SW HE2/1917 in 'You Only Live Twice?"

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

SW HE2/1917 in 'You Only Live Twice?"

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

I was watching "You Only Live Twice" on Spike TV's Bond marathon day, and it looks like the gun that Bloefeld pulls on Bond towards the end of the film might be a SW HE2 or a 1917. It has the lanyard ring on the bottom, and I caught a glimpse of a medallion on it, but without a still I can't be sure. Anyone have the flick on DVD who could try some screen grabs? I tried checking it out on the net but the only still I could get was an awful angle:

http://bondmovies.com/stills/yolt/48.jpg

Dunno, thought it was worth posting though to get the benefit of some COW hands' expertise :wink:
GCR
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by GCR »

It's tough to tell from the angle of that screen shot, but in that pic it looks more like a British design. A Webley or an Enfield perhaps?

-GCR
Peacock's Eye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Peacock's Eye »

A Webley or an Enfield would have also been my guess.
Amaziah Rimfire
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Amaziah Rimfire »

Looks more like a Webley to me. The gun in the picture looks like it's either cocked or has a hammer spur showing, but the Enfield was double action only and did not have a spur on the hammer.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Amaziah, while I agree with your assessment that the revolver shown is a Webley, there were versions of the Enfield manufactured with a hammer spur. They are rather rare to find nowadays, but every once in a while, you stumble upon one at a gunshow down here. Check this link for a photo:
http://www.marketgarden.com/new/gear/gear3.htm

Ron
Amaziah Rimfire
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Amaziah Rimfire »

Interesting pic. Must be a really early Enfield with those walnut grips. Most of the Enfields I have seen have looked like the thumbnail at the top of that page with no hammer spur, black plastic grips with a sort of a "thumb groove" near the top, and a painted black finish. Crude but effective.
RonC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by RonC »

Amaziah, you are correct in your assumption. This is an early-war Enfield. They did away with the walnut grips...as well as the hammer spur in later production batches.