How did we find out where the gear came from?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

How did we find out where the gear came from?

Post by IJJTM »

Are there other posts that explain where we discovered who created the gear? I heard that at one point, Deborah Nadoolman dispelled some myths for the jacket and such, but I'd like to know the history of how we rediscovered the gear.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: How did we find out where the gear came from?

Post by DeWayne »

Lee Keppler (RIP) is going to come up a lot.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

We talked to the principal prop master of the film(s) at Paramount back at the beginning. Lee made personal visits when on sales calls and I made a LOT of long distance phone calls. That was back in the day they were accessible and more than happy to talk shop.

It’s been personally interesting to me as these folks have passed away to witness the survivors rewriting the history to paint themselves in a better light in the timeline of the franchise, but that’s always been the way. Winners and survivors do tend to write the ‘history’. :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Good to see you Michaelson. I hope you are well.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Same to you, old friend! I was pleased to see you post!! :TOH:

HIGH regards! Michaelson :M:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

IJJTM wrote:Are there other posts that explain where we discovered who created the gear? I heard that at one point, Deborah Nadoolman dispelled some myths for the jacket and such, but I'd like to know the history of how we rediscovered the gear.
As Michaelson said, history has been rewritten in more recent years by those who are still around to be interviewed. DN-L has changed her story more than once over the decades ever increasing her role in creating Indy's original costume. I'm not saying she isn't an accomplished costume designer and wasn't involved in creating Indy's look, but as was the case for everyone who worked on ROLA, it was a gig they were doing for a paycheck and it wasn't until after the movies exploded did everyone want to cement their role as being integral to the success. There is no shortage of interviews with DN-L where she "remembers" details about the costume that are not seen onscreen. [-X

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

You mean 'details' like the 'D' ring was placed on the jacket in honor of her first initial, or that Indy absolutely, definitely and no argument what so ever wore Redwing boots in all the films, or that she never heard of Peter Botwright or Leather Concessionaires (Wested), even though Peter personally showed her and her team the concept Raiders jacket pattern and received changes directly from her, or........oh, never mind.....? :-k #-o ;)

Regards! M
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

Wasn't there a D ring on at least one of the jackets, or were they all rectangular?
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

There were several with a D ring as well as rectangular. It was a mixed bag and no method to the madness.

They were making them as hero jackets AND stunt jackets, so there were several on set at any given time.

NO one had a clue we'd be studying them with microscopes all these decades later. :lol:

Regards! M
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Based on screen-caps, the hero jackets mainly had rectangular buckles hence most jacket makers today make ROLA jackets with buckles as opposed to D-rings though there are behind the scenes pictures of HF wearing a jacket with D-rings.

DN-L in recent years insists she can identify ROLA jackets in the LFL archives exclusively by the D-rings.

The most famous (in my mind) example of this is an interview conducted by Adam Savage. I've posted this before, but I'll continue to post as long as the video is available. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zta6rggdNQs&app=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Neither the jacket nor hat in that display are from ROLA despite her insistence they are. And to this day I commend Adam for holding his tongue when we know he knows better.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff