Brand new Last Crusade HJ!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

McFly
Scoundrel

Brand new Last Crusade HJ!

Post by McFly »

Long time no see! :TOH:

With the British Pound so weak lately, and my Adventurebilt fitting tighter than ever, I splurged on a new lid and went for a beaver LC style Herbert Johnson! I saw someone else on Facebook post theirs, and they'd put in a royal purple liner, so I asked for the same treatment and I absolutely love it. Even though it may be .5cm too large (it wobbles a TAD if I shake my head around, but on the other hand I can only fit one finger in between the hat and my noggin), the fit is much nicer than the old AB I had before. Super exciting to have a fedora that I can wear again! Photos below:

Photo 1: Beauty shots
Photo 2: Trying it on
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Brand new Last Crusade HJ!

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Stunning hat! Congrats. Love the LC style. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

VERY nice!!! :M: :tup:

Regards! Michaelson
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hey McFly, great to see you!!

Magnificent lid! It looks great on you! :clap:
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Nice! I asked for the purple liner on my upcoming build too.
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Sweet! That purple looks cool...
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

Looks awesome! I’ve had my HJ LC with the purple for about two months and I absolutely love it. It adds a lot of character and prestige to it. Congratulations! :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks guys! I actually poked around in the big HJ thread (oops, I missed it when I posted this :Plymouth: ) and saw that a handful of people actually got the purple. It's funny because it's probably as far away from the SA liner you could go without getting something tie-dyed, and yet it's still popular.

Also, did anyone notice the crying face has a tapered hat? :cry: I forgot I did that! :lol:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Why else would he be crying? :-k :CR:

Regards! M
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Great hat, Shane! Gotta love the classic HJs.

As for that emoticon... you do remember we're all gearheads, right? Of course we're going to notice a tapered hat on a little emoticon! :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

It's true, it's true. Every few years, when I log in and see the little emotes, it's like I discover them again for the first time. :lol:

Thanks for the kind words about the real-life hat!
Canada Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Canada Jones »

Hat looks great! what was the final take home price for this beauty (everything in)? I always liked the lineage of the HJ and I am happy they are producing a great looking hat again. Years ago, like many here, I visited the store and met Richard Swale. Nice guy, and I regret not buying a hat from him but as I remember it was close to $500 which was out of my budget at the time. I would love to get my hands on a Swales made hat!

I am wondering, are there other options for liner colors?
thanks
Canada
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Canada Jones wrote:Hat looks great! what was the final take home price for this beauty (everything in)? I always liked the lineage of the HJ and I am happy they are producing a great looking hat again. Years ago, like many here, I visited the store and met Richard Swale. Nice guy, and I regret not buying a hat from him but as I remember it was close to $500 which was out of my budget at the time. I would love to get my hands on a Swales made hat!

thanks
Canada
Though I'm not McFly, I did just order an HJ this week....current retail price on the beaver felt hats is £535, which came out to $655 and change after international shipping. Note that my final price includes their current 10% off sale through August. They've offered this 10% discount once or twice before, and I finally jumped this time. Rabbit felt lists at £385.

The standard liner is white, they also offer olive green and the Royal purple.
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

jlee562 wrote:
Canada Jones wrote:Hat looks great! what was the final take home price for this beauty (everything in)? I always liked the lineage of the HJ and I am happy they are producing a great looking hat again. Years ago, like many here, I visited the store and met Richard Swale. Nice guy, and I regret not buying a hat from him but as I remember it was close to $500 which was out of my budget at the time. I would love to get my hands on a Swales made hat!

thanks
Canada
Though I'm not McFly, I did just order an HJ this week....current retail price on the beaver felt hats is £535, which came out to $655 and change after international shipping. Note that my final price includes their current 10% off sale through August. They've offered this 10% discount once or twice before, and I finally jumped this time. Rabbit felt lists at £385.

The standard liner is white, they also offer olive green and the Royal purple.
What he said! The beaver felt did still run up the tab quite a bit, but if you were after a rabbit felt, it's probably not a bad time to spring for one, especially with that 10% off on top. I didn't know they had other color options for the liner until I saw someone else post pictures of their purple liner, and I wouldn't even have known to ask if I hadn't seen it!

Their website doesn't offer much detail with regards to custom options. In fact, when I ordered my hat, I didn't even know they offered half sizes, so I rounded up from 56.5cm to 57cm and now it's a tad roomy. :roll: I'm not sure how to tell if it's too big but I was a little disappointed that I could have had the perfect size if I'd asked. In fact, the website says "if you're between sizes, round up to the nearest centimeter." Oh well! ](*,)
Indiana Jack!
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Jack! »

Super Congratulations on your New HJ! I bought one last year and love it! I REALLY love the purple liner! I am kicking myself for not knowing this. I had mine upgraded to Beaver but wanted everything like the original. I would have definitely opted for the purple! My white one is showing some discoloration already from sweating, etc. My liner is in white. All I can say is that the purple looks majestic and magnificent!

Enjoy! :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Thanks Jack! Yeah – I've had hats with white liners before, and also didn't know that a colored liner was something I would like until I saw pictures of the purple liner on their FB posts. I also picked up a wool cap with a beautiful maroon liner (from a company called Goorin Bros.) a few years back and LOVED that, so I when I saw the HJ could come with that dark purple, I knew I had to have it. And you're right, it might just look "cleaner" for longer!

I just wish I had known about the half-sizes!
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

McFly wrote:Thanks Jack! Yeah – I've had hats with white liners before, and also didn't know that a colored liner was something I would like until I saw pictures of the purple liner on their FB posts. I also picked up a wool cap with a beautiful maroon liner (from a company called Goorin Bros.) a few years back and LOVED that, so I when I saw the HJ could come with that dark purple, I knew I had to have it. And you're right, it might just look "cleaner" for longer!

McFly, best decision I made was getting my LC with the purple. (Actually, it was Michelle's decision because I left it up to her :lol: ). I have a black driving cap with maroon lining from Goorin Bros. that I purchased from their store in Charleston, and the contrast is fantastic. With as much as I wear my HJs, having that darker lining definitely makes a difference! :TOH:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Indiana_Nate wrote:
McFly wrote:Thanks Jack! Yeah – I've had hats with white liners before, and also didn't know that a colored liner was something I would like until I saw pictures of the purple liner on their FB posts. I also picked up a wool cap with a beautiful maroon liner (from a company called Goorin Bros.) a few years back and LOVED that, so I when I saw the HJ could come with that dark purple, I knew I had to have it. And you're right, it might just look "cleaner" for longer!

McFly, best decision I made was getting my LC with the purple. (Actually, it was Michelle's decision because I left it up to her :lol: ). I have a black driving cap with maroon lining from Goorin Bros. that I purchased from their store in Charleston, and the contrast is fantastic. With as much as I wear my HJs, having that darker lining definitely makes a difference! :TOH:
I have a GRAY driving cap with maroon lining from Goorin Bros! :lol: :lol: :lol: (And I have the black one too) When I saw the purple liner option for the HJ, I thought, "Oh this reminds me of that liner I love in my cap. I have to get this."

YOU sir, have excellent taste in headwear, if I do say so myself!

Here's my cap from Goorin, while I was exploring an old church in Scotland:
Goorin.png