Washed Lamb vs. Shrunken Lamb (Color and Texture)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

TomSpinaDesigns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Washed Lamb vs. Shrunken Lamb (Color and Texture)

Post by TomSpinaDesigns »

Hey all,

I had standard lamb Wested's 20 years back, and am looking to order another jacket now. I had another thread going about the current patterns vs. the old ones and the 80's cut, etc. Luckily, someone at my studio picked up a hero and I was able to work out the fit question.

So now it's down to leather and color.

That jacket is in "Washed Lamb and I'm extremely impressed with the color. It's a more "gray brown" and IMO, really has a great vibe to it. The old ones always felt a bit too "dark chocolate" in color to me. I've attached a pic of that washed lamb jacket (though note cameras don't capture the color quite the way it looks in real life, I feel this is close).

The texture's actually pretty good too. That said, I've seen some washed lamb jackets that look a bit "dragon skin." Shrunken lamb is the other skin I keep hearing about. Does anyone know how the current washed and shrunken skins compare? Color-wise and texture wise? Thanks in advance.
Attachments
340998735_220151237268642_766946620126303411_n.jpg
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Washed Lamb vs. Shrunken Lamb (Color and Texture)

Post by SFGiant »

You must be reading my mind this is exactly what I’m looking for info on to. From my research, shrunken is lighter brown but can vary greatly.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I just got a brand new shrunken lamb Hero jacket today. It's great. The skin is very different to the shrunken lamb I got 8 years ago. Very different. Not the same at all, in many ways better, I'll explain. Firstly it's consistant, in color and texture. It has a very subtle fine grain, and the color is a sort of muted lighter brown. But it looks like a darker jacket that has faded into that lighter color. I did see some very very feint striations on one part of the leather, similar to the washed lamb but dialled down but about 80%. The drape is excellent, and it has that same 'bounce' that the old shrunken lamb had. I definitely like it, and may buy more jackets in this skin.
However if you want some skin texture and character, and darker, in that sense you'll have to opt for the washed lamb,
So basically, no one is better, it's your preference.
TomSpinaDesigns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for that detailed reply. Much appreciated!

Do you happen to have some photos? I'd love to see the grain and such.

Tom
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

The grain is so fine it doesn't pick up in phone cameras very well. viewtopic.php?p=949215#p949215
TomSpinaDesigns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thanks for the links and pics. Color's always so hard to tell in pics but it does look fairly light. I wonder how it compares to the washed in person? (As that can look lighter or darker depending on the pics as well).

I'm sort of surprised no one here's done a comparison between the two leathers in person... would be really interesting to see.

Tom
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I think the issue is nobody orders two jackets in those two leathers at the same time. Over time, the washed lamb has been subtle grain to dino hide, and the shrunken lamb has been different shades of brown. What you compare may not reflect what’s currently available.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

TomSpinaDesigns wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 9:48 pm I wonder how it compares to the washed in person? (As that can look lighter or darker depending on the pics as well).
Very different in color and weight. Washed lamb is heavier, almost medium weight, like the pre-distressed lamb weight. It's darker in color. Shrunken lamb is thinner and much lighter in weight, and a lighter brown color.

Unless a person wanted a smooth skinned jacket specifically, I would suggest to them the washed lamb over the shrunken.