Which Wested compliments a hoodie better? Raiders or LC?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

fortysixandtwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Which Wested compliments a hoodie better? Raiders or LC?

Post by fortysixandtwo »

I’m looking for a Wested raiders jacket that takes to layering a zip up hoodie or pullover comfortably. I’m a 46” chest now so I’m wondering if i should go with a 46 or 48? Which cut would you feel is best for full mobility? Zipped up or riding a motorcycle?
Post pics if you got one layered up...
Last edited by fortysixandtwo on Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Which Wested compliments a hoodie better? Raiders or LC?

Post by backstagejack »

I've always found the LC roomier for layering (see MOB cardigan, etc) but maybe that's just me.

Also, for riding a motorcycle, I'd personally want thicker leather than lambskin for safety reasons, but again, maybe that's just me. So if ordering from Wested, I'd go for the Horsehide option. It won't be spot on accurate..... but neither is a hoodie I reckon.

:TOH:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

It depends how the jackets fit your body. I've worn hoodies under both. If you're thinking of cold weather layering with thicker material garments you'll probably need to size up, but then you'll have a jacket that's a bit loose when you don't wear the layers under it. There's a bit more 'give' with the lambskin jackets, but you can't depend on those to give you any protection if you fall off a motorbike. That said I know people who've worn Wested lamb jackets on motorocyles. It's a good way to naturally age them.
fortysixandtwo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by fortysixandtwo »

I don't ride as much as I'd like, but I was thinking about needing freedom of movement when fully outstretched with the arms. I think I'll look for the LC version just to maximize flexibility for my stocky build...
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

My Raiders is a bit too snug, especially in the arms to use a hoodie underneath. When I want the extra layering, I always pull out my Nowak CS (based on LC) and it works great. Roomy and still plenty of movement.
Kladdagh
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Kladdagh »

I would say the Last Crusade cut ... but it is just me :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I use my Raiders myself. I’ve found the LC collar a bit large when you also have the hood to deal with around the neck. I have had no issues of the Raiders jacket being too tight when that kind of layer is added. It’s all about the added bulk of the larger LC collar that drove my practice.

Gussets gives you the arm freedom you seek, regardless of style.

Regards! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Maybe ask for custom collar snaps like vintage A2 jackets. I bet Steele and Jones or Magnoli could build it... go with a high yoke to provide better arm mobility in the Raiders jacket. LC has a large yoke that is less helpful in freedom of movement.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I will say having ridden my bike with my Wested..... the collar flaps like no ones business.....

Overall, I'm not sure the Wested is a good motorcycle jacket at all..... sounds like so many changes would have to be added, etc to make it adequate and safe.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

LC