Terrible Photoshop of the fedora on DoD Hard Copy

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Terrible Photoshop of the fedora on DoD Hard Copy

Post by The Aviator »

Is it just me, or have they purposefully photoshopped the fedora to have more Raiders ‘mushroom’ effect? It looks very odd to my eye…

Gerry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Terrible Photoshop of the fedora on DoD Hard Copy

Post by Hollowpond »

I think all of the press stuff used in DOD was subpar. Price of living in a digital world maybe?
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Yeah, I think it is different than the movie... :-k
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Yepper! It is 'mushroomed' like "Raiders"! Photoshopped, or something similar! W>
Indiana Jon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Jon »

I think "purposefully" is being used generously here. They probably just cropped it out of the original image poorly, didn't notice/care, and moved on. Design is all but dead when it comes to this sort of thing.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Aside from the mushrooming, it's also too narrow. Ford would need side dents in his head for this to fit!

The only poster image of Indy I've liked so far has been for the documentary when he's in total shadow and it's purposeful. Not badly photoshopped to hide Ford or make him secondary to everyone else. I still don't get why they hid Indy in everything instead of celebrating him.

Can't wait for Mark Raats' take on the poster!! :TOH:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

I will start on mine in the next few days Mike.
M
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:57 pm Aside from the mushrooming, it's also too narrow. Ford would need side dents in his head for this to fit!
Mike, that was hilarious, I almost spit out my coffee! :rolling:

Just the image of HF with side dents... :lol:

Cheers,
Bear
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Mark Raats wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:54 pm I will start on mine in the next few days Mike.
I'm as giddy as a schoolboy!

Don't forget...use LOTS of obscuring shadows!! :P
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Mike wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:57 pm Aside from the mushrooming, it's also too narrow. Ford would need side dents in his head for this to fit!

The only poster image of Indy I've liked so far has been for the documentary when he's in total shadow and it's purposeful. Not badly photoshopped to hide Ford or make him secondary to everyone else. I still don't get why they hid Indy in everything instead of celebrating him.

Can't wait for Mark Raats' take on the poster!! :TOH:
This part I get! The artist was probably thinking of him as 'The ever, always, over-shadow of Indy'! ie: he's always there -- somewhere -- in the background of everything that's happening ;) ! Just my two cents on this -- but it's still not a very good poster! W>
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Its best not to be too critical of the artist because I know that some random art director can insist on the most illogical changes and this often reflects in the final artwork.

It's partly why I have decided to retire from doing Studio work because projects these days are no longer fun. It was easy when I started because I only dealt with George and perhaps 5 other people in his close circle and I always knew who I had to keep happy and that was George - and I knew exactly what he wanted to see.

These days artwork is not going to only one person - Kathy Kennedy, JJ Abrams or James Mangold - it goes to a Disney/Lucasfilm committee and so the artist never knows who needs to be kept happy.

Posters today are cheap, easy to produce layered photoshop files that the studios have 100% control over.
Traditionally rendered poster art is sadly yet another casualty of the instant gratification, digitally infected world we live in today.

M
bearbeast
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by bearbeast »

That is such a shame, I miss the old classic posters. It does seem all posters today are quickly thrown together and don't leave much of and impression. :(

Cheers,
Bear