13 Old Burlington HJ brown adventure fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

13 Old Burlington HJ brown adventure fedora

Post by 3thoubucks »

I bought this on ebay. It's wool, crown too short and tapered. Image
Last edited by 3thoubucks on Sat Dec 12, 2015 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
darthjones2
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: 13 Old Burlington HJ brown adventure fedora

Post by darthjones2 »

Interesting block shape! It'll be interesting to see what it looks like in hand or if you punch it out and look at the open crown profile.

Great!
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

I got very excited about this hat. I thought maybe this was DN's idea of a "Crockodile Dundee Australian model" 8-[] I've always entertained the idea that the Raiders hat was some kind of fine wool. What if they popped this on Ford's head, it was too loose, so they cinched up the belt buckle, got the look, then slapped on a tightened ribbon instead? What if they took out the brass air vents and disguised the holes- the felt would be weakened and maybe the horizontal line I've always noticed circling the crown at that height would develop? The Screenused hat had no liner, neither did this, just a diamond shaped white satin label glued in the top. PLUS, it's rare 13 Old Burlington, which was where HJ was when the Raiders hats were purchased. ..PLUS..The BURLINGTON Coat Factory, was well known on this board, to be the the place to go to get a $10 fine fur Hare felt Tonak CZ fedora, backaround 2005.? :roll: --- There was a lot of mildew under the belt and the sweatband. I don't think the seller noticed. I didn't until I took the hat apart. It was gross. I threw it away :? Just kept the belt and label.
Didn't take any pics of the open crown, darthjones2... It was way tapered and too short.
Speaking of Tonak- http://www.tonak.cz/en/e-shop/western-h ... s412002139
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

yep that 'Australian model' will always throw a spanner in the works! x
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Never mind
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

With the high resolution screen caps we can get from Blu Ray disks, I don't see how they could hide holes in the hat like that. I sincerely doubt that would have been possible.

Still a cool find. ***** about mildew.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

David. She didn't mean that was the hat used in the movie. She used it as in a raw body so she could shape, cut the brim, etc, etc. And be able to hand something to Richard as a guide.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

DR Ulloa wrote:With the high resolution screen caps we can get from Blu Ray disks, I don't see how they could hide holes in the hat like that. I sincerely doubt that would have been possible.

Still a cool find. ***** about mildew.

Dave
I doubt the raiders hat ever had grommets, but I don't think it's impossible. I took these brass bits out of an Akubra, and the holes left in the felt were smaller than the open holes in the brass. The felt gets compressed that way when these grommets are pressed in. So, If you trimmed the brim down from 3 inches, you could punch out some tiny round plugs from the remnants, and glue them in. If done well enough, they might be impossible to spot, unless the hat was viewed with the naked eye in bright light.
This is the second ebay hat I've tossed due to mildew.
3thoubucks
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by 3thoubucks »

mark seven wrote:yep that 'Australian model' will always throw a spanner in the works! x
Yeah! And those Puffa HJ's hats like one you found are wool felt. I've gotta rethink wool felt as a possibility. This was my second wool HJ, and the felt on both were really thick and coarse. I would buy a Puffa because the block is stovepipe and telescope. The DN quote where she says it was a "Crocodile Dundee" really fits my theory though - The Dundee hat was a telescope crown!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:David. She didn't mean that was the hat used in the movie. She used it as in a raw body so she could shape, cut the brim, etc, etc. And be able to hand something to Richard as a guide.
I'm sure. That's been discussed here forever. I, saying it's impossible that was the model used in the film. I don't think anyone would go to the trouble of using brim shavings to stuff into the crown of a hat when the model that's been known to be used is a match for what we see on screen.

I'm, sorry, 3thoubucks, I just don't see this hat as being vented or made from wool.

Dave