Lee Keppler's S&W

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Lee Keppler's S&W

Post by LuckyLighter »

I'm planning on getting Lee's S&W replica, but before I do, I want to hear what people who already have it feel about it.

Are there any alternative--non-toy gun--replicas out there worth knowing about before I buy it?

Also, are there aqny pictures of Lee's Webley replica out there? I've been to his website, but I haven't seen a link for it.
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

There's a guy who frequently sells resin SW replicas on ebay. To my eye they look better than the Keppler gun. The trigger guard appears to be more accurately sized, and it is painted to look more realistic.

Since this auction is over, I think it's safe for me to link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=790

He sells these frequently, so watch for another one in the near future.
Last edited by schwammy on Tue Mar 16, 2004 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

I can't comment on the quality of the product as I don't own any merchandise from Mr. Keppler (yet :twisted: ) However, if you are looking for pics of the Webley Replica I'd check out Western Stage Props:

http://www.westernstageprops.com/miva/m ... y_Code=IJC

It's the second item from the bottom...they seem to have a couple other Keppler itmes on the site as well (The S&W replica, gunbelt and the Holster.)

-GCR
Rabittooth
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rabittooth »

schwammy wrote:There's a guy who frequently sells resin SW replicas on ebay. To my eye they look better than the Keppler gun. The trigger guard appears to be more accurately sized, and it is painted to look more realistic.

Since this auction is over, I think it's safe for me to link to it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... tegory=790

He sells these frequently, so watch for another one in the near future.
I've got that particular replica, and I must say I can't reccomend it. The piece I got was riddled with holes from bubbles in the resin during casting on one whole side of the gun...and I paid FULL price for it. I did my best to fill the holes, sand and re-finish it , but it never looked very good.
Better to not take the chance and get the Keppler IMHO.

-Rabittooth
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

The trigger guard appears to be more accurately sized, and it is painted to look more realistic.
I thought the Keppler trigger guard just needed to have some flash sanded off... :?

/SJ
Arkansas Smith
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Arkansas Smith »

I agree with rabittooth. I also purchased the replica that frequently sells on ebay (about 7 months ago). When I recieved it, the lanyard ring was broken (not packed/shipped well) and it had several of the air bubble holes in it. I filled them, painted the gun, and put in an actual lanyard ring. I am now pretty pleased, but just beware of the originally shipped item.

Arkansas Smith
schwammy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by schwammy »

Good to know.
Glad I didn't buy one.
God bless the internet.
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

I just tried to order a S&W replica from Western Stage Props. A couple days later I got a call saying they couldn't ship the gun--I also bought the holster--because I live in New Jersey and it is against the law for a manufacturer/distributer to ship any kind of gun (toy or real) to my state.

Has anyone else had this problem. The customer service guy said that he might me able to send it to a friend of mine in New Mexico, who could then ship it to me--because private citizens can send guns to each other, while merchants can't.

I can get a real gun more easily than I can get a fake one. That's just wrong, man. That's just wrong.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

You can blame your State's law makers for that, my friend. :? Regards. Michaelson
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Michaelson wrote:You can blame your State's law makers for that, my friend. :? Regards. Michaelson
Yeah, I know. I hope that I didn't come across as if I was bashing Western Stage Props, because they were friendly about it. I'm just frustrated with the situation my state has created, and I wanted to warn other residents of the Garden State who may be thinking about ordering a prop gun that they may have to look for other options.

It's just frustrating, you know.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Totally understand. We had a string about this a while back from folks who live in NYC. The same situation exists there. Regards. Michaelson
jack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jack »

i've just looked at the pictures of the rubber prop, its a mark 4 .38 webley, it isn't a mark 6 .455, but as a visuable prop it looks ok, i'd prefer my real one though

jack
LuckyLighter
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LuckyLighter »

Well, I finally got my prop gun just two days before Halloween. The guy at Western Stage Props was really helpful in offering my an alternative. He said that if I know someone in a state that does not prohibit the sale of fake guns, I can have him buy it and ship it to me once it arrives, which would be completely legal.

Fortunately, I have a friend in New Mexico, so he bought the gun for me, and once he got it, shipped it out second day mail to New Jersey. And I was able to have a 99% complete Indy costume for the Halloween parties I went to. (I say 99% because I won't be happy till I get a Wested)
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

LuckyLighter wrote:
Michaelson wrote:You can blame your State's law makers for that, my friend. :? Regards. Michaelson
Yeah, I know. I hope that I didn't come across as if I was bashing Western Stage Props, because they were friendly about it. I'm just frustrated with the situation my state has created, and I wanted to warn other residents of the Garden State who may be thinking about ordering a prop gun that they may have to look for other options.

It's just frustrating, you know.
We are long past due to speak up on these issues with guns in our state. Anyone interested in lobbying to get the laws to match reality here in the People's Republic of New Jersey ? I am ! PM Me !

JJ
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

When I went to Las Vegas, I visited WSP with my Dad and Mom (I must say my father was like a kid in a candy store) and I had my Belt, holster, and rubber SW sent to me in little ol' Rhode Island....not a problem, just in time for Halloween too! Their products aren't too bad, the only thing taht bothers me is the keeper on the belt is too thin, but that's only minor details. Speaking of details, on the HE they duplicated every ding and nick from the prop, right down to a chip on the chamber release switch. BTW: does anyone really know what the purpose of the lanyard ring is for? It may be a dumb/obvious question but I gots to know.

Indy N. :wink:

(Sorry Lucky for hi-jacking your thread ](*,) #-o )
skywlkr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by skywlkr »

The lanyard ring is for the lanyard the soldier would have around his neck to keep the gun teathered to him in the event that he drops it.

Luke
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You'll even find lanyard rings on older police revolvers, too. :wink:

bink
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

](*,) oooh that makes sense #-o .

Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

So, what's the general opinion regarding Keppler's rubber S&W? Does it have a nice feel to it? Sturdy? Brittle? Good/lasting paint job?
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I've seen one in person at the Gettysburg summit. While it is a cool looking piece, it still looks like a painted toy gun. The grips on the one I saw kind of stood out as shiny brown paint. Also, the trigger doesn't pull, and there are no other moving parts.
I don't know about you, but half the fun in a toy gun, is to be able to pull that trigger, and at least get some sound out of it.
'Blues
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

I'm holding the gun in my hands as we "speak". It really looks cool and all and it scared the bejezzus out of a few of my friends, but I'm just kicking myself for spending $75.00 on this thing. It feels relatively(sp) light. It is by far a great display piece. The only thing that really bothers me is the trigger ring---it looks rather thick (if that wouold be the word). BTW: the Keppler S & W is teh same as the WSP gun, right?

Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

As far as I'm aware, it's the same gun. I have one too. It's nice. I did drill out the barrel about one inch inside to give it a more realistic appearance. Here's a pic of it with my real S&W (before I had the real one converted to a 4 inch barrel and a ramped site)