried to re-focus your eyes to see in the dark after firing a round from a hand-cannon? For 2-3 minutes you're flash-blind. Not to mention deaf in a closed room with nothing but ringing in your ears and pitch black. Blind and deaf is NOT how I want to deal with the enemy.
Having cut myself countless times with sharp hobby knives, I'm not fond of the thought of carrying a combat knife. I'd just bring a Swiss Army knife with a beadblasted blade along, lol.

Check it out here: http://mcp.cpu.lu/handguns/database/Han ... /korth.htm

Cheers,
-Relic Raider
Marcus Brody
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Brody »

I wouldn't go anywhere without a Blastech DL-44!

Actually I'd probably like to carry a H&K Mk. 23 SOCOM, and maybe a 45 cal. H&K USP compact as well. In terms of rifles, I'd probably want a M-14 or if I have to use 5.56, maybe a H&K G36.

A Kabar is a good knife, but I'd probably carry a wakizashi just for fun.
wolf2hawks
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wolf2hawks »

Depending on the enviroment, but I'd probably carry the following:
-My Browning Hi-Power with about four spare magazines.
-7 1/2 inch barreled Ruger Vaquero in .45 long colt with a mix of loads(including some of the special 2000 lb+ big game loads you can only use in a Ruger or similar large frame revolver. As the saying goes, If used properly, it WILL remove the fingerprints).
-My M1 carbine for a mix of fire power and portability
-and probably some sort of long gun for long range work, and a shotgun for in camp, close up work.
-about 3-4 knives including my custom Burr Oak Rescue knife for all my cutting needs, along with my NASAR approved, 24 hr survival pack from my search and rescue days.
That's probably about it, unless I want to do the John Rourke-from the Jerry Ahern survivalist series-and carry 2 detonics combat masters, 2 scoremasters, Steyr SSG, 4 AR-15s, 1 Car-15, 1 Model 29 S&W, 30,000 rounds of ammunition, 6 knives, Lowe Alpine expedition pack with half an camping supply store, and enough explosives to blow up a small island(the list goes on), and still be able to walk, run, hike, jump, and every other bodily functiion known to the world. But, I don't know that might not be very realistic, so I'll just stick with the above list.
Ryan243
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Ryan243 »

I'd have to go with some fairly simple choices

-my Ruger Model 77 .243 Winchester with a Leupold VariX III scope
-Para Ordinance P12 or P13 (maybe two of them)
-a Smith & Wesson .357 Magnum for a backup gun (I don't know which model, but it would be a smaller model, it's a backup after all.)
-any large knife

I think that's enough. I don't know how I'd carry much more on me.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

JerseyJones wrote:Well, since this is too good to pass up.

First of all, Knife:
Leatherman Multi-Tool
Emerson CQC-7 Black-T Combat folder ( an unbelievable knife ! )
Custom Made Combat Bowie overall 12."

Revolver/Pistol.
First I'd research where I was going and its history would dictate what Ammo I might find in the area, eg. Croatia I may find more 9MM than .45.
My choices:
Stainless S&W Model 686 .357
Heckler Kock USP Compact in .45 ACP +P+ or .40
Browning Hi_Power
and Ol' Reliable Colt M1911A1

With a SW Bodyguard Airweight strapped to the ankle.

Rifle, same theory applies above, but some choices:
HK93
HK MP5 (tho technically a subgun)
AK-47
Bushmaster AR15/M16 variant
Steyr Scout

Shotgun:
Mossberg 500 Defender, 9 rounds of nasty !

Whip,
JS 8 foot Whiskey

and a Lightsaber ! ! Now I'm Indiana Skywalker ! :D

I'll think of more things too I'm sure. I'm just tired now :P

Ken
I gave this yet more thought and determined that I would add the following items:

A Last Legend 24" blade wakizashi or nin-to sword. Small, durable and lethally sharp, rigged for back carry. Good for brush, Hovitos and Nazi cutting.

A custom designed Leather Jacket with the option for Spectra Shield panels and/or a Custom designed load bearing vest/pack system, w/ CamelBak water systems, and body armor options.

Brass knuckles :)

A pair of Tree Climbing spikes

BTW, On the Emerson as a folding knife, you cannot beat the price for performance. Custom knife performance and designer access for approx $ 125.00

I also decided that an original Ka-Bar or older Emerson combat Bowie would be my long knife choice.

I still stand by the "know where you're going" theory of ammo/gun. Real world operators, back me up here. E.g. getting .40 caliber ammo in africa could be a real pain, but finding 9mm is likely to be easier, even moreso than .45 ACP. Same goes for the AK-47 or other gun that eats 7.62 mm ammo; AK parts abound and 7.62 ammo is everywhere, especially in modern day adventure oriented countries. :whip:

Cheers !

Ken
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Some of you have quite the laundry list there. You'll have to hire porters. :) I think you would have to pair it down to a few essentials:

I prefer the Gerber Auto Recoil Multi-Tool over any of the Leatherman-s. The Tool are on the ourside of the handle, the knife can be opened with one hand, and the quick-release pliers are handy.

I think the best combat/ field knife is the Emerson CQC. It has a partially serrated blackened blade, good for cutting rope and blackened for stealth. Plus, it can be opened with one hand, and has that handy clip.

Compass/ GPS is always handy.

Some sort of handgun, which would have to be purchased within the country you were going to and left there when you leave.

That, plus the gear we already have, and we should be all set.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

I still stand by the "know where you're going" theory of ammo/gun. Real world operators, back me up here. E.g. getting .40 caliber ammo in africa could be a real pain, but finding 9mm is likely to be easier, even moreso than .45 ACP. Same goes for the AK-47 or other gun that eats 7.62 mm ammo; AK parts abound and 7.62 ammo is everywhere, especially in modern day adventure oriented countries.
Very true! 9mm Parabellum has been available just about everywhere I've ever travelled. And 7.62X39mm ammo (AK ammunition) is almost as readily available. This is true for Central America, South America and Africa as well. I imagine that most places in Asia would be the same. Believe it or not, 5.56mm/.223 is quite common out there, also.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

Took me awhile to catch this thread.

Okay, personally, if I were going on an Indy Adventure back in the 30's, you'd only find one thing in my holster: Colt M1911-A1 .45, with 10 extra magazines, loaded with 7 rounds a piece and a fresh box of .45 ACP in my MK-VII. (Wait a minute, they didn't have MK-VIIs in the 30's, did they? :? )

If I had to choose a weapon out of Indy's arsenal, then I'd prefer the Raiders combo of the Browning and the S&W.

If I were going on an Indy Style Adventure today? I wouldn't make it through an airport screening checkpoint! :shock: If security checks (both here and abroad), along with foreign firearms laws weren't an issue, then I'd still have to opt fot the 1911-A1, no-frills, no fancy sights or grips, just Mil-spec. Although I would see if Peter could concoct a Kevlar lining for my Wested :wink:

-GCR
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

I'll have to go with what I'm most familiar with: Ruger P89 in 9mm, and a Smith Model 60 Chief's Special in .357/.38 as a backup.

IG
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jack »

i'd take a webley mk 6 .455 revolver, a lee enfield smle, a thompson m1928 a1 and a m3 knife
Texas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Texas Jones »

I'm with Grendel, my Ruger P89 is my favorite. The problem is, getting these things on an airplane. I have never packed a firearm with checked baggage, what are the rules and laws concerning this? I can see it now:

"The man with the hat is back, and this time he's stuck in the stupid airport jail."

"If scaring the heck out of innocent tourists has a name...it must be..."

"INDIANA JONES and the Mugshots of Shame"
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Walther PPK, and as backup... the Golden Gun! Muahaha!
...or the S&W 1917 Hand Ejector E (I think that's it, right?)

For a knife - just a rediculously huge machete... all Indy style. He had the best stuff! Only, I like the PPK as a pistol as much as the S&W.

In Christ,
Shane
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

Texas Jones wrote:I'm with Grendel, my Ruger P89 is my favorite. The problem is, getting these things on an airplane. I have never packed a firearm with checked baggage, what are the rules and laws concerning this? I can see it now:

"The man with the hat is back, and this time he's stuck in the stupid airport jail."

"If scaring the heck out of innocent tourists has a name...it must be..."

"INDIANA JONES and the Mugshots of Shame"
Put it in a locked case and check the case as baggage.

Luke
thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by thunderquack »

Hmmmmmmmm........let me think. Id have to say a Colt .45 government model and my Kbar knife.
AceTachyon
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by AceTachyon »

I'd pack a .45, a 10-inch Bowie and a pump action shotgun.

Lots of ammo.

And some sticks of dynamite in the MkVII.
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Renderking Fisk wrote:Nobody's mentioned a map and compass, either.
Good thought! I'd probably bring a couple of Garmin Rhino 130's for myself and my companion (my wife of course!). Mammut Supersafe climbing rope - a couple of harnesses, belay devices and a bunch of 'biners. For piece of mind i would carry my H&K USP .45 and a Steyr Aug A3 - both for extreme condition reliability. As for knives, the Hubertus Auto 68500hh10 -can't beat Damascus steel! :D

.....Bruce
Last edited by bclead on Thu Nov 25, 2004 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Oh, hey, finally a game those of us who aren't packing can play! I would bring FIRE to scare the natives...(anybody see Black Knight? "Uh...we HAVE fire...")

But this is a gun/holster forum, so I assume firearms were the main intent here, although it was later intentionally expanded to blades.

So take this from what's it's worth, as a non-gun-owner. I just want something that is easy to use, shoots straight, stops anything, and is pretty much indestructable. My meager gun knowledge says Glock for most of that, but how is it for stopping power? (Serious question.)
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

You guys are scaring me. :shock:
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

I guess the point for me is "Indy adventure", like the header says. I wouldn't mind carrying the S&W HE2 and the Browning HP - both excellent firearms.

My Franchi SPAS 12 is a nice enough shotgun, but it's looks won't fit into the entire Indy thing though... :-k
bclead
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by bclead »

Indiana Jerry wrote:
Oh, hey, finally a game those of us who aren't packing can play! I would bring FIRE to scare the natives...(anybody see Black Knight? "Uh...we HAVE fire...")

But this is a gun/holster forum, so I assume firearms were the main intent here, although it was later intentionally expanded to blades.

So take this from what's it's worth, as a non-gun-owner. I just want something that is easy to use, shoots straight, stops anything, and is pretty much indestructable. My meager gun knowledge says Glock for most of that, but how is it for stopping power? (Serious question.)
Having owned a Glock in the past (as well as a Colt, Sig Sauer, and Heckler & Koch) I would say that the H & K Compact USP .45 is hands down the best. Due to concerns of my wife (kids and all) I don't have anything anymore. However, when I did have handguns, the H & K was easily the most accurate as well as having, by far, the least recoil. In addition it is very durable and can operate in very unfavorable conditions without a hitch. And it fits very comfortably in your hand! Also importantly, it is extremely easy to break down, clean and re-assemble. This .45 is not cheap compared to others on the market, but it is well worth the cost.

The Steyr Aug is a modular assault rifle (I have never owned one but I know a very knowledgable person who does!). It also is very durable and can take extreme conditions, including desert conditions, in stride. It is not too big, is very accurate and is very easy to break down, clean and re-assemble.

...........Bruce
Indiana Jerry
Scoundrel
Location: DBSSWWD ~ "This is how we say goodbye to MIMES in Germany!"

Post by Indiana Jerry »

Thanks for taking me seriously - I know I make that hard to do.

And as I understand it, a .45 generally has the power to stop pretty much anything coming at you. Or is that just another uneducated myth about the bigger calibers?

Sounds like that's about what (if I had the knowledge myself) I'd pick for an Indy adventure - something that is reliable, easy, and ends any argument.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Texas Jones wrote:I have never packed a firearm with checked baggage, what are the rules and laws concerning this? I can see it now:
Usually varies from airline to airline. But, if you call ahead and ask there shouldn't be any problems.

I would like to take my Webley to the QM summit but I don't know if I want to risk it. And, I really couldn't bring it out at show and tell.

Pyro
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I just got back from a Hunting trip in New Mexico. I flew out of LaGuardia Airport in NYC.
As long as you declare your firearms when checking in, you should not have a problem. I am thinking rifles here, I am not sure if handguns present a different problem.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Okay, I'm going to have to amend my previous choice. Maybe it's because it's still new, but instead of my P89 in 9mm, I'd have to take my Springfield MilSpec 1911-A1 in .45.

Got it at a show in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, and fell in love with it right away. Great heft and balance, especially with a full clip, and it was a dream to shoot. Unfortunately, after the first clip it started jamming with the last round of every magazine. It's back at the armory now to get that taken care of. Hopefully once it's back it'll be the complete package as a gun by being as reliable as I've heard they are.

I'd still keep the S&W 60 as a backup. It's small enough to easily carry, but big enough to be comfortable in my hands. And either the .357 or .38 rounds will leave a nice hole.

As far as navigation, perhaps my Magellan GPS. It's a pretty low end model, but it's compact and easy to use too. Traditional compass and map as well, though, because you can't always buy AAA batteries in a jungle so I hear.

As far as carrying in your luggage, I took my S&W 60 on a plane when I moved cross country a couple of years back. I had it in a locked case in checked baggage. I informed the guy at the check in counter, and he had me open my suitcase, unlock and open the gun case and show him it was unloaded, all while standing at the American Airlines counter at Dulles with hundreds of people around. This made me a bit nervouse, as it was the day after someone opened fire at the El Al counter at LAX, but fortunately he didn't make me pick up the firearm to show him, but let a quick visual inspection suffice to look behind the empty cylinder.

Keep in mind that you cannot carry ammunition, even in checked baggage. As it's been said, always check with your airline to verify their policies on such things, as they can vary.

Cheers!

IG
Andiana
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Southern California - The home of my 'home away from home'...Disneyland...

Post by Andiana »

I'd bring an 1887 Winchester Lever Action Shotgun, with a sawed-off modification (Just like in The Mummy Returns or Terminator 2)

I'd also bring 2 automatic pistols with a double-shoulder holster rig (like in the Mummy films).

Okay..throw in a Bazooka..... :P

(Ya know, come to think of it, Rick O'connel from the Mummy Films packed alot of heat! I mean, he was pulling guns out of his 'butt' left and right!)
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

Great looking shotgun. Ruger has a new .45 automatic that would be a good piece to carry on an adventure. As usual, its rugged, reliable, and accurate.
Crusader556
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Crusader556 »

I'd go with a 1911 for a sidearm. Maybe something my Kimber Series I. I've put this gun to some use and you can see it in the finish.

As for a rifle I'd take a Springfield Armory Scout Squad. It's got a 2" shorter barrel than the full sized vesion so it's a bit more handy and still packs a punch.

zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Crusader, I have a Kimber that looks *exactly* like yours above. Kimber Custom Classic with walnut double diamond grips.

Like yours, I've worn the finish off of most of mine as well.
Crusader556
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Crusader556 »

Zohar,

Yup the older Kimbers were much simpler and better in my opinion. I'm not a fan of the newer Series II models with the addition Schwartz safety mechanism. :x

Kimber is making small runs of the Series I for special edition pistols but I'm sure I'm not the only one would like them to make the Series I part of their regular product line again.

You may already be aware of this but when the USMC's elite Det1 (SOCOM Detachment 1) tested and selected the Kimber as their ICQB pistol they requested the old style Series 1. Hopefully Kimber takes this hint too heart...

Eitherway the 1911 makes a good Indy pistol. Over the years there have been a few mods and changes but the design is still very close to it's roots. :D
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

A Springfield 1911A1 in a shoulder holster, a Taurus 605 in an ankle holster, and a Mossberg 590 slung over my shoulder. A Schatt & Morgan Texas toothpick in my front pocket.

There is a Ka-Bar somewhere too.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

As great as all this gear is, and don't think I'm not loving seeing everyone's favorite toys, let us not forget that Indy travelled fairly light. A pistol with a couple of spare clips is a lot more portable than a shotgun or rifle with bandolier or magazines. Besides, rifles and shotguns are a bit harder to handle one handed. And if both hands are on the long gun, which hand is holding the whip? :)

Cheers!

IG

Still, keep the gear coming, cumbersome or not. I love seeing what ideas everyone brings to the table.
pigirondan
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by pigirondan »

Well then, a 1911A1 will have to do.
Alabama Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Alabama Jones »

Without hesitation, I'm taking my 1911 Colt 45 Government Issue. Its a "man stopper" and it's time tested. Plus its the original "Indy gun" according to tthe original script concept. I believe the Browning was actually "playing" a 1911 in the film, but I digress. As a backup, I'm packing my S&W 357 magnum revolver, because ... well ... its my other gun. :oops:

The one thing I might add to the "Indy Arsenal" is one of those snakewhip batons I swiped off an SS officer ... for those time when someone gets inside range of the bullwhip. *clough* Pat Roach *cough* :D