Kangaroo Legend jacket, a year and a half later.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Kangaroo Legend jacket, a year and a half later.

Post by Weston »

This has been my go to jacket for a year and a half now. Haven't really had any reason to wear any of my other Indy jackets much after this one arrived. This is what it looks like after a year and a half of almost daily wear. No abuse, just lots of mileage.

Duck9000
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Kangaroo Legend jacket, a year and a half later.

Post by Duck9000 »

That is a great looking jacket to me! It's beautiful. Thanks for the pic! :TOH:
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

How you compare with Wested horsehide, in term of toughness and temperature range, thanks
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In comparison, the 'roo skin is king of the leathers for tensile strength/toughness according to all industry standards, but half the physical weight of the HH. I've worn mine from early Fall and into late Spring with no issues, and that's in humid Tennessee.

In terms of tensile strength, HH is a VERY close second. I have a prototype USW Legend pattern HH that I can only wear in late Fall to VERY early Spring. It's heavy!

Regards! Michaelson
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

A thing of beauty Weston. What does it weigh?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Weston isn't on line at the moment, but I can answer that mine is a shade under 4 pounds.

Regards! M
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I pulled the trigger one a XXL Regular today. I really, really don't need another Indy jacket..... :|

The measurements on the XXL were:

Shoulders (seam to seam) 23.25
Chest (Arm pit seam to seam) 28.25
Back Length (Center of back to end of jacket) 28.25
Sleeve Length (Center of back to shoulder to end of cuff) 37.5

I did not need a long in this jacket. Measurements are pretty close to my normal OTR Wested in size 50. Chest will be a little bigger but by .50 total. The XL-Tall would have worked but the jacket back was over 29 inches. I usually get a XXL-Tall or 3XL Regular in the USW Indy jackets. Both sizes are slightly larger in the chest than I need but I am more concerned with length.
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Way to expensive consider it is not SA at all
Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

Hammerklavier wrote:Way to expensive consider it is not SA at all
Bill Kelso in Lambskin is about $716. Magnoli custom is $635 in goatskin. It's not the cheapest jacket on the market, but it's certainly not the worst offender. Kangaroo hide is very durable, and I don't think any of companies are offering a Roo hide jacket.

While some of the US Wings line up isn't incredibly "SA", I wouldn't agree the Legend series "is not SA at all". How exactly do you mean? Scalloped pockets, offseat arm seams, are some of the SA details I see.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

USW has never been the most SA jackets on the market, even the Legend series. What can be easily argued is they are among the best made jackets on the market. And kangaroo hide is the strongest hide available for leather wear.

This jacket is pricey, but as AD pointed out, its the only 'roo Indy jacket on the market so can be priced up there with the other heavy hitters.

I have one and it gets compliments every time I wear it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

Don't get me wrong, guys, I own two USW jackets, and I can't be more satisfy about the quality, just $900 is little too much for me, plus I am crazy about indy style jacket, I would say if I want real tough quality jacket I would go to Aero horsehide instead go to USW kangaroo, I really don't like the big collar of their jacket, otherwise I can't complain at all.
Weston
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Weston »

Michaelson wrote:Weston isn't on line at the moment, but I can answer that mine is a shade under 4 pounds.

Regards! M
3.13lbs for mine. Size L.

It's expensive, to be sure. I still think it's a good deal given what's lot of us spend on multiple jackets looking for the right combination of fit, accuracy and durability. Until some ones makes a TOD jacket like the one Holt has right now AND makes it in roohide, I'm good with this one!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Same here, Travis, and for the same reason.

It's also the best water resistant leather I've ever owned in my life! :shock:

Weird hide!

Regard! M
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

It's light and durable - what's not to like! It's lighter than my Wested goat.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Glenville86 wrote:I pulled the trigger one a XXL Regular today. I really, really don't need another Indy jacket..... :|

The measurements on the XXL were:

Shoulders (seam to seam) 23.25
Chest (Arm pit seam to seam) 28.25
Back Length (Center of back to end of jacket) 28.25
Sleeve Length (Center of back to shoulder to end of cuff) 37.5

I did not need a long in this jacket. Measurements are pretty close to my normal OTR Wested in size 50. Chest will be a little bigger but by .50 total. The XL-Tall would have worked but the jacket back was over 29 inches. I usually get a XXL-Tall or 3XL Regular in the USW Indy jackets. Both sizes are slightly larger in the chest than I need but I am more concerned with length.
Well - received the jacket today. Measurements were off on the XXL. Sleeve fits like a regular jacket but not as long as expected. Measured out to a 26 inch from the shoulder. Back length is 26 inches and the measurement provided must have been from the top of the collar down. Pit-to-pit is around 27 inches. Wearing wrangler jeans, the front of the jacket falls about 1 1/2 inches below the belt and in the back about 2 inches. If I posted a picture the majority of the folks would say it fits just right except for the sleeves not being "Indy" length. The cut on this jacket makes it feel restrictive in a sense moving the arms up and side-to-side but it may just be the leather not broken in yet. I have other Legend jackets and know the cut. I like the jacket and the leather is excellent. I am just going to have to get used to wearing one that is shorter in length than I usually buy. My other jackets are 28 inches in the back with 27 inch sleeves.
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Been wearing the jacket the last couple days. It has been growing on me. Just have to remember not to lift my arms shoulder length or the super sneaky flying squirrel will appear or the sleeves will go to the middle of my forearms. :lol:

I can live with that. ;)
Hammerklavier
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Hammerklavier »

do you mind share some pics ? thanks !!
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Whoa! :o That is a seriously wicked awesome looking jacket!

I want one now. As in, now!

What can I sell to raise that kind of money? :-k Everything I own, maybe? :-s
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

Hammerklavier wrote:do you mind share some pics ? thanks !!
Will try before too long. Can't take pics of stuff I collect when the wife is around - too many questions.

I have a couple Wested LC/CS jackets and this jacket fits about the same with the same flying squirrel action. My Wested Raiders jackets don't do that.