Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

wested custom raiders

Post by gonzoartist23 »

first time post
just got my custom hero back from wested, this is the remake. the first was way too big. their customer service has been phenomenal
i just got the new jacket and so far it fits great. the only issue is the back flaps tend to puff out a little too much.
anybody else have this issue? I'm not going to send back. if anything ill have my tailor stick them down or something
the shrunken lamb is awesome. not too heavy- i live in CA so it will work
thanks so much!
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: wested custom raiders

Post by Glenville86 »

The flaps on the back portion on the sides don't lay flat much on most of my jackets except the heavier hides. Think this is what you are talking about.
shaggs007
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shaggs007 »

When i had my custom LC made i asked for elastic bands to be sewn into to the back to keep the pleats tucked in.

You might be able to have your regular tailor/seamstress do this for you also.
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

Glenville86 wrote:The flaps on the back portion on the sides don't lay flat much on most of my jackets except the heavier hides. Think this is what you are talking about.
exactly but there is a lot of sticking out...the sizing may be slightly off but I'm not going to send back again..ill just take to the tailor
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

shaggs007 wrote:When i had my custom LC made i asked for elastic bands to be sewn into to the back to keep the pleats tucked in.

You might be able to have your regular tailor/seamstress do this for you also.
never thought to do that..
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Can you post a picture so we can see to what degree of sticking out you're talking about? I've probably had about 6 westeds over the years, I've not found it to be a significant issue so I'm curious.
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

xmasters wrote:Can you post a picture so we can see to what degree of sticking out you're talking about? I've probably had about 6 westeds over the years, I've not found it to be a significant issue so I'm curious.
after measuring the jacket, the sizes are again not what i asked for. almost every measurement is off- especially the pit to pit which i believe is causing this...i asked for 21" they sent me 25" its a shame because the leather is awesome , jacket looks great but way too big
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

That's a shame. What chest size is the jacket labeled as?
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

xmasters wrote:That's a shame. What chest size is the jacket labeled as?
its marked as a 44" which i asked for but I'm short, 5'5" have a big chest but rest of me pretty lean. i gave them measurements from an older indy jacket which fits great. this has the silver zipper...
id ost a pict but don't have a photo bucket, etc yet
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

My recent Raiders custom 40" has a pit to pit of almost 22 so it does sound like something went wrong there.
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

yeah i don't know what the deal is...maybe i don't take a 44" in wested...but thats my chest measurement
bizarre
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Well they do build a bit of extra comfort and room into these jackets. Perhaps what you need for more of a snug fit is to go down a size to a 42".
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have also noticed that if I tighten up the side straps on my Wested jackets, it will make the back flaps flair out more.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

xmasters wrote:Well they do build a bit of extra comfort and room into these jackets. Perhaps what you need for more of a snug fit is to go down a size to a 42".
If we were talking OTR,sure. But this is a custom jacket, and measurements were supplied. Twice, by the sounds of it. Wrong is wrong. ](*,)
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
xmasters wrote:Well they do build a bit of extra comfort and room into these jackets. Perhaps what you need for more of a snug fit is to go down a size to a 42".
If we were talking OTR,sure. But this is a custom jacket, and measurements were supplied. Twice, by the sounds of it. Wrong is wrong. ](*,)

The only thing that sounds wrong is asking for a pit to pit measurement that is 21 if you want a 44 sized jacket. A pit to pit measurement that is 21 will give you a size 42 jacket.

I thought Wested said they stopped using the pit to pit measurement last year anyway, because in their own words people kept getting confused about how to use it.
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

xmasters wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote:

The only thing that sounds wrong is asking for a pit to pit measurement that is 21 if you want a 44 sized jacket. A pit to pit measurement that is 21 will give you a size 42 jacket.

I thought Wested said they stopped using the pit to pit measurement last year anyway, because in their own words people kept getting confused about how to use it.
i explained to them that i was basing measurements from an older mass produced indy jacket and that my chest is 44" if that was going to mess the pit to pit up i wish they 'd tell me..this is the second time and both with 25/26" pit to pit but also sleeves were wrong , back 1/2" ;longer shoulder 1/2" off..was a mess
Illinois James
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Illinois James »

A 44 should measure somewhere around 24" pit to pit. That's pretty common for most of our jacket makers, for a normal fit. It does vary a little.

G&B's got very generous at the end there, though. Some Wested Raiders might go 25".

A 21" pit measurement is more like a 38 I'd say.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I have to agree that a 21" pit-to-pit can't possibly fit a 44" chest. I'm not excusing the screwed up jacket measurements, but something else here is off.

Gonzo - is that 44" based on you actually measuring your chest, wearing just a shirt? Or are you going by the label of a jacket that fits you?
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:I have to agree that a 21" pit-to-pit can't possibly fit a 44" chest. I'm not excusing the screwed up jacket measurements, but something else here is off.

Gonzo - is that 44" based on you actually measuring your chest, wearing just a shirt? Or are you going by the label of a jacket that fits you?
my measurement with a shirt is 44"

i have an older indy jacket(30 yrs old) pit to pit is 21" this jacket looks much better on me but a little snug...it seems like in this jacket I'm closer to a 42
i looked at west's size chart, off the rack and a 42 is closer with some other exceptions, arm /back length, etc

this is new t me so i could see where there would be an issue i did explain all of this but other measurements were not correct
I've since sold the brand new jacket and am in the process of ordering one form S&J

a shame because the wested leather was awesome..i just don't want to take another chance
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

My size 38 Wested Raiders has a pit to pit of 20" . My size 38 Hero Wested has a pit to pit of 19".

These jackets are not the same pattern obviously, and that's reflected in the difference.

My chest measures 38 exactly. Both these jackets give a good tailored fit on me, with slightly more room for another layer on the former.

The only way I can get a larger chest measurement on myself is if I wrap the tape measure around my arms as well which makes about 45". That's not what you're doing is it? I just don't understand this discrepancy between fitting a pit to pit 21 and also having a chest that measures 44.
gonzoartist23
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by gonzoartist23 »

xmasters wrote:My size 38 Wested Raiders has a pit to pit of 20" . My size 38 Hero Wested has a pit to pit of 19".

These jackets are not the same pattern obviously, and that's reflected in the difference.

My chest measures 38 exactly. Both these jackets give a good tailored fit on me, with slightly more room for another layer on the former.

The only way I can get a larger chest measurement on myself is if I wrap the tape measure around my arms as well which makes about 45". That's not what you're doing is it? I just don't understand this discrepancy between fitting a pit to pit 21 and also having a chest that measures 44.

hahah i definitely did not wrap the tape measure around my arms... i just think now that these jacket I'm a size or 2 smaller then what my actual chest size is... another issuere is that I'm short so that may effect it
but most of the measurements were wrong anyway from what i had asked for so i may try wested again in the future but I've since ordered from another vendor since
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

By the way, these 'back flaps' are actually called 'action pleats', if anyone wants to know the true term. ;)

Regards! Michaelson :M:
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

:D

"Back flaps..."

Sounds like those wild humanized flying squirrel costume pieces...

NO CAPES!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I have a custom Raiders in a size 46" reg and the Pit to Pit is 25 inches which to me seems oversized compaired to my A2 jackets in a size 46" where the Pit to Pit is 24 inches and since the Raiders was based on the A2 style you would think it would be around the same sizing.

From what I have read, Wested do not use the Pit to Pit sizing method which to me personally, gives a good indication as to whether the jacket will fit you properly or not.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Marv wrote:I have a custom Raiders in a size 46" reg and the Pit to Pit is 25 inches which to me seems oversized compaired to my A2 jackets in a size 46" where the Pit to Pit is 24 inches and since the Raiders was based on the A2 style you would think it would be around the same sizing.

From what I have read, Wested do not use the Pit to Pit sizing method which to me personally, gives a good indication as to whether the jacket will fit you properly or not.
Some of the older military flight jackets were cut smaller than modern jackets. Modern outerwear jackets usually allow around 4-inches over the jacket size. Wested just uses standard sizing like everyone else for the most part. I once bought a vintage flight jacket in a size 48 that I could barely zip and the sleeves and length were way, way too short. I would have needed at least a 52 in that style. :lol:
xmasters
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by xmasters »

Marv wrote:I have a custom Raiders in a size 46" reg and the Pit to Pit is 25 inches which to me seems oversized compaired to my A2 jackets in a size 46" where the Pit to Pit is 24 inches and since the Raiders was based on the A2 style you would think it would be around the same sizing.
The Raiders (Hero in this case) jacket was originally designed just for Harrison Ford, so there was no need to take any thing other than his measurements into consideration.