what is the most screen accurate indiana jones raiders of the lost arc jacket avaliable ?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Sliper8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

what is the most screen accurate indiana jones raiders of the lost arc jacket avaliable ?

Post by Sliper8 »

I'm trying to find what would be the most screen accurate indiana jones jacket for raiders of the lost arc

but I would also be curious to what the most screen accurate jackets are for the other movies
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: what is the most screen accurate indiana jones raiders of the lost arc jacket avaliable ?

Post by Hollowpond »

I'm not an authority on stitch-by-stitch screen accurateness, but I don't think you can go wrong with Steele and Jones. I got their Raiders Truck Jacket in cowhide (not the SA hide), but I've seen some on here that were in a SA lamb and they looked like they leapt off of the screen.

I'd refer this thread
viewtopic.php?t=73272
:TOH:
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: what is the most screen accurate indiana jones raiders of the lost arc jacket avaliable ?

Post by BossThreads »

Bill Kelso or Steele & Jones
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Agree. Steele and Jones. Understanding that there were different jackets in different scenes of the movie, you can match any with Steele and Jones attention to detail and outstanding customer service, right down to the distressing.
Sliper8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sliper8 »

BossThreads wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:50 am Bill Kelso or Steele & Jones
are the two jackets very different like any positives or negatives that the other brand doesn't have ?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Steele and Jones offer full customization, sizing, distressing, whatever. Bill Kelso offers some measurement customization, but no distressing and no modification of the overall patterns. Steele and Jones are very responsive and keep in touch. Kelso is a bit reserved in their communication. Overall, there are a lot of similarities in the patterns, each with the open neck draping down off the shoulders like the original. They each offer a good lambskin. The last time I ordered from Kelso the hide had become very grainy and a little thin for my tastes, but that varies batch to batch. I haven’t bought a Steele and Jones in their new lambskin yet, but their previous hide was spot on and I’d expect this one to be also.
Sliper8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sliper8 »

Tibor wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:19 am Steele and Jones offer full customization, sizing, distressing, whatever. Bill Kelso offers some measurement customization, but no distressing and no modification of the overall patterns. Steele and Jones are very responsive and keep in touch. Kelso is a bit reserved in their communication. Overall, there are a lot of similarities in the patterns, each with the open neck draping down off the shoulders like the original. They each offer a good lambskin. The last time I ordered from Kelso the hide had become very grainy and a little thin for my tastes, but that varies batch to batch. I haven’t bought a Steele and Jones in their new lambskin yet, but their previous hide was spot on and I’d expect this one to be also.
yeah cool so there both about the same accuracy ?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Sliper8 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:58 am
Tibor wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:19 am Steele and Jones offer full customization, sizing, distressing, whatever. Bill Kelso offers some measurement customization, but no distressing and no modification of the overall patterns. Steele and Jones are very responsive and keep in touch. Kelso is a bit reserved in their communication. Overall, there are a lot of similarities in the patterns, each with the open neck draping down off the shoulders like the original. They each offer a good lambskin. The last time I ordered from Kelso the hide had become very grainy and a little thin for my tastes, but that varies batch to batch. I haven’t bought a Steele and Jones in their new lambskin yet, but their previous hide was spot on and I’d expect this one to be also.
yeah cool so there both about the same accuracy ?
Both are top notch. I’d just say that Kelso jackets are built a little better, but not drastically. Besides that it all depends on who has the better batch of leather at the time.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

And the S&J price is unbeatable. I paid $390 for a fully custom, jacket hand distressed to my specifications (although they can do SA very well AND the distressing is done pre-assembly to save stitches!!!). Granted the SA lamb is a little more (I opted for cow for durability issues), but it is still $100 less than the Kelso and you can get it distressed. To me that makes the S&J the better value.

Don't think you can go wrong either way though :tup:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Keep in mind a screen accurate ROTLA jacket sits off the shoulders in a way that some people find odd. Sometimes screen accurate isn't necessarily for everyone. But someone like Steel and Jones or even Kelso can modify something like that for you. :TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

BossThreads wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:50 am Bill Kelso or Steele & Jones

This basically.
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

The advantage of S&J is that they are hardcore fans, so they have been doing an insane amount of research to get the most SA possible. I know them personally since 2008 aprox and I know how hard they have worked to get what they offer now.
Sliper8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sliper8 »

backstagejack wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:51 am Keep in mind a screen accurate ROTLA jacket sits off the shoulders in a way that some people find odd. Sometimes screen accurate isn't necessarily for everyone. But someone like Steel and Jones or even Kelso can modify something like that for you. :TOH:
ah interesting do Both the Steel and Jones and Kelso jacket sit on the shoulders like the screen used one ?
Sliper8
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Sliper8 »

also is it know what jacket company made the jacket for the dial of destiny ?
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

Sliper8 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:06 am
backstagejack wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:51 am Keep in mind a screen accurate ROTLA jacket sits off the shoulders in a way that some people find odd. Sometimes screen accurate isn't necessarily for everyone. But someone like Steel and Jones or even Kelso can modify something like that for you. :TOH:
ah interesting do Both the Steel and Jones and Kelso jacket sit on the shoulders like the screen used one ?
Yes. Even the Wested Hero/Legacy will give you that fit.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Sliper8 wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:10 am also is it know what jacket company made the jacket for the dial of destiny ?
That is unknown at this time. There is a thread dedicated to the Indy 5 jacket but as of right now no one knows the maker of Dod but possibly made in house by the Mouse
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

Entirely agreed with all the comments here, both Steele and Jones and Kelso would make the "best" jacket out there, although Wested too make them very, very close now too. The win can't be decided except by personal tastes I'd say...All three makers are superb. I'd say the positives for the S&J are the constant contact and sizing adaptability, for Kelso, the overall quality, and for Wested, the connection in the name with the actual movie...But which of those you value most? Depends entirely on you!

I've got a Wested at home (several), a Crusade and Raiders S&J, and no Kelso yet, although I've seen a few very close up...

The leather, at least with Steele and Jones, is one of the top points about them, as they distress and damage it for you before sewing it up, keeping the integrity of the stitches and making the whole unit work really well... Kelso is famous for their leather quality too, so I'd have no doubt about them as well, and while Wested has some great leather choices, it's not quite as "Indy" perfect as the other two perhaps?
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Same here. I have a couple of Westeds and an S&J. However, I think for fit and look, the best is probably S&J but Kelso could be right behind them. But S&J would also win out on price too, so for the best value, fit and look, I would guess S&J.
Drifter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Drifter »

I had a Kelso at one point, but the collar was too big and I had to sell it. Their lambskin felt very high end though.

I have a Steele and Jones Raiders in cowhide and their customer service is unmatched by any other vendor. Im
Very happy with the Raiders Jacket they made me in 2016. Just wish I didn’t put it through the wash 😬. Get it distressed by them.

I’m on the waiting list for a Steele and Jones TOD in Lambskin.

If their lambskin is even close to Kelsos then I say Steele and Jones has to be the top maker of the Raiders Jacket.

Drifter
BossThreads
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by BossThreads »

I got a Kelso Relic Hunter when the pound was in the dumps. They contacted me with measurements and asked for any adjustments I wanted to make, so customization is possible.
The striated lamb looks and feels great and the jacket is constructed like a tank. I love it right down to the Bermans & Nathans tag (which is better quality than the ones on the Wested Legacy line).
Though I've never seen and S&J in person they look excellent.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

For S&J there is a BIG price increase for lambskin, I’d have a hard time not getting lambskin though. Is the difference huge?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

S&J are a little cheaper, but that doesn’t account for shipping.
Drifter
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Drifter »

Shipping is included