Anyone have a Gary White Indy Fed?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Anyone have a Gary White Indy Fed?

Post by KhanVader »

I went into Mr. Whites shop back in June to have a bespoke Indy lid made for myself. My new hat will be done within the next couple weeks (which I will be sure to share here) and I was wondering if anyone here currently owned a Gary White “The Custom Hatter” Indy lid themselves. When I was at his shop I could beyond a doubt that his hats are of quality but just wanted to know if anyone has any personal experience to share. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Anyone have a Gary White Indy Fed?

Post by Mulceber »

To be honest, I’ve never even seen a Gary White hat. I know of him, I know there used to be some COW members that had hats made by him, and that there used to be some claims that he made the hats for the Last Crusade, but I’m not familiar with his work. I’ll be curious to see pictures and a review when you get your hat. :TOH:
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Mulceber wrote:To be honest, I’ve never even seen a Gary White hat. I know of him, I know there used to be some COW members that had hats made by him, and that there used to be some claims that he made the hats for the Last Crusade, but I’m not familiar with his work. I’ll be curious to see pictures and a review when you get your hat. :TOH:

No hats from Gary white we're screen used. Fact. At least not the fedoras for Ford.

Regards jack
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I once owned a GW fedora. VERY nicely made, and he was very friendly on the phone.

Regards! Michaelson
Tinplatejeff
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Tinplatejeff »

Never heard of him before this thread, but interesting back story and makes some nice lids:

http://custom-hatter.com/about.html

http://custom-hatter.com/hats.html

:)
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Agreed.

Well made. Makes a great hat. Years of experience too

Regards jack
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Jack@hatter wrote:
Mulceber wrote:To be honest, I’ve never even seen a Gary White hat. I know of him, I know there used to be some COW members that had hats made by him, and that there used to be some claims that he made the hats for the Last Crusade, but I’m not familiar with his work. I’ll be curious to see pictures and a review when you get your hat. :TOH:

No hats from Gary white we're screen used. Fact. At least not the fedoras for Ford.

Regards jack
Yeah, I was pretty confident that was the case. Just didn’t want to call the man a liar if there was a chance I was mistaken. :TOH:
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Thanks for the insight fellas’ when talking to him in his shop he said he was ‘involved with the hats in Last Crusade’ seemed sort of careful not to say he made Ford’a hat in the film haha. Anyway I actually got a picture from his progress on my hat thus far just yesterday so I’ll be sure to post it on up here when I get a chance at the computer.

KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

https://imgur.com/a/hiRvq" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to my hat this far.
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Mulceber wrote:
Jack@hatter wrote:

Regards jack
Yeah, I was pretty confident that was the case. Just didn’t want to call the man a liar if there was a chance I was mistaken. :TOH:

It's possible he made other hats. There were others in crusade.
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Jack@hatter wrote:
Mulceber wrote:
Jack@hatter wrote:

Regards jack

That is my thinking, but I was not bamboozled or anything. I went with Gary White for my hat simply because his shop is a 10 minute bike ride from my parents house. So far so good :TOH:
alaska_mcghee
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by alaska_mcghee »

I have no doubt he was asked to make a hat for the movie. But it may have never been used in the movie.

example
Production companies get multiple vendors to produce products they think they want for their movies/tv shows. The production companies then sort thru what they get and decide what vendor they want to use. BBC commissioned Wested leather to make a U-boat leather jacket for Doctor who. They never used Westeds jacket on screen but Wested can say they made a jacket for BBC's Doctor who.

Looking forward to seeing what the end product looks like. You are now committed to posting a full review not only when you get it but a follow up to tell us how its holding up :TOH: :)

Johnny
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

From what I hear he's a great Hatter.
No problem there.

I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Regards jack
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

alaska_mcghee wrote:
Looking forward to seeing what the end product looks like. You are now committed to posting a full review not only when you get it but a follow up to tell us how its holding up :TOH: :)

Johnny
Yeah, I wouldn't call him a liar or anything like that (about his involvement in Last Crusade) from my conversations with him. Just seems like a man who loves making hats and sharing a few stories. I sure can't wait to see how she turns out either :TOH: and I'll be sure to post an extensive review with inside and outside pictures, the works. Thanks for the interest!
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

How do we know he didn’t make any hats or hats for stuntmen or Ford? where is the evidence supporting who did make them?
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Jack@hatter wrote:
Mulceber wrote:
Jack@hatter wrote:

Regards jack

Entirely possible, for all I know. I'm not trying to suggest anything bad about the man's character. I just remember hearing people in the late '90s claiming that HJ made the hats for Raiders, while Gary White made the hats (as in the hero hat) for Last Crusade. Nowadays we know that wasn't the case. Whether that's because Gary White was deliberately over-stating his involvement, or other people were misunderstanding him, I have no idea.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

A search of old threads going back over a decade have references to Gary making claims he made hats for LC. Currently his website has a list of movies, but no language that specifically states he made hats for any of those movies. The list could be interpreted as a list of movies from which Gary can reproduce hats. But it's open ended enough to be misleading.

Beyond that, there are many, many comments about the high quality of Gary's work.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Hey there, for anyone interested my Gary White bespoke Indy hat is almost done and I have received another update picture that I will share here.

https://imgur.com/a/2w6hJ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thanks!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

What I like best about all this is you're keeping a local craftsman employed.

WELL done!!! :clap:

HIGH regard! Michaelson
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Michaelson wrote:What I like best about all this is you're keeping a local craftsman employed.

HIGH regard! Michaelson
That is 100% why I chose Gary over all the other Indy hat makers. There are without a doubt more accurate hats out there of equal quality, but the fact that he's literally a 10 minute bike ride from my home and still running his hat shop in the heart of the City of Buffalo is what sold me. To me its an opportunity that would be just silly not to take advantage of.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Agreed 100%! :M: :tup:

Regard! M
Jack@hatter
Vendor

Post by Jack@hatter »

Michaelson wrote:What I like best about all this is you're keeping a local craftsman employed.

HIGH regard! Michaelson
Indeed. Hear hear.

Regards jack
Screencapped
Vendor

Post by Screencapped »

It's a fine looking hat Jerrod! It certainly looks LC to me especially with the lighter brown ribbon. :tup:

Brian
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

anindyjones wrote:It's a fine looking hat Jerrod! It certainly looks LC to me especially with the lighter brown ribbon. :tup:

Brian
Thanks Brian! I wanted a LC style hat without really being modeled after a specific one used in the film, and I think he captured that for me. I’ll be posting more pictures when it arrives this week.

KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Well my Gary White hat is now on my head. So far I'm really enjoying it, felt is finished very well and it fits great. The beaver felt is nice and thin, and the color of the felt and ribbon is just what I had in mind. The bash is much more Temple of Doom than I expected but thats okay by me. The hat is very light weight and feels of high quality. My only complaint would be that its a bit stiff out of the box so I've been trying to sort of work the felt with my hands where I want it to be more pliable. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/Bwj9vSI.jpg?1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/zBgCu9G.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/FetWmZ6.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/Nvj4KlB.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://i.imgur.com/ulLjpXr.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Ive been tweaking the bash my hat within the last week and it now looks like this... Im liking this look better

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/ifqU4MC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looks great man. Good job. Don’t let anyone here or anywhere tell you anything else. It matters what you think.
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Jeremiah wrote:Looks great man. Good job. Don’t let anyone here or anywhere tell you anything else. It matters what you think.
Thanks Jeremiah. I feel that people can like my hat or not. makes no difference to me. I’m just trying to get it just right for myself.

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thing is, I haven't read a single negative remark ABOUT your hat. :-k

It's a very nice hat! Enjoy! :M: :tup:

Regards! M
KhanVader
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by KhanVader »

Michaelson wrote:Thing is, I haven't read a single negative remark ABOUT your hat. :-k

It's a very nice hat! Enjoy! :M: :tup:

Regards! M
Oh no neither have I, just replying to what Jeremiah said. And thank you again Michaelson, much appreciated!