Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Help! Wested Legacy Jacket Tips

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

Hey everyone,
I want buy a Wested legacy Indiana Jones jacket. I have always wanted one. I don’t have any experience measuring myself. Does any have and tips on measuring to have the perfect fit? Silly question but as they are a British based do they use centimeter instead of inches? I’m pretty new to this stuff so I am sorry for the silly questions haha.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Help! Wrested Legacy Jacket Tips

Post by SFGiant »

No you’d use inches. Do you have a measuring tape that tailors use?
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

Perfect! That’s what I thought but I wanted to make sure just incase. Yes I do have a tape measure that a tailor would use.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

OobiDoobBenubi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:31 am Perfect! That’s what I thought but I wanted to make sure just incase. Yes I do have a tape measure that a tailor would use.
If you’re like this me this will take forever and a million repetitions to get it right. Have someone measure you from the top of your shoulder along the side of your arm down to your wrist. Like the very last part of your arm. Then add an inch. This kind of a rough idea of your arm/sleeve length. Then go look at everyone’s picture of the same jacket you want and get an idea of where the jacket shoulder ACTUALLY starts and measure from that point on your arm down to your first thumb knuckle. Let me know what you get. For chest wrap it firmly but not tightly around your top area under the underarms. All away around sliding it a bit down to the widest area of your upper chest.

Also do you have an open sleeve jacket you love? Like fits perfect or close to perfect?
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

I used the guide on the website as well to help get the measurements. I am looking into getting a raiders jacket. Here are the measurements I took below.

Chest 41
Back 28
Sleeve 26 (27 if we add an inch)

If I am correct the measurement of where the shoulder of the jacket starts to my first thumb knuckle is 21 inches. When entering the sleeve measurements should I use this?

I unfortunately don’t have an open sleeve jacket.
Last edited by OobiDoobBenubi on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

OobiDoobBenubi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:54 pm I used the guide on the website as well to help get the measurements. I am looking into getting a raiders jacket. Here are the measurements I took below.

Chest 41
Back 28
Sleeve 26 (27 if we add an inch)

If I am correct the measurement of where the shoulder of the jacket starts to my first thumb knuckle is 21 inches.
So if you're getting the Legacy Raiders those dimensions will be too long. Sorry I think I made things more confusing with my previous post. How tall are you? You wouldn't want to go more than 25" on the back for this particular jacket as it has a weird cut. Let's work just on the sleeve for now. 26 from the very top of the shoulder to wrist? That might be actually what you want to use for the Legacy measurements. For a regular jacket or Raiders standard jacket, 27 might be right, but the Legacy jacket sleeves are at least an inch longer on everyone because the shoulder seem is 1-2" farther down the arm than normal. I can't overstate that I would keep measuring and measuring until you really get a feel for what's right and what number seems to click. I also would measure from a point on your upper arm around 3 finger widths below your actual shoulder top. Measure from there down to the first thumb knuckle. Can you take pictures? With the measuring tape etc? Do you have any jackets that fit perfect?
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

Gotcha. I will keep measuring to be sure. I’ll have to ask my gf for assistance tomorrow just to double check lol.

I am 6 feet tall.

The measurement I am getting from the upper arm with 3 finger widths below your actual shoulder top to my first thumb knuckle is 25. Does that sound correct? If not I can upload some pictures tomorrow.

I have some hoodies that fit pretty good.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

OobiDoobBenubi wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:47 pm Gotcha. I will keep measuring to be sure. I’ll have to ask my gf for assistance tomorrow just to double check lol.

I am 6 feet tall.

The measurement I am getting from the upper arm with 3 finger widths below your actual shoulder top to my first thumb knuckle is 25. Does that sound correct? If not I can upload some pictures tomorrow.

I have some hoodies that fit pretty good.
Well the good thing is we're in the ballpark. First off are you ok with a sleeve that hangs to your knuckles? That's a preference thing too. I'm basically just quoting other people I've read, but longer is better as it can be altered later and can shrink. 26 might be right.
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

I don’t mind it hanging to my knuckles. I would prefer to be closer to the wrist but I agree it would better to be a little longer than shorter lol.

How do you alter or shrink the jacket if needed?
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

OobiDoobBenubi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:10 am I don’t mind it hanging to my knuckles. I would prefer to be closer to the wrist but I agree it would better to be a little longer than shorter lol.

How do you alter or shrink the jacket if needed?
Local tailor who can work with leather. Ok so you kind of have a feel for where you want them to end. Can you scour the Hero and Legacy threads for pictures and see where the shoulder ends up on people’s arms and get a feel for where it ends then measure from the same point on your arms down the side to where you want the jacket to end. I’d say right to the start of your thumb would be perfect.
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

This is a helpful video for baseline measurements

https://youtu.be/w4Kf0WpYfJc
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Help! Wested Legacy Jacket Tips

Post by xmasters »

You're 6ft tall, assuming you're an average/slim build you'll probably wants sleeves 25-26" and back 24-25" max. That's very close to the movie jacket measurements and Ford was 6ft.
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

@sfGiant
Okay so I took so time to scour the forums for pictures of the jacket. Looks like most jacket sleeves start in the middle of their deltoid maybe a little bit above. So when I measured from there to the start of my thumb was 24 inches.

Thank you for the tip @xmasters!!
SFGiant
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by SFGiant »

OobiDoobBenubi wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:39 pm @sfGiant
Okay so I took so time to scour the forums for pictures of the jacket. Looks like most jacket sleeves start in the middle of their deltoid maybe a little bit above. So when I measured from there to the start of my thumb was 24 inches.

Thank you for the tip @xmasters!!
Do you have wide shoulders? That probably will affect it too. This is such a hard thing to get accurate. I'd probably go 25 at the very least.
OobiDoobBenubi
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by OobiDoobBenubi »

I don’t think have wide shoulders
They are approx 6 to 7 inches wide.
Shoulder to shoulder length is approx 20 inches