Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

First one's on the way!! -- It's here!

Post by elstevo »

Woo-hoo!!!!

I just ordered my first Wested this morning & I had to come on and share the excitement! \:D/

I ordered a Raiders in authentic lamb with the hidden elastic being the only add-on. I'll be sure to post some pics when it comes! And now for the wait.... :wink:
Last edited by elstevo on Thu Apr 01, 2004 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Congratulations. Now, try to find something to do, keep busy to keep your mind off of the waiting.
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Thanks! I'm in the middle of exams for med school, so that should help! :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Langpuss wrote:I took my mind off the wait for my Wested by ordering another Fed from Hatsdirect!?!
I guess I did the same, except I ordered a Keppler.
Hemingway Jones
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Hemingway Jones »

Lang wrote:
I took my mind off the wait for my Wested by ordering another Fed from Hatsdirect!?!
So did I, only it was my first.
Also, I have an authentic lamb Raiders without elastic and I think the hidden elastic is the only thing I would add.
Good luck on the jacket and the wait.
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Hemingway Jones wrote:Also, I have an authentic lamb Raiders without elastic and I think the hidden elastic is the only thing I would add.
Good luck on the jacket and the wait.
Thanks. When I called this morning, I asked if the elastic detracts anything from the jacket, and they said 'no'--and that it's a free option. So, I figured that I may as well!

As for ordering anything else during the wait, I seem to buy something online every time I'm in the library studying for weeks at a time--and I think this Wested will certainly have to be the last thing for a while! :wink:

I will say that the most nerve-wracking thing is ordering something that's tailored without actually meeting the tailor. It's such a bummer thinking that after waiting anxiously for a month or so, the sizing may not be just right...and then to think about waiting again as you send it back! Still, I suppose that as long as I measured everything correctly, it should all turn out well....and that's the thought that I'm keeping in my head for now. :)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

I had never seen nor been able to try on a Wested to check the fit before I ordered mine. It took me a long time before I ordered it. Not because I didn't know what I wanted, as I pretty much knew that from the outset. But, the measurements, oh, those measurements. I measured and measured. Then I changed my mind about how I wanted it to fit. Then I measured again. Then double and triple checked the measurements. Then, I did it again.

Finally, I decided that I needed professional help. I went to a tailor. I had a fifteen minute conversation at the first tailor with a woman that didn't speak English. I left never knowing a thing about what she said. There may have been some misunderstanding. Her agitated body language led me to feel like I was a hooligan for wanting her to measure me for a jacket that I was not going to buy from her. Maybe, if I would have laid some cash on the table, she would have understood that I was willing to pay. I decided that I needed to be better able to relay my desires to the tailor to achieve the jacket of my dreams, so I left.

I continued my quest to be measured by a tailor by seeking direction from men's department employees of department stores at the local shopping mall. They seemed to be nearly unanimous in their recommendation of the Italian tailor in town. I never met this fellow that I was told does very good work, as he was closed each time I went by there. I think I still have a list of the measurements that I needed in my car. I found that people with a good relationship with a fine tailor are in deed in a very enviable position.

I built up my confidence and decided to just order the #!*& thing. I submitted my order and instead of a feeling of instant relief, I decided to double check my measurements. I told myself that I refused to e-mail or call Peter with any change of my measurements. But, I fretted on a daily basis that my jacket would not fit properly. It was a painfull month to say the least. I resigned myself to the fact that if it didn't fit, I could send it back to be corrected. As anyone that has ordered a Wested can attest, this did little to allay my fears.

I never had any doubts about the quality or workmanship of the garment itself. The big question was would it fit. I must admit that when I opened that package, I barely bothered to check out the garment. I just tried to get it on as quickly as I could. I think it fits perfectly. It took a little getting used to, as it is a snug fit. I usually wore clothes that fit looser. But, I think it fits the way this jacket is supposed to fit.

I certainly can sympathize with anyone going through the process of ordering their first Wested. Most people receive jackets that fit perfectly. If you find that you are one of the unfortunate few that receive a jacket that doesn't fit. Contact Wested and make arrangements to get it fixed immediately. Check the fit closely and if it needs alterations, resist the urge to wear it until it is corrected. In the end, you will love the jacket.
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaGuybrush »

Also I think that this "too loose" or "too tight" can be subjective. I went up a size on my Wested, dropped the shoulder holes a bit and got arm gussets. As such, the jacket is comfortably roomy. by tightenting or loosening the side straps I can alter the jacket from "t-shirt only" tight to "light sweater" loose, and I love that. I have spent god only knows how many minutes (hours?) staring at myself wearing the jacket in the mirror and no matter how long I do I end up with a smile on my face. I cut the stitching out of the bottom of the action pleats (after a heavy dose of courage from my friend Mr. J. Walker) and now I can tighten or loosen the straps without getting that "pinched" bunched up look. It still bunches but it's looser and more natural to the contours of the jacket. In no uncertain terms, I love this jacket.

That being said, when (it used to be if, now it's when... I guess I am officially infected) I get my new Wested I plan on going a bit snugger. Also, I am going to wait until I go to the UK for some reason so I can go to Wested in person and get measured. If I am decreasing the margin of error then I want the maker of the jacket measuring me. Also, I plan on making an Authentic Brown Lambskin my next jacket, so I'll have a snug dressy jacket for "occasions" and a more versatile goat for actual adventuring. I think the great thing about wested is the versatility that Peter gives us with all of his options.

I think of the jacket in terms like many people think of the fedora. A screen accurate fed or raiders lambskin is great, but only if it looks good on you and if you feel comfortable wearing it, otherwise what's the point right? In the end you have to suit the jacket to your needs, and if that means having more than one jacket, well, it sounds like I just found a really good way to rationalize my addiction to gear!
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Thanks, guys---your stories have certainly allayed my fears! Now to hope that it doesn't get too warm here in DC before it comes..... :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

After reading everyone's quest for the perfect measurements, I'm beginning to think that I've been practicing the 'hermit crab' theory of jacket 'purchase'. If I find one that I can comfortably fit into, I'm a happy camper, so all the specific measurements don't apply (except for sleeve length. That I'm touchy about). So far, I've had no problems, but then, most hermit crabs seem to find shells that work too! :roll: Regards. Michaelson
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

...hmm, this ‘hermit crab’ theory must be a Tennessee thing - one that needs further investigation by this poster.

oOO, my. Not a very flattering bit of research or analogy so far:

As the hermit crab grows in size, it must find a larger shell to fit it’s ever expanding body.

Hermit crabs are invertebrates, animals without a backbone. They have an exoskeleton, an outer shell that provides support for their body but does not provide much protection from predators.

Hermit crabs are omnivores (eating plants and animals) and scavengers (eating dead animals that they find). They eat worms, plankton, and organic debris. :shock: :roll:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Put a moustache on that character, and you've nailed me.....description and all!!!! :shock: :oops: 8) :D High regards. Michaelson
Indiana Jess
Scoundrel

Post by Indiana Jess »

Michaelson, I hope you're not expecting me to disagree with you. Though that particulat hermit crab seems to be moving quite a bit faster then I remember you doing - unless coffee is involved (and when isn't it?) :wink:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Like I told Jess and Rixter in separate notes, I left THAT door so wide open, I give point, game and match to my good friend, Mr. Rixter!! :lol: Touche!! :tup: High regards. Michaelson
Indiana Ace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Ace »

What is the"hidden elastic" you're talking about for?
And a question for IndianaGuybrush : you said you cut the stitching out of the bottom of the action pleats ...What does that mean? (sorry i'm french and the word stitching is a new one for me :oops: )
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

There is a piece of elastic band that extends across the back of the jacket between the lining and the leather that is attached to the pleat, keeping it closed when the jacket is hanging straignt. 'Stitching' is the sewn line of thread that holds two pieces of material together. Regards. Michaelson
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Indiana Ace wrote:a question for IndianaGuybrush : you said you cut the stitching out of the bottom of the action pleats ...What does that mean? (sorry i'm french and the word stitching is a new one for me :oops: )
As Michaelson said stitching are basically stitches (points) put in the action pleats toward the bottom of the jacket where the straps are. Here the pleats are actually sewn to the bottom sides of the jacket to, presumably, take some of the burden off of the adjustable straps. However, I find that leaving them in causes the jacket to bunch in an unnatural looking way when I tighten it, so I cut out the stiches. It still bunches, that extra leather has to go somewhere, but it does it in a more natural looking way. Hope this helps.
Indiana Ace
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Ace »

I did it ! Since i have that jacket i thought there was something wrong happening behind me (it was bunching very badly). But Indiana Guybrush seems to have found a miracle solution. I cut the stitching and now my jacket just fall a lot better in the back!!! :P It was unexpected, as i thought i would have to go along with that problem for the rest of my life (actually i've been owning that lambskin jacket for two years, and as i'm only 19, i hope to let it age naturally, so that it finally has the indy look when i'll be 30 or so :lol: )

Thanks for all the great input guys

As robert would say "Keep on cracking a smile!"
IndianaGuybrush
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Great to hear that you're happy with you're jacket Ace, but I can't take credit for the "cutting out the stitches" idea. I first heard about it from Indiana Grendel :wink:
Eiti
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Eiti »

Can someone post some pictures about that ???
Does it harm the jacket ?
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

So, I decided that I would set my mind on other endeavors and not think about my first Wested until it comes. Buuuuuuut....now that it'll be three full weeks tomorrow, I'm having a hard time hiding the excitement...! \:D/
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

First one's on the way!! --It's here!

Post by elstevo »

Wahooooo!!!!! Last Wednesday marked three weeks since I ordered my very first Wested, and the excitement that I had successfully quelled up until that time had begun to erupt. Finally, yesterday--four weeks to the day from ordering--I saw the box waiting for me when I got home!!! (my landlord drops off my mail, so he signed for it). Sooo much joy! I wore it just about the whole day long & I'm terribly disappointed that it's pouring rain here in DC today, and that it's supposed to continue doing so through 'til Saturday. Some folk may welcome the rain for the ol' distressing, but after adoring this jacket in all its beauty for a full day, I've got to agree wholeheartedly with Michaelson and others & go for the "natural" distressing...hopefully over a few decades of wear. :wink: I had never intended to distress 'er, but I don't think I could bring myself to do so if I tried! But, to each his own. :)

Anyway, I got a Raiders in Authentic Lamb. The color & feel of the leather is heavenly. My fiance came up and felt it several times last night, even once or twice after I'd hung it up! The thing that stressed me out the most during "the waiting" was how the size would turn out. I went to a tailor & he measured a 37-inch tight-fit for my chest, then wrote "42R" for the size. When I asked Gerry if I should increase the size for sweater wear, she said that I'd already upped it two sizes (I suppose a 37 deserves a size 38R). So, I stuck with the 42R that the tailor wrote & it's absolutely perfect! I also asked for the sleeves to be extended down to the first knuckle of my thumb, as per the suggestion of many on COW, and I'm glad I did. Not only do I think it looks perfect when I'm just standing around, but much of the wear-time yesterday was spent driving & I can totally understand the concerns about "ride-up"...but that's easily fixed with the extra length and by simply pulling the sleeves back out when it happens.

Other features of my Raiders are hidden elastic in the action pleats (so hidden that I can't see them...or even tell if they're really there!) and antique brass D-rings. The funny thing about the D-rings is that was expecting them to be the goldish color of brass, like the zipper is, but instead they're almost a black. Nonetheless, I'm in love with my jacket! :D

Sorry for such a long post! I'm just excited! (can't you tell? :wink: ) I'm hoping to get some pictures up this weekend. Any requests for specific things I should take pictures of?

Have fun,
elstevo
Last edited by elstevo on Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

The funny thing about the D-rings is that was expecting them to be the goldish color of brass, like the zipper is, but instead they're almost a black
Turn your d-rings around 180 degrees, and you will have the look of
the sliders instead of the curved rings, and they will hold your straps
much better too.

My authentic lamb has the antique zip and rings, and they are indeed
darker in color than they are goldish in color. But most antique brass
items are dark anyway.

The antiquing will add some very dark colors to the brass, and even
make some areas look black. But thats what its meant to do.

You have a great jacket there!! Enjoy the heck out of it!!

Flathead
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Congrats on the Wested, elstevo! I still crack a big smile when I turn around and see it on the hanger in my office. I even wore it at my desk for the first hour of work. And the great thing about my lunch break -- I get to wear it AGAIN! :D I hope you enjoy your jacket as much as I'm enjoying mine. bink
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Thanks for the info on the brass, Flathead. Is the 'slider look' just a matter of personal taste, or is that how they looked in the films..? I was under the impression that they were D-rings in the films, but I haven't scrutinized any screenshots or anything nearly as much as many other people here have. :) So far, the way the D-rings & straps are arranged right now (as packaged by Wested, that is), the straps are held very well. Hopefully, I won't have to play with them too much...I think everything looks great as-is so far.

Binkmeister--I certainly am enjoying it soooo much!!! :D The one problem is that it's been raining here in DC for the past few days, and I haven't gotten any Pecard's yet. So, I've been happily wearing it around the house now and then! Hopefully, there'll be some good weather by the end of the weekend... [-o<
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Get that Pecards on your jacket so you can safely wear it out of the house! I haven't taken mine off yet today. As a matter of fact, I even wore it to a staff meeting where one of my co-workers called me "fly" because the jacket looks so darn good. :wink: bink
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Which Pecards product is best for the Wested Authentic Lamb? I know that I've read this somewhere, but I can't remember where...

Also, does it actually waterproof the leather? Or at least make it better than nothing?

elstevo
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Because I've been in your shoes as a newbie, and because folks have been kind enough to help me along the way despite these same questions inevitably popping up again and again... Take a look at these links:

http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5416
http://www.indygear.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7211

You can also find out a lot by reading through the Care and Distressing forum. That, or experiment with the search feature, found in the upper menu bar. Good luck! :wink: bink
elstevo
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by elstevo »

Thanks, Bink! I really appreciate it! :D I just ordered the Leather Lotion. In the meantime, I really want to wear it tonight, so I think I might take a chance and just be sure to carry a big umbrella!