Stetson Temple

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Stetson Temple

Post by ijq8 »

I was wondering if anyone owns and/or has any feedback on a recent version of the Stetson Temple?

I'm in the market for a new hat, not overly concerned about screen accuracy (might even go for a tawny color), and not particularly interested in waiting half a year for custom. I have a Garrison that I like, but looking something a little different (not too tall of a crown, and maybe a little less boxy than standard Indy hats) but with the same overall adventure vibe. I thought the Temple might fit the bill, but hard to judge it from pics.

Would appreciate any experience others might have with this hat. Pics welcome too. Open to other options at or below this price point too!

Here's the website: https://stetson.com/products/temple-fedora-mink

Much appreciated,
ijq8
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Stetson Temple

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I didn't keep my Temple long. I was very unimpressed with both look and quality. The felt feels cheap, and the crown is just too tapered and low.
Of Stetons fedora options, I'd recommend a Whippet or a Stratoliner. Both come in various felt choices at different prices.
Hedji
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Hedji »

Based on your criteria, it seems to fit your bill. I'd say, go for it!

It certainly isn't screen accurate! But Stetson of course did provide a hat for Temple of Doom, so that's kind of cool.

Now, personally, I'm not wild about the way they show the brim or the button on the ribbon, but if that doesn't bother you, then your opinion is all that matters.

I'm wearing an AdVintage Temple of Doom right now, that never leaves my head, but it's almost triple the cost, and it is boxier than this for sure.

There are bound to be tons of hats out there with a vibe similar to this, but if you love Temple of Doom like I do, then the Stetson name has meaning. And if this style will work for you and make you happy, then it doesn't matter that it's more of a creative interpretation of what was on screen.
Nosirrah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Nosirrah »

I have a 4-5 year old Temple that works well for me. At 5' 8", I don't need a tall lid that makes people think I'm overcompensating for something :-k
By the same token, the taper avoids making me look like a bobble head. Ditto the brim width.
Mine is Tawny-- actually a bit deeper shade than the web shot-- which works better with my hair & skin coloring than deeper brown. The ribbon is a nice rich brown, though.
I have not worn it in a downpour, but there's no sign the powder meltdown that Michaelson can tell you all about. :shock:
Lose the button/feathered cockade, by all means. :tdown:
I'm no connoisseur of felt. It feels medium soft, holds its shape (I steamed it to get rid of a bit of "cowboy curl."
Lining and sweatband seem just fine.
I don't have an account for online photos, sorry. :oops:
Good hat for the money, YMMV. ;)
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Stetson Temple

Post by cm289 »

Are you married to the ribbon on the Temple? If not you might look at the Stratoliner. I wasn’t sure if you wanted something that looked more Indy-ish or just a fedora.

Edit- just re-read your post. I doubt the Strat would meet your needs unless you swapped out ribbons and don’t mind the bound edge. It’s a nice looking hat, and not too tall, but it’s not at all “Indy” (except to those that think every hat is “Indy”)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

I had an older Sovereign grade Temple that was just an ok hat. They're using the newer Royal Deluxe quality felt now which I like better than the older, thicker felt. If you don't mind the pressed in crease, the Temple is a decent hat. It's a very wearable fedora with clean lines when the brim is flipped down.

It's not quite an Indy look, but I like the 'natural' colored Open Road from the current Stetson lineup and that strikes me as a good outdoors hat.

Side note, I see Stetson is now saying: "Harrison Ford wore a version of this fedora in 1984’s Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom," on their site.
ijq8
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ijq8 »

Thanks for the input and insight :TOH: I do like the looks of Open Road, Stratoliner, and Akubra Campdraft, but on other people, if you know what I mean. I'm not keen on small ribbons or bound edges. Anyway, I'm still hesitant on the Stetson Temple. I like the smaller dimensions overall, but taper does look fairly significant (e.g., TOD plane scene...and not so sure about that). Maybe I should re-think custom and work on my patience as I wait for one to arrive :-k