WESTED SHIRT AND PANTS

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

thePawn
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

WESTED SHIRT AND PANTS

Post by thePawn »

For those who have ordered both the Noel Howard and Wested version of the Raiders shirt and pants, which set do you believe is better in quality and color to the movie. Does the Wested pants have that "pink" hue?
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Read this for the shirt:
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8067

Then there's this for both the shirt and the pants:
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7625

And lastly, there are some good photos of the pants here:
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7967

In Christ,
Shane
Tennessee Harper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Tennessee Harper »

My biggest question is:

Are the pants washable or are they dry clean only?

Just curious....
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Tennessee, as I understand it they are dry-clean only.
Marcus Petrius
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Marcus Petrius »

So what happens when you attempt to wash them yourself (I would even considering machine-washing)?

Mike
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

Well I'm not quite sure... :-k

IF they are dry-clean only, they might shrink I suppose? Or the fabric might 'wierd-out' on you?

I'm no expert on washing garments by any stretch of the imagination- just ask my wife! - but I think machine washing a dry-clean only garment couldn't be good news!

Be it on your own head! :shock:
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

Marcus Petrius wrote:So what happens when you attempt to wash them yourself (I would even considering machine-washing)?

Mike
I have used the Dryel. It's a good way to care for "Dry Clean Only" garments at home. And, you don't have to worry about the cleaners pressing a crease down the front of the pants leg.

Pyro
Continent
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Continent »

If you wash a pair of "Dry Clean Only" pants in a machine and dry them, you will be left with something that only slightly resembles a pair of pants.

On screen, Jones' pants have a soft, dull look to them, even before he was dragged behind the truck. The pants that come from MBA and Wested seem to have a more finished appearance. If these pants were machine washed, they might take on that softer, screen-worn look. However, you still run the risk of damaging the pants, so take care.

If you decide that you would like to try machine washing, I would first go to the thrift store and pick up a pair of cheap, used dress pants and experiment on them first. Just remember:

*Aways wash in cold water .
*Hang to dry--Never put them in the dryer.
*Be prepared to iron them once dry.
*It is probably best to try this with a pair of pants that are already a bit larger and baggier that you need them; they will likely shrink as the fibers tighten during washing.
*Once machine washed, the pants will no longer have that finished dressy look; they will look more servicable than posh.

Dress pants such as these are made of wool--cavalry wool, at that--a strong fiber that is quite tough despite its appearance, so you probably don't have to baby it.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Better yet, don't put them in the washing machine, wash them by hand in a tub or large clean bucket. You could use an appropriate detergent and just slosh 'em about in a tub of cold water for a while, working the entire garment. Then rinse them under cold water and make sure you get all the detergent out. Hang dry. Viola! I have a heavy wool shirt I wash by hand and hang to dry. It works great!

bink