Got IT!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Got IT!

Post by Indy_Fil »

So happy.

:)
Rob
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Rob »

Great! Was it an adventure in itself to find?
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

lol

Yes.

Still not finished.
I followed you guys' suggestion to look into auctionarms and search with the right search string :)

A few models popped up.
Now it needs to be restored, not cut for now (maybe I'll look for a shorter barrel, maybe I'll just keep it as is), and shipped to me :)
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Scandinavia Jones »

So happy.
So jealous.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

LoL

Dont. I might have good news for you all in a while :)

Ciao Scandinavian!

Fil
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Great. Now I'm jealous AND curious! :wink:
What's up your sleeve, Indy_Fil?
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

LoL!

Cant tell ya for now. Might be nice news though :D

Mickey, in fact. By restoring wuz just meaning to clean it up a bit, not taking away the test of time. I would have to weather it myself otherwise :)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I wouldn't cut the barrel down. Keep it as it is. You can get a longer holster just as easily.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Exactly. Will keep it long (and I like it a lot, too: BIG gun) lol

Well the news (seems I can already talk about it) is that, basically, a very talented prop maker will cast my gun (resin most likely) and make it available for ALL interested.

This guy is very talented. The goal is to make it appear (by means of painting and weathering) EXACTLY like the real thing.

Will see.

And will keep you posted.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

And regarding a longer holster, I recently got this one (original WWI Webley):

I wonder if it'll fit?
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Indianamikey, yes it is legal to have the barrel of a handgun shortenend. Having said that, I agree with Renderking, et al...I wouldn't cut the barrel on this fine old revolver!

Ron
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

No, cutting it down will only destroy it's "collector" value. But it's not illegal. But if you do cut it down, definately find a quality gunsmith to do the job. I had Jack DeVore in Arizona work on my S&W and he did a wonderful job.

Here's my S&W HE2 before cutting (next to my Keppler replica)

Here it is now after conversion
Last edited by Minnesota Jones on Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Fil, THA'S A PERFECT HOLSTER FOR THAT PISTOL... as long as it fits. If it doesn’t, I would get another holster that does. Through out this forum there are links to Leather workers (Leather smiths?) who can make you a custom “IndyGear” holster for your hand-cannon.

I'm dead set against cutting antique items down or modifying them to suit modern purposes UNLESS the time's far gone and you're going to refurbish it anyway.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

'bsolutely :)
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Besides, longer barrel will shoot straighter :lol:
Minnesota Jones
Admin Emeritus

Post by Minnesota Jones »

I almost didn't cut my down. Almost. I thought about it from a historical perspective and my gear collection perspective. Yes, I was destroying the value of the gun by having it cut down into an "Indy" version, but (always a "but") would I ever sell it? And would I be more happier with my movie accurate version? So I took the plunge. For me, I'm much happier with it and it's still a beautiful piece.

Again, cutting it isn't for everyone. And weight your decision before doing it. You can't go back. Some people have picked up a second barrel, and cut that one and replaced it so you can always change it back. That's another option too.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Minnesota Jones wrote: Some people have picked up a second barrel, and cut that one and replaced it so you can always change it back. That's another option too.
That option I like :)
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

I dont mind at all Mike, I owe it to this forum.

$375 total :)

Auctionarms. You can still see the auction (ended) I guess.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Riding the Mongolian steppes......or London, England.

Post by Skippy »

That is one VERY nice gun, for a very nice price! :mrgreen:

On the subject of cutting the barrel & devaluing the 'collector's price', I figure differently...

Given the value of these handguns, it's not the most sought after model of gun going, other than to......[drum roll]......Indy Gear collectors!
With that in mind, one which has had a good job done on having the barrel converted, in Indy circles is actually likely to fetch a higher price IMO, because the gun is rare & the hard part of making it authentic to the film prop is already done.

In the Star Wars prop collecting circles I move in, a real or original MAUSER converted to a blaster would certainly fetch a higher price than an unconverted one.

Still, long or short barrel, nice snag! :P
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

There are philosophical, financial, and emotional reasons to consider both paths, as we have all seen. Minnesota and I both got ours about the same time; since then, he went to Jack DeVore to get his modified. I haven't had the resources to do so (which provided a nice comparison a little over a year ago on that big boat...<à la Homer Simpson: "Mmmm...firearms and good single malt Scotch...Rrrarrgh....":wink:> ).

I've had mine so long now in its original form that the desire to fire the thing has (at least for the time being) won out over surgery. During a short road trip a couple of weeks ago, I dropped my .455 at a local gunsmith for field cleaning and testing for firing. Upon our return, I picked it up, and the gunsmith on duty told me what a great nostalgic time they had admiring its solid construction...and in firing 12 rounds from it (the only charge under the "Parts" portion of the bill...)! The comment from the gunsmith that sticks with me, though , is "Made in America...Sold to the Limeys [his comment, not mine; no offense intended]...and it ends up in New Mexico, and then Tucson, Arizona. Quite a trip!" I do have to admit that made me smile! :D

Now I'm beginning to wonder which of the above paths to take.... Do I want a "real" Indy gun, or do I leave it like South Park: "Bigger, Longer and Uncut"... :roll: . The internal struggle (and quest for potential financial resources) goes on.

Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

HJ Snr. wrote:
I've had mine so long now in its original form that the desire to fire the thing has (at least for the time being) won out over surgery.
I presume it would still be fireable if chopped down?

Besides, doesn't this pic from another thread here tug you in the direction of shortening that badboy :P

I know it makes me wish we could have handguns over here still :roll:
Henry Jones Sr.
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Henry Jones Sr. »

Skippy wrote:I presume it would still be fireable if chopped down?
Oh, yeah, it'd still be fireable. The standard 262 grain (sometimes 255 grain) .455 load is, in the words of one of the gunsmiths that worked on mine, "a very mild load", and the definitely meant for close quarters work, but I'm still looking forward to it! :D The load is mostly a result of the relatively "young" firearms metallurgical science when the gun was manufactured; it really isn't meant nor able to handle any of the ultra high-power loads of more contemporary weapons. It's still a large-framed, intimidating presence (no .50 Desert Eagle or anything), and it's the one I've always wanted.
Skippy wrote:Besides, doesn't this pic from another thread here tug you in the direction of shortening that badboy :P

I know it makes me wish we could have handguns over here still :roll:
Yeah, I'll probably go that route; like Minnesota, I got the gun for its "Indy properties". I'm not really a collector (yet... :-k)), but even so, I'm not planning on selling it...ever. Besides, as you can see from Minnesota's picture above, if anyone is going to be modifying my gun, I'd be proud to be able to say, "That's Jack DeVore's artistry." More than anything else right now (and as has been for some time now), the financial resources are more the stopping block for me. Ah, well...in time everything shall work out.... It's already better than a year ago at this time, all-in-all. :D

As for gun ownership laws of other lands, much less this one, that subject has been hashed and rehashed here and other places, with no real result other than steam release and maybe making some of us at least think about it a little more. Those of use who have been around a while pretty much know where we each sit on the subject, and those who are newer have the benefit of being able to check the archives. I'll leave it alone this time. :wink:

Sincere regards,

Henry Jones, Sr.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

RonC wrote:Indianamikey, yes it is legal to have the barrel of a handgun shortenend. Having said that, I agree with Renderking, et al...I wouldn't cut the barrel on this fine old revolver!

Ron
Ron, where you been? Tip's been askin' about you.

PM or call me sometime.

pyro
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

HEY...you people...one can't selfishly showoff HIS onw thing and you start debating LoL

Just kidding.

A few interesting things I read.
Need further thinking.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Skippy wrote:
Besides, doesn't this pic from another thread here tug you in the direction of shortening that badboy :P

In that photo, we were shooting UMC .45 ACP, 185 Grain ammo that you can pick up at almost any Wal-Mart. The gun is about 65+ years old and still works great. I talked to many people and they admit that the 4 inch S&W looks great. Die hard collectors, however, shutter at the thought of chopping the barrel in that manner.

I am planning on taking the video camera out to the range this week. I'll get some good video of that gun.

Pyro.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Indy Fil, pm sent re: your new project.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

PMs replied :)
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Pyro, I'm probably heading to Tip's tomorrow....yes, I'm STILL alive!

Ron
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Pyroxene that pic is just awesome! :D

Look forward to seeing some video & hearing some sounds too :P
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Here you go. I quickly put this together in about 30 mins and added some music to stuff I filmed on Friday.

It's Microsoft .wmv format, 7.2 Mb, Running Time: 2:15

Enjoy.
Pyroxene
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with the question of "to cut or not to cut"? I bought Ron C's piece already "Indy-ized" with all the conversions! All I had to do was find the correct grips (which I've since done). It's a great looking gun and fires perfectly!

Regards,

Dr. J
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Pyroxene, thank you!

Very nice clip.

Will keep watching, and watching, and....
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Finally managed to download & view that film of Pyroxene at the range :D

Love the way that S&W kicks like a mule & it looks like you've got quite meaty paws to hold that thing with as well! So goodness knows what would happen if I shot it with my little hands! :P

& next time I want to see some rock'n'roll with that HP. Full mag unload as fast as possible :twisted:
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Fil... does that hand-cannon fit that old Webley holster or not?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

It should, Ren. From what I've read here and there the 1917 and MKVI are close enough in general size that they should both fit the same holster. They carry the same basic calibre, so I would imagine this is true.

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed. The big old N-frame and the Webley MkVI are about the same size and length, so that holster would probably fit fine. Personally, for a beauty like the one shown in the first post, I'd have a custom flap holster made if it were mine. I'd also leave that beauty the same length, and just have it restored to it's original condition, then enjoy the heck out it as is. Regards. Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

I agree! I keep seeing them online from time to time and wishing I had the money!

bink
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Last one I had in my hand in the condition as shown in the first post was in 1986. It was offered to me for $300, complete with gold medallions, and I'm still a bit irked at myself for not trying harder to get it. :cry: Regards. Michaelson
Shishak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Shishak »

I dropped by a gun shp earlier this week and they actually had a 1917! And, for $285!!! Unfortunately, since it was not in the state that I actually live, they wouldn't even take it out of the case to show it to me. :? I used to have a license to carry in that state too, but since I moved it's invalid. Oh well, I may have to have someone buy it for me. It's a great gun and I'd love to add it to my collection. Does three guns constitute a collection? It didn't have the ring on the bottom (what's the technical term for it?), and I didn't notice the medallions on the grip. But the price sure seemed right to me regardless.
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Shishak wrote: Unfortunately, since it was not in the state that I actually live, they wouldn't even take it out of the case to show it to me. :?
That seems odd. Do they value it as an antique?
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Pyroxene wrote:
Shishak wrote: Unfortunately, since it was not in the state that I actually live, they wouldn't even take it out of the case to show it to me. :?
That seems odd. Do they value it as an antique?
Hi, Dont think so. It was propbably just them being rude.

Well guys, I havent gotten it YET in MY hands but the guy that will work on it (to make cast offs to be made available for fans) just got it and told me SHE is a beauty. The pic above in my first post is seemingly very bad.

The gun looks and feels way better "in person".

Naturally I'll show you pics as soon as I get them.

Stay tuned if you wish.

Ciao,

Fil :)
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Got it:

if you want to see more pics:

http://rpf.prop-planet.com/viewtopic.ph ... 41&forum=1

Heee Haw!

:)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Wow! :shock: Now you can go play Rick O'Connell in the first scene from 'The Mummy Returns'. Your Smith is what Smith and Wesson reintroduced a few years back, but with a round butt frame. Yours is the real thing! I'm envious, and happy for you at the same time. That's a KEEPER!!! Regards. Michaelson :tup:
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

Michealson,
if you draw your gun as quickly as you do with your posts, you're the man :)

Thank you SO much for your kind words.

And actually, thanks to the whole forum.

I wouldnt have had this dream come true without it.

Sincerely hoping to give the favour back.

Ciao!

FIl :)

In case anyone is interested with the casting that is being done of this gun, you can contact directly bowjunkie35 at the address I gave up above (the RPF forum).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Draw? Nah...shotgun. (grins)

High regards. Michaelson
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

lol

ciao :)
Skippy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Skippy »

Now that is a thing of beauty =P~ The finish is just fantastic :D

Big congrats! :mrgreen:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

So that's a casting of your original revolver or is it just the same one cleaned up? It's too early in the morning for my brain to figure it out. (Pouring more coffee....)
bink
Scandinavia Jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

binkmeisterRick wrote:
So that's a casting of your original revolver or is it just the same one cleaned up? It's too early in the morning for my brain to figure it out. (Pouring more coffee....)
My thoughts exactly, except without the coffee.
Indy_Fil
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy_Fil »

lol lol and, lol.

Ciao.

No that's THE original gun, cleaned up in the sense that it's been cleaned with a soft cloth lol

NO other action has been done.

The pic has been taken better though lol

I was lucky I guess :)
Casting is being made as we speak, and I will be able to show (through the guy you'll find at the above link) the results hopefully soon.