Fedora's fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fedora's fedora

Post by Mike »

Hey gang,

According to Richard Young himself on FB, the maker of his hat is O’Ferrell Hat Company, Santa Fe, New Mexico. They have a website at: https://ofarrellhatco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone heard of them? I plan to message him to see if he can provide further info.

Mike

mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Fedora's fedora

Post by mcmanm »

Cool. Keep us posted.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've heard of this company before, they make some decently priced replicas of movie hats etc but first I've never heard of Fedora's lid being made by them.

Interesting that they would go with someone completely out of left field for one characters hat but who knows?

I've always liked fedora's hat. It's a good alternative to an Indy look..... which I suppose is the point.

Please keep us informed of what you find out!

:TOH:
IndianaJustin
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndianaJustin »

Thanks for the information :)
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Longstanding custom/western hat company, established by Kevin O'Farrell, his son Scott now runs the shop (Kevin passed a few years back). From what I understand they still make very good hats, but original Kevin O'Farrell (Durango, CO) hats are coveted.

Adam Savage has recently been wearing a custom O'Farrell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jndp3svXiUg&app=desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Howard Weinstein
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Howard Weinstein »

O'Farrell Hat Company made the iconic western worn by star Robert Taylor as LONGMIRE in the long-running recent Netflix TV series based on Craig Johnson's novels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcvS94WPU84" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Though LONGMIRE is set in Wyoming, the show was shot in New Mexico. So I guess the production company chose a top local hatter.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Heard back from Richard, he had this to say...
Hi Mike, As you know, the opening scenes in the Last Crusade were filmed at the very end of production!

There were lots of Herbert Johnson hats around but Anthony Powell had a few hats made up locally to get a precise fit for my head. He mentioned that the hats were from O’Ferrall in Santa Fe! That’s what I remember.

Also, Mr. Powell wanted some subtle differences in the hat that I wore compared to the one Harrison wore!
As a side note, Richard was kind enough to also talk about his jacket, which I've shared here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=70838" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
IJJTM
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IJJTM »

That’s awesome that he was so open to communicating with you and remembered all of this.
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Might be another twist to this. I’m told the fedora is in the archives and is stamped "Jay Lord Hatters” who seem to have gone out of business shortly after Last Crusade, around 89.
davyjones007
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by davyjones007 »

The Tale of Two Hats, it sounds like a good mystery story.
Kungaloosh
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kungaloosh »

It could be Fedora #279, but I'm not too sure about the crown height or the pinch. Cheyenne Pinch #232 seems like another likely candidate, but wrong color.

Does anyone dare e-mail O'Farrell and ask them?