Another Work of Art by Steele & Jones: Truck Chase Jacket

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Another Work of Art by Steele & Jones: Truck Chase Jacket

Post by CarolinaIndy »

What can I say about the Steele & Jones Truck Chase Jacket that hasn’t already been said by Mark Raats, Croft and others who are much more qualified to appraise such a work of art? I’ll try to add a couple of personal observations from my jacket and my experience with Steele & Jones.

Customer Service
I have to start with S&J’s customer service. I had a wonderful experience from initially reaching out to S&J through Instagram and chatting with Roberto all the way through to follow-up emails from Diego after my jacket arrived. Their customer service is truly world-class. Diego always responded quickly to my emails and answered every question in detail.

My interest in the Truck Chase Jacket is probably different than many members of this forum. My profession requires a fair share of travel and working “in the field.” I wanted the jacket for that purpose only, not gearing up in the full Indy outfit. After speaking with Diego, I chose the buckles without the SA prongs since I didn’t really need them. And I chose the optional cotton lining, which would be tougher. Thank you, Diego, for your guidance.

To navigate the current COVID-19 shipping issues that many countries are experiencing, Diego gave me the option of shipping my jacket via UPS. I chose that route and my jacket safely arrived four days later on June 29.

Superb Craftsmanship
Everything that Croft and Mark Raats shared about the Truck Chase Jacket is true. It is indeed an incredible work of art. The jacket looks like it was taken from Indy himself—perhaps lifted from his suitcase while he was having dinner with a group of dignitaries or taken from his tent in a South American jungle, eventually making its way into the capable hands of Steele & Jones many years later. Folks, it’s the real thing.

I would like to share a note on the color. As you all know, lighting in photos and video can make it difficult to discern the true color of a brown leather jacket, or fedora for that matter. Like most colors, browns can vary tremendously. Some photos of the Truck Chase jacket on this forum make it look more orange, or like it has a reddish or lighter tint. It’s not. That’s just the lighting in the photos. Their SA “Chocolate Ribby Lambskin” is true to its name. It’s a darker, blacker brown than another Indy jacket (from another vendor) that I own. To my eye, and to the eye of my wife who is a long-time professional in the fashion/textile industry, the S&J jacket is the closest match to the color of the jacket you see in Raiders.

This tailored S&J jacket fit perfectly right out of the box. The weight of the leather and the drape matches, wrinkle for wrinkle, the one Ford wore in Raiders. The craftsmanship is superb and the hand distressing by Diego is second to none. All for a reasonable price.

Final Thoughts (From My Wife)
As I mentioned above, my wife has worked for many years in the textile and fashion industries for some of the world’s best-known manufacturers (one put Michael Jordan in their underwear back in the day). She’s not an Indiana Jones fanatic, but she understands on a professional level clothing design, manufacturing and how garments should fit an individual. She was impressed by the quality of the Steele & Jones Truck Chase Jacket, and even more—how well this jacket fits me. She likes the darker, chocolate brown, the way the sleeves fit my arms (just like in Raiders), and that the bottom of the jacket’s back didn’t “stick out” like my previous Indy jacket. Despite not being enthusiastic about me purchasing "another Indy jacket," she gave the Steele & Jones jacket five out of five stars from her professional perspective.

I’ve been a fan of Indiana Jones since I first saw the movies in the theater back in the 1980s. I've followed the Indy Gear website off and on since the early days, but only recently joined this forum. I’ll probably never own the full gear kit or most of the props. But I cannot imagine any serious collector without at least one Steele & Jones Truck Chase Jacket.

My sincerest thanks to Diego. You are a true artist.

Best,
Carolina

Link to full-size image: https://i.imgur.com/cT8pGCU.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also pictured: Filson 257 Large Briefcase; Professor's Diary by Magnoli; Hemingway Standing Desk and Chair by Thomasville.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Another Work of Art by Steele & Jones: Truck Chase Jacke

Post by LostRaider25 »

This looks great!

You have anymore photos of the jacket showing the chocolate brown color?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Dear CarolinaIndy,

We like to thank you so much, for this wonderful review.
I'm feeling overwhelmed, by your kind words.

We wish you MANY years of joy with your jacket, in a lot of real life adventures.

Best regards.-
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Nice! More photos, please! :D
Trenin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trenin »

Love it.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Congratulations! But it is not a legit review without fit picture :clap:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

That's a very nice write and review, and having the misses give a 5 star rating is only vindication that you/I/we bought the jacket we see in our minds eye when were thinking of Indy looks.
For me the brown hughes are what always catch my eye and I can't stop studying (even when driving, gotta watch that) the different textures, wrinkles and the awesome distressing. My Wested Hero has grey undertones, nice and I like, but I've always loved the brown tones.

Now you just wait till you've worn it for a while, the wrinkle are awesome.
I did get caught in a rain storm while out walking and it helped to bring out grain, be cautious. I'm sure Diego warned you about the soaking it in water treatment, don't do it, getting wet in a storm is not getting it saturated. Your going to be so pleased with your self, you'll have no idea, your misses may get jealous.

And if your like me thickness matters not, the feel and drape and the look while being worn, that's what it's about. It gets humid up here in NH this time of year, but cool enough (60-70 deg.) that I wear it in the morning just so I can wear it. And wear it every chance you will, trust me. Didn't Indy say that.

So if ever in NH on a wed, let me know, we can compare.

Now let's see what it looks like while your wearing it my good man, you don't have to gear up, it's all about the jacket. [-o<
Congrats again to you for an awesome purchase, wear it in good health. :TOH:

And congrats to S&J for once again produce a piece of art work that we get to wear, and say, Indy wore this. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Croft :mrgreen:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

A great review of an incredible jacket.

Congratulations on a wonderful acquisition.

MARK
Grozebear
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Grozebear »

Beautiful - congrats!!
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I’m very envious. Mine shipped May 8th, got as far as the airport warehouse in Buenos Aires, and then couldn’t find a lift the rest of the way. Diego told them to go ahead and return it to him, but I don’t think its turned up yet.

I have to say, I’m more excited to get this jacket than any others I’ve had previously. [-o< Thanks for the post in the mean time to keep me distracted. :TOH:
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

Thank you all for the kind responses. All credit goes to Diego and Steele & Jones.

Here is an extra photo I have. I'll try to take some more soon.

Full size image: https://i.imgur.com/GhuwZPw.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tibor, I'm certain you'll be more than happy with the Steele & Jones Truck Chase Jacket. It truly is a work of art.

Best,
Carolina
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

That jacket looks really amazing. It definitely captures the essence of “the” jacket that I see portrayed on film. Too bad I don’t think Diego can accommodate sizing for my small frame. How soft is the leather?
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Bdgsi11 wrote:That jacket looks really amazing. It definitely captures the essence of “the” jacket that I see portrayed on film. Too bad I don’t think Diego can accommodate sizing for my small frame. How soft is the leather?
I can't remember if you already gave us a chance.

We did many jackets with different specs.
Working on jacket proportions to fit different body characteristics.

What we do is, working the original patterns, to achieve the look ON YOUR BODY.

Contact us by email.
Let's start an exchange, and see if we can come with something.

Best regards-
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Tibor wrote:I’m very envious. Mine shipped May 8th, got as far as the airport warehouse in Buenos Aires, and then couldn’t find a lift the rest of the way. Diego told them to go ahead and return it to him, but I don’t think its turned up yet.

I have to say, I’m more excited to get this jacket than any others I’ve had previously. [-o< Thanks for the post in the mean time to keep me distracted. :TOH:
](*,) Same :( looking forward to getting it though :)
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

That jacket is so gorgeous!! =P~ One day, I'm going to get a jacket from Steele and Jones (most likely a Temple of Doom). :mrgreen:
Mark Raats
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Raats »

Bdgsi11 wrote:How soft is the leather?
The leather is quite honestly the best I have ever seen or felt and its got a softness to it that reminds me of butter.
Truly stunning jackets.

Many thanks S&J

M
Indiego Jones
Vendor

Post by Indiego Jones »

Thanks for all the great comments and nice words, guys and gals!
We love what we do.
And this kind of recognition to our effort means a lot to us.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!
:TOH:
CarolinaIndy
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by CarolinaIndy »

KramStaar wrote:
Bdgsi11 wrote:How soft is the leather?
The leather is quite honestly the best I have ever seen or felt and its got a softness to it that reminds me of butter.
Truly stunning jackets.

Many thanks S&J

M
I will echo each and everything Mark said. I want to add that it is a substantial leather, meant to be worn and used in real life. Although, my wife jokes that the way I’ve been looking at the jacket, I should just frame it and hang it over our bed, LOL.

Best,
Carolina
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Na I'll just buy another and frame that one.
And the misses does look at me strangely, does she think there's another woman :-k Nope just another jacket love.

And ya, this leather is like butta. One of the best jacket decisions I've ever made.

Croft :mrgreen: