A Perfect Strain!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

A Perfect Strain!

Post by indy81 »

:lol: Must be whip week here at COW. :D I too had splurged here recently and ordered one of Strain's 8', 12 plait, saddle tan Indy whips. When I first got it out of the box I could tell that this was of amazing quality. I can honestly say it's more beautiful than I could have ever imagined and was completely worth every cent spent on it. Joe Strain makes an incredible whip. Got it Tuesday and sadly :( haven't been able to use it yet because of the weather. It has been raining all week here. Seems like that has happened before to somebody else. Do whips bring rain? :-k Finally, today it is sunny and clear, perfect day for whipin'. So I'm going to get out there and get to crackin'. I'll let you know how that goes.:wink:

Regards,
'81

You can find a couple pics of it at the very bottom of the page. Sorry it's not too organized.
http://www26.brinkster.com/neo153/jonesgear.html
zohar
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by zohar »

Wow, another beautiful whip from Mr. Strain.

I believe you will be very pleased with your investment.

One tip: Get some of Joe's PolyPro poppers. They are less apt to tangle, and won't damage your whip like the bonded nylon can.
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

Just got back from my first whipcracking experience..... :D AWESOME :D !! Worked up a pretty good sweat, and walked away with my first battle wound. Got me nicely across my knuckle. Can't wait to get back out there!

Regards,
"81

He sent me an extra fall and some poppers. Could one venture to say that these are the PolyPro poppers and not just the reg nylon black poppers?
indy81
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indy81 »

:shock: Second time out and I broke the tip of the fall off! :( Somebody help! Don't know exactly how much came off cause I couldn't find it. Do I just attach a new popper and go on?

Regards,
'81
jerryrwm
Vendor

Post by jerryrwm »

You'll find that end of the fall and cracker the next time you mow. The rest of the time those little rascals are extremely good at hiding in the grass!

Measure your fall and you'll know what leaves when it happens again, and it will at some point or another. It will also let you know what length of fall you need. When the whip almost goes off by itself, measure the fall at that point. That is your fine tuned length, and you should make the futrue falls that length for optimim performance.

Just tie a new cracker on and have at it again. But...this time without so much force. Betcha it blew off right about the time you were doing one of those monster cracks huh?

Jerry R