Shooting the Indy Smith

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Shooting the Indy Smith

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

So, for those of you for whom it is legal and who own one. Whether it be a Batby or a Stembridge conversion. What are your impressions shooting? Is the sighting arrangement on the Bapty junk or is it at least as good as the origanal sights? Also do any of you rotate your Indy guns ( revolver or not ) into your daily carry?

Not trying to stick my nose into anyone else's business, just trying to get some impressions before I lopp 1.5" of what I consider to be a perfectly good 1937 Brazilian model smith.
And yes, it's my part of my EDC in its current form.

Cheers, Jordan.
Cajunkraut

Re: Shooting the Indy Smith

Post by Cajunkraut »

Not that I wouldn't - I just simply haven't fired either my Bapty or Stembridge conversion. They're old and worn. Even if they weren't, they'll never see EDC (Every Day Carry) since I don't train with 'em.

The Bapty is a keepsake purchased from the estate of a dear friend, and the Stembridge is pretty much my cosplay piece.
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Nice!

Fortunately for me, mine was rough. Loose cylinder, poor grips and it had the naughty habit of spitting lead at the shooter to my left. But a lot of love and a bit of gun smithing turned it into a nice dependable shooter. Not a tack driver but if I do my part and the gun gods are happy I can keep my group confined to a 6" pie plate at 75 yards.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

That's a helluva shot. Farthest I've attempted with a handgun is 50 yards, and that was lobbing 125 grain .357 SIG into a man-sized silhouette from the prone position.
Woodsrunner79
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Woodsrunner79 »

Thank you.

Growing up my brothers and I got to learn from some very adept shooters. Gentleman you'll never read about in books or magazines but scary accurate handgunners none the less.
Please don't go thinking I'm bragging. I'm not the least proficient pistolshot I know Nor am I the most. There's many a man that can do better, but I do have my days.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

:) :tup:
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Just popping in to comment.
I bought one about 10 years ago, found a smith to cut my barrel and re-blued.
Picked up and noticed the barrel was a little shorter than requested.
He said it would have been a crime and he just happened to have a barrel that they call bunged, so he cut that one and saved the old barrel. So while all have been re-blued, I still have the original barrel.

My shooting with it is 50/50, the site is little taller than spec, so one day I have to figure that out.

Croft :mrgreen:
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I can't comment on the shooting of an Indy gun, but I have to say... cutting into a "perfectly good 1937 Brazilian model smith" just seems wrong.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Chewie,

You're not the first to express that sentiment. At least I can say that both of mine were cut before I got 'em. Realistically though, I wouldn't have an interest in either Raiders revolver in any barrel length were it not for the movie association.