HJ - Creating the hat of a hero

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

HJ - Creating the hat of a hero

Post by Canyon »

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: HJ - Creating the hat of a hero

Post by Michaelson »

Very good write up!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Nice text.
Lots of real facts we've learned over the years.
A pity they have omitted to mention Mr Swales.
Thanks Canyon for sharing!
Cheers.-
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed, but mixed feelings as well. We dealt with Mr. Swales directly for many years, and the prevailing opinion at the time was the Indy fan was a member of the unwashed masses who were taking up his valuable time.

Don’t misunderstand, he was a nice man, but he could be AC/DC at times, and some days he was a fountain of information, and others a real pain, even to folks who were trying to ORDER a Poet based on the Raiders specs.

I remember Max Schulte (a fellow member of Indy Digs) personally stopping at HJ to discuss history and order us both a Poet, only to be briskly shown the door by Swales saying he didn’t have time for idle foolishness. Max was left standing outside the door, cash in hand for two hats! :shock: They were $250 at the time…..a Kings ransom!

It’s extremely satisfying to see the current folks finally embracing this customer base after all these years. We’ve always been here, and I guarantee if they had been more open to us then, the era of the custom hat makers and Federation would have never occurred. We had to create another source to fill our needs.

Like I said, mixed feelings.

Regards! Michaelson
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Michaelson wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:37 pmDon’t misunderstand, he was a nice man, but he could be AC/DC at times, and some days he was a fountain of information, and others a real pain, even to folks who were trying to ORDER a Poet based on the Raiders specs.

Yep. Like sloppily trimming a brim with scissors to get it out the door, leaving a chunky dimensional cut. We could imagine his disdain at having to do it based on the outcome.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I know…. :[

Regards! M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Michaelson wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 1:37 pm Agreed, but mixed feelings as well. We dealt with Mr. Swales directly for many years, and the prevailing opinion at the time was the Indy fan was a member of the unwashed masses who were taking up his valuable time.

Don’t misunderstand, he was a nice man, but he could be AC/DC at times, and some days he was a fountain of information, and others a real pain, even to folks who were trying to ORDER a Poet based on the Raiders specs.

I remember Max Schulte (a fellow member of Indy Digs) personally stopping at HJ to discuss history and order us both a Poet, only to be briskly shown the door by Swales saying he didn’t have time for idle foolishness. Max was left standing outside the door, cash in hand for two hats! :shock: They were $250 at the time…..a Kings ransom!

It’s extremely satisfying to see the current folks finally embracing this customer base after all these years. We’ve always been here, and I guarantee if they had been more open to us then, the era of the custom hat makers and Federation would have never occurred. We had to create another source to fill our needs.

Regards! Michaelson
Wow...I didn't know about that.
Well, I guess the write-up is perfect, then. :D
Cheers.-
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

A lot of familiar quotes here... but this one is new:
...and one of our Indy hats was even featured in ‘The Goonies’ film in 1985.
I know this has been suggested in the past, but no one has ever confirmed this. Do you think this is HJ just owning a rumor or has some new evidence come to light?
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Indy Magnoli wrote: Fri Jul 22, 2022 5:35 pm A lot of familiar quotes here... but this one is new:
...and one of our Indy hats was even featured in ‘The Goonies’ film in 1985.
I know this has been suggested in the past, but no one has ever confirmed this. Do you think this is HJ just owning a rumor or has some new evidence come to light?
Seems like a question for Michelle, I definitely think it looks the part.
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

If I remember correctly, I think the fedora in the Goonies had more of a tear drop bash. Not to say they couldn't reshape it... but why? :-k
craigjohn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by craigjohn »

Crusade Indy Hat lining observation I never noticed - and wow. I've watched this movie 100 times...

Champaigne lining with red logo shield when Indy first meets Walter Donovan.

White lining with gold logo when Indy's hat is blown back into the the frame near the cliff edge.