Hat aging

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

MVincentR
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Hat aging

Post by MVincentR »

I'm all set for the Cherry Capital Comic Convention at the end of this month in Traverse City...but the hat I have, bought from a costume shop, looks too new.....my jacket and clothes and even my homemade leather holster all look worn and distressed...but that hat just looks brand new....what can any suggest for wearing out this hat so that it looks like it's been worn through lots of adventures....that is without destroying it completely...remember, it's just a costume shop hat...nothing fancy or anything.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Hat aging

Post by Michaelson »

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f ... lers+earth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some light reading. ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Except maybe the part about wearing it in the rain. A costume quality hat probably can't handle getting wet without turning into something Peter Pan might wear. :TOH:
Canasta
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Canasta »

I think Joey and his girl are a couple of the best IJ cosplayers out there.
He painted his hat, and aged this clothing with paint (shirt, pants, dress - not the jacket)

rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

I just wear mine when working outside.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Fuller's earth and a soft sponge and dap it in the spots you think should be stressed and then use a soft paintbrush to blend it in better and it will keep the look until you decide to seriously brush it out. That works for me!
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Quick word on fullers earth, once you use it you can't get it all out unless you get your hat professionally cleaned. Since it is a costume shop hat that's probably not a concern, but members have put fuller's earth on their hats and then were disappointed when they want to use their hats for 'dress' and can't fully brush all the FE off.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I wonder how it would look to use a hair dryer (air mode)'or fan and blow the "sand" into the hat? Anyone try that?