FRYE OR JCREW - WHAT'S A GUY TO DO ? ? ?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

FRYE OR JCREW - WHAT'S A GUY TO DO ? ? ?

Post by image »

I want to buy a pair of Indy-like boots but, not ready for Alden yet. There are two pairs of boots I'm considering they are, (1) Frye Walter Lace-Up and (2) JCrew Kenton Pacer. Unfortunately, I can't see them because they are not sold in my local stores so, I have to order on-line. Can anyone comment on the quality of these boots? Are there any other boots that you can recommend. (Yes, I have read the current postings in this forum but, thought someone may have some updated comments. Thanks
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: FRYE OR JCREW - WHAT'S A GUY TO DO ? ? ?

Post by teneas »

image wrote:I want to buy a pair of Indy-like boots but, not ready for Alden yet. There are two pairs of boots I'm considering they are, (1) Frye Walter Lace-Up and (2) JCrew Kenton Pacer. Unfortunately, I can't see them because they are not sold in my local stores so, I have to order on-line. Can anyone comment on the quality of these boots? Are there any other boots that you can recommend. (Yes, I have read the current postings in this forum but, thought someone may have some updated comments. Thanks
I own a pair of Frye Walters. Absolutely, without a doubt, my favorite boots that I own. Simply built like a tank, and freaking comfortable. I keep looking for Alden's on ebay, but I don't honestly think I need them. Love my Walters!
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Frye boots, Walter I think they are called, have slight inaccuracies but you couldn't tell. Very comfy, very strong. I have seen the JCrew ones in person and, for some weird reason, they just looked a little off....like the shape of the toe area or something but it just didn't click with me personally. But maybe with Indy pants they might look better.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

On quick notice, I found this pic....
The ones with the pants leg on them are Aldens....the ones on their right are the Frye Walters.
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... hwtou1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the JCREW Aldens Indy in Suede....not the Pacers just thought I'd share them....

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h304/ ... gwp2f8.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

Has anyone seen, in person, the Frye Walter Country Lace-up? They have the "Commando" style lug sole and a rugged looking leather upper.
What are your impressions?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I can't speak to either of the boots you mention and probably not helping by making a third suggestion, but Timberland has a close enough option at a decent price point.

https://www.amazon.com/Timberland-West- ... display-20" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't own this particular pair of boots, but have been wearing Timberlands for decades. Some will say their quality has slipped from being a true "outdoor boot" to a "fashion brand", but each pair I've owned has lasted over 10 years. My current pair of Earthkeepers are 8 years old and have many miles on them and many more to go.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

What is your budget for a pair of boots?
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

$250.00
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by image »

Thanks all for your comments. I decided to pay more and buy the Alden 403. Now I know I'll be 100% satisfied.
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

I might be in the market for some Alden 405s too. My Chippewas are finally starting to come apart after 6 years. They were resoled a year and a half ago, but I just noticed the sole separating from the right boot at the heel (the nails they use seem to have been too short). Some of the leather is cracking too at high stress areas. I might have them fixed up and keep as my backup/work boots.

How's the Alden sizing?

EDIT: Read that the Alden sizing goes about 1/2 size smaller than Brannock device sizing. Since I now "need" a new pair of boots, the trigger has been pulled for a pair of 405s. :)
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

Missed out on this thread the first time around. I just got a pair of Frye Walter oxford low top shoes. They are actually nicer than my Alden 403s, quality wise. I'm super impressed with them. Got 'em on eBay for half price from someone who wore them once.