D Rings or Buckles?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Lightning43
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

D Rings or Buckles?

Post by Lightning43 »

Hi all, this is my first post here! After having been an Indiana Jones fan all my life and watching Dial of Destiny, I wanted to finally buy a jacket from Wested! I ended up preferring a Custom Raiders jacket and noticed I had some choices... d-rings or buckles? Apparently buckles were used in mostly the first two and then d-rings for the rest of the franchise. I prefer the d-rings for the sake that they remained mostly consistent to the end for the fifth film. I also wanted to run this question by anyone because I can't find a straight forward answer on Google in terms of which one stays in place better.

So for the Indy jacket owners, did you choose d-rings or buckles? Any insight is much appreciated!
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Re: D Rings or Buckles?

Post by Indiana Croft »

Welcome, you’re going to like it here.
Good people.

Now for my S&J DoD, Diegomkept it faithful to the movie with D rings, they’ve never moved unless I move them, they stay tight.
Same with my S&J truck chase which has the buckles, they to stay put. The tines are tight up against the strap, not peirced through.
So if you’re going Wested for your DoD, D rings are screen accurate.

And others will probably echo this sentiment.

Once again welcome and keep,your wallet close at hand, the jacket is just the start.

Croft :mrgreen:
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Welcome, and I agree. Go with whichever buckles goes with the movie you're basing your jacket on. Same as snaps on a Raiders or ToD jacket, IMO.

It could also depend on what leather you're choosing, but I'd say if you're going with Raiders for your whole look, go with the buckles. My S&J doesn't even have the tines and it stays in place.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

I have two Wested LC/CS Jackets. One in pre-distressed brown cow and the other in a striated black cow! I ordered the brown with d-rings, but switched out to brass buckles and would not go back for anything -- love 'um! So, with the black version -- I ordered originally with buckles too and feel the same way regarding it! Just works better for me. I like 'screen-accuracy' to a small degree, but not enough to change how I like items to fit and work for me! W>
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

If your jacket is going to be worn as an every day item then I prefer the D-rings - even though I know that its not - as in the case of my Raiders jackets - SA.

I prefer the leather upholstery in my car and home to remain in one piece and have found the buckles can create unwelcome havoc if I am sitting wearing the jacket.
M
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Mark Raats wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:17 pmI prefer the leather upholstery in my car and home to remain in one piece and have found the buckles can create unwelcome havoc if I am sitting wearing the jacket.
Good point. Didn' think of that, but now another reason I'm glad I ordered my S&J without the prongs. :TOH:
drewgarcia618
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by drewgarcia618 »

I’m going to hop in and give my vote to buckles. I’ve never had any buckles cause any issues marking up furniture or car seats. I’ve always felt they hold better than the D-rings.

I have owned a few jackets over the years, and the only buckle I thought could be a problem was my US Wings Cape Buffalo. Those buckles are pointy. Solved that with a small file, delicate hand, and some sandpaper to finish it up. I ended up cutting that buckle off cause I thought I’d like D-Rings better. I didn’t :-k

Obviously it’s all a preference thing, but I think if I could design my “perfect” Indy jacket, it’d have:
•Dial Body
•Raiders Gussets and Straps
•Temple Buckles
•Crusade/Crystal Skull Storm flap snaps (but hidden)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Agreed that the only buckles I've had concerns with was that batch from USWings, but I replaced them with different buckles and have never had a problem since. My first Indy jacket is a Wested circa 2000 and it has D rings. I don't notice a difference in fit or function among my jackets that have buckles vs rings.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff