3D Printed Hat Blocks?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

3D Printed Hat Blocks?

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

I couldn't seem to find any other topics on this, but I was wondering if anyone has attempted to create 3D printed hat blocks.

Would they work with felt, Panama, etc?

It seems like it would be a really good idea if they worked as you could shape and size them super easy in the software, giving a really accurate and precise result.

Anyway, thoughts?
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: 3D Printed Hat Blocks?

Post by Howard Weinstein »

Don't know much about the technology, but this seems like an intriguing idea. I wonder if the amount of material needed to create a solid block would be a problem, though. Would this be more or less cost-effective than creating a block from a mold?
crazylegsmurphy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by crazylegsmurphy »

Howard Weinstein wrote:Don't know much about the technology, but this seems like an intriguing idea. I wonder if the amount of material needed to create a solid block would be a problem, though. Would this be more or less cost-effective than creating a block from a mold?
In 3D printing, you don't really create large solid objects. Typically you print a "skin" that is supported internally by hexagons or some other shape. That cuts down on material used, but retains strength.

With 3D printing, there are also a lot of options such as you could print interconnecting parts that would allow you to switch out the bash shape, or collapse the block after the fedora has dried, making it much easier to get out. It would also make it easy to store.

What is nice about 3D printing opposed to a mold, is that you can adjust it perfectly to suit head shape and size. So, if you created a single file, people could adjust it to suit their needs without having to go through the lengthy process of building up / reducing a mold.

3D prints would also be water, mould, and crack resistant.

I am surprised no one has attempted this yet. A 3D model of a super accurate block could easily be made by using the million reference pics out there.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Check out Randal Alan on Etsy, he'll get you set up with a block and flange.

I currently have his 51 block, unfortunately it's not accurate to my vintage 51 block Stetson, but works all the same. I'm kind of suspicious now about what his 52 block profile actually looks like.

Anyway, I blocked and assembled this hat on his 3d printed block and flange. His blocks are the cheapest out there that I know of, the next least expensive being another Etsy seller, Hat Blocks Poland. Hand tools are from Rick at Phoenix hats.