Raiders Hero Pockets (hard to reach?)

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Raiders Hero Pockets (hard to reach?)

Post by LostRaider25 »

Good day! Wanted to inquire regarding the wested hero raiders jacket.

planning to get another hero raiders since my last one didn't seem to fit as good.

I'm a size 36 in the standard raiders and ordered the same thing for a hero jacket.
I expected the snugness which wasn't so bad, the narrow arms actually fit me better. What caught me off guard was that I had a difficult time reaching for the hand warmer pockets. Took me a lot of effort to get my hands to sit inside to the point the pocket started to rip.

Is this normal for the hero cut or should I size up?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Raiders Hero Pockets (hard to reach?)

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've always had a hard time getting my hands in the "hand warmer" pockets of my Indy jackets (Wested, G&B, USWings) to the point I've never actually used them. Back before I ordered my first in 2000, I read the hand warmer pockets were not very functional. One of the quirks of this jacket design.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

Thanks Indiana Jeff.

The standard raiders hand warmer pockets were more accessible to reach to compared to the hero I got.
Didn't know that others were also experiencing this, I thought my jacket had a defect. Thank you again for this and I hope everything is going good for you there!
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Only a problem if your jacket length is too short (makes it awkward). The Raiders Hero pockets are huge.

This is where your body height vs film accuracy comes in. If you're average to tall, should be ok. If you're below average to short, or have unusually long arms, you have to start decide if the hang of the jacket in a screen accurate sense is more important than jacket functionality. Genrally speaking if a jacket back length starts to go shorter than 23.5" reaching and using the side pockets may be hard unless you ask for the jacket to be modified for your needs, again though, compromise. Up to the person.

These sorts of issues are why Wested do a standard Raiders fit jacket.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I’m leaning more on the short side. I’m aroung 5’3-5’4. My backlength for a standard raiders is 22 which fit me well. I read the hero has a backhang so I took off some inches there, probably an inch too much that could have resulted into having a more difficult time reaching for the hand warmer pockets.
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

I would only subtract 1" for the Hero backlength (overhang acceptance) but if pocket reach is a concern maybe I wouldn't subtract any, and possibly even consider adding a half inch, and maybe go one size up on the jacket. Then you've got the sleeve length to consider.

Or ask Wested if you can order a custom Raiders jacket with the Hero jacket details. They have a blog post that explains the differences.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

I see. If ever I'm planning on taking off just .5 inches from the back length. My past shoulder length was good and the fit was alright. If I size up the chest will it affect the sleeve length as well?

Also if I order a standard, will it be possible that I can ask for the narrower arms of the hero on it?
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Probably not. Maybe order the Hero jacket with a longer back so the pockets aren't so high. Or you might find sizing down on the standard jacket solves the problem.
LostRaider25
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by LostRaider25 »

will take these into consideration, thank you so much!
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

xmasters wrote:Only a problem if your jacket length is too short (makes it awkward). The Raiders Hero pockets are huge.

This is where your body height vs film accuracy comes in. If you're average to tall, should be ok. If you're below average to short, or have unusually long arms, you have to start decide if the hang of the jacket in a screen accurate sense is more important than jacket functionality. Genrally speaking if a jacket back length starts to go shorter than 23.5" reaching and using the side pockets may be hard unless you ask for the jacket to be modified for your needs, again though, compromise. Up to the person.

These sorts of issues are why Wested do a standard Raiders fit jacket.
I have known a number of people with 22 inch back jackets who have no problem reaching the side entry pockets. It's a question of how well cut the pattern is no matter what the size. I hear the Hero was a rushed pattern with a number of issues.
Indiana_Nate
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana_Nate »

I tend not to use my hand warmer pockets. My Wested lamb LC that I bought 10+ years ago is a tighter fit than my other, newer jackets and the pockets began tearing at the stitch point. I compensated for size when ordering my Hero and they do seem much easier to reach, but I still try not to use them. I like the jacket too much to risk making the same mistake again.