Getting the "turn" straight

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Getting the "turn" straight

Post by mr_alex »

Hey gang!

So, I recently bashed my Fed IV with a 'turn' and I feel great about the way it turned out. (I'll post photos in that thread shortly)

The problem: unless I'm looking in the mirror, when I put the hat on it ends up facing the way it would normally (no turn) so that the 'turned' bash is askew. The only remedy I can think of is to put the hat on from the pinch so that I can feel where that is and line it up with my face - but I know that isn't good for the hat long term.

Any pro tips on how to put your "turned" hat on correctly without a mirror?
marker2037
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Getting the "turn" straight

Post by marker2037 »

Having a "turn" in your hat is not just about the bash on the crown, it's also about blocking the oval starting off center as well. Even so, I use the pinch and often a mirror to center my hat as well so I wouldn't think too much into it.
Illinois_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois_Jones »

The sweatband and the wire reed will eventually adjust to you wearing it off center, especially if you have a long oval. A jack when you're not wearing it can help this also. And look at the sweatband and see where the "center" is as far as your pinch. One of the "FEDERATION" letters could act as a landmark, or you can make one to act as a center guide when you're putting it on.
mr_alex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by mr_alex »

Illinois_Jones wrote:One of the "FEDERATION" letters could act as a landmark... when you're putting it on.
Great idea! This helps a lot. For me the 'center' is just to the left of the word "FEDERATION" so using that as a reference is definitely helpful when I'm putting the hat on without a mirror close. :TOH:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

marker2037 wrote:Having a "turn" in your hat is not just about the bash on the crown, it's also about blocking the oval starting off center as well. Even so, I use the pinch and often a mirror to center my hat as well so I wouldn't think too much into it.
Can you clarify what you mean by "blocking the oval starting off center"?