Cabelas Jackets

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

thunderquack
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Cabelas Jackets

Post by thunderquack »

I was browsing the newest Cabelas catalog making out my wish list and came across two good looking jackets. For those of you with the fall master catalog please refer to it for this question.Page 178 Adventurer Jacket and page 210 Bush Pilots jacket Which looks better for Indy? To me, they both look like they would fit the bill, but what do you guys think?
chaddyboy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by chaddyboy »

I think the adventure jacket looks like a really good Indy jacket, and is pretty cheap too! Too bad it only comes in cowhide.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Are you talking about this jacket:
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templ ... lts1.jhtml ?
(Boy, that's some link!)
For $20 or so dollars more, you could have a custom fit Wested. Why go anywhere else?
Feraud
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Feraud »

I have the catalog and saw that jacket. It looks good. As Hemingway Jones said for a few bucks more you have a custom Wested.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Spend the money on a Wested and go for the jacket the REAL namesake wore! :wink:

bink
chaddyboy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by chaddyboy »

$20 more, try 60-100 dollars more, my wested costed $310, these are going for 220-240.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Wested:
$250 up to size 46 - I am 6’2” and 205lbs. and I wear a 44L, so it was $250 (Actually a little less then when the exchange was better)
$280 up to size 50
$305 size 52+
Shipping is $35, unless you buy the pants and shirt (which I would do)

That’s it for Wested’s charges. So, $280 for me, shipped.
(Then of course the government taxes you another $20 or so for Duty, but that’s not Wested’s fault)

So, if I read their site right, the Cabelas is $240 for an XL Tall, plus whatever shipping is. Let’s be generous and say, $15.

It’s $280 for a Wested 100% authentic Indy-jacket from the man who made them for Harrison OR
$265 for some mass-produced piece of junk with a laughably bad lining made God-knows-where and stored in a warehouse until someone buys one.
As they say on Fox News, We report, you decide.
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

current rates are 265 Dollars for 145 pounds. With that difference I can only guess that the other charges and taxes would be abit more also. So you might want to add another 20 dollars to Hemingways post.
IndianaFist
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaFist »

P.S. Indys coat doesnt have Cuffs nor is it made of Cow. The real jacket made of the real material for 40 or 80 dollars more is well worth it.
Go Wested! :D
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Alright, Fist,
I concede that. I did not do the calculation for today, because to do so would be inaccurate: the rate fluctuates daily. World currency markets are extremely volatile at the moment and since most people purchase through credit cards and credit cards usually offer their customers the best rate during a period of 30 days, I thought it made more sense to use an average rate of exchange for my model and low and behold, the averages were very close to what Wested had on their website, so I simply used theirs for my example.

This is not to undermine the basic point of my argument that an inferior jacket close in price to a Wested is simply not worth it. If the jackets were $100, they would be; I would buy one (But I would replace the liner!).

Actually, without being too tough on Cabelas, which is a company I admire greatly, my advice would be, hold out for a used Wested. It would be partially broken in already and it would have the provenance of another member’s ownership.
But that’s just my opinion and I could be wrong.
Flattery
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Flattery »

*squints at Cabela's jacket* Is that camoflauge lining?
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

It's actually a lining that looks like a map, with an Indy-esque plane thrown in here and there. I would think twice about his jacket. Although it is a nice jacket, it's great for the winter, and it's soft leather, it is a far cry from Indys jacket.
First off the color is more of a reddish brown, unlike a true brown that you would find on a Wested, FS, or USWings.
Second, the snap cuffs are just wrong. Very useful, but not Indy.
I used to own this exact jacket, and I was hoping it would fit the Indy bill, and it fell short. Great jacket, but not really an Indy.
Trust me. :wink:
'Blues
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

I purchased one about 5 years ago. I think Cabela's purchased them in bulk and put their name on them. This is one of the jackets they used to sell at Disneyland as an Indy jacket. :? It's a good heavy jacket - like Blues said great for colder weather. When the weather gets cold this is the jacket I normally use. The cow leather is very soft and drapes well. I've received several compliments on how good it looks. Yes the liner is a world map, but I don't wear it inside out. Is it inaccurate? This thing isn't even close! Is it inferior? Not hardly.