Do Indy hats look good on younger folks?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

I am wondering what y'all think of how fedoras (real ones, not the dork wanna-be gangsta hats) look on us younger folk. I, for one, am 19, and sometimes I think my Raiders looks great on me and other times I feel like a kid playing dress up... Thoughts? I'll try to post pics of my hat soon...

Regards,

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Re: Do Indy hats look good on younger folks?

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

As long as you're wearing the hat and not the other way around you can wear pretty much anything you like and look good in it.

That said, I personally think a lot of the younger people I see wearing those canvas or paper teeny brim tragedies would look a lot better in a real hat. :TOH:
teneas
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by teneas »

I am 37 and still occasionally feel like it's dress up, however I have learned something. Confidence is key. Without question your confidence in the look is key. If you believe in the look, you pull it off. Sure there are still those guys that snicker and say things, but I don't even hear them anymore.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've worn a fedora including Indy styled fedora's since I was 19. I've never received anything except compliments, even from my girlfriends.

Not sure why fedoras would look different on young people vs old people. Wear what you want, who cares about anyone else. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I saw a young fellow wearing a fine Indy style fedora sitting at the mall today, and he just flat looked sharp.

As long as you wear it with confidence, it's only another piece of clothing, it because a part of YOU, you'll look great!

I've worn fedoras since I was 14....I'm 60 now, and have never looked back.

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I work part time with an older gentleman and a couple of times when he has seen me in my fedora, he has said he loves the hat and even asked where I got it!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

As Michaelson and Teneas said, wear it, dont let it wear you.

I never get anything but positive comments but typically my hat is partnered with a bowie and full sized handgun, so I really only get positive comments. People seem to think carrying a revolver indicates "style". I wont lie, normally I look like someone on "people of walmart" dot com. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Thanks for all the comments guys. Any suggestions on how to not let "the hat wear me"?
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

It's going to feel odd at first, you will wonder if you look "wrong." But as you get used to wearing a fedora and seeing yourself in one, it becomes natural. Regardless of age, these days it's a major style choice. Decide to own it, and you'll be fine.

My advice (vague at it may be) to not letting the hat wear you is to try not to think about it when it's on. It's weird, but you can kind of tell if somebody is thinking about what they are wearing. Don't play with it, don't fuss with it. Don't wear it to gain attention, and stick with your standard wardrobe.
Lastly, don't think about how you put the hat on, like should you cock it a bit, or is it straight. Just put it on however it feels most natural.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

Follow all of the above advise! Especially: "Don't let the hat wear you -- you wear the hat!" Then, it is part of you and you are not a part of it. Period! Next :- ? W>
Glenville86
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Glenville86 »

I have been living in Germany for most of the last 20 years. Many men still wear proper hats. I don't really get almost any "looks" at wearing a fedora. Only negative comment was on base one day when it was raining and some guy I did not know said howdy partner thinking it was a cowboy hat. I just glared at him and said at least I am not getting wet as he did not have a hat or umbrella. I have found my fellow Americans' to be very rude compared to people in other countries.

Anyway - wear what you like and don't be self-conscious about it like others have said. ;)
Elwood12653
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by Elwood12653 »

I'm 19 too, and I'm proud to own a fedora. I've tought about this question too, but after reading the answers in this topic I feel better.
alex1152
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by alex1152 »

Age doesn't matter, I'm 27 started wearing hats when I was your age. Wear it with confidence, be yourself. As everyone says the only hats that look ridiculous are those short brim cardboard/fabric things and the people who wear them thinking that they are awesome... Sorry I'm kind of a hater when I think about that people.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:It's going to feel odd at first, you will wonder if you look "wrong." But as you get used to wearing a fedora and seeing yourself in one, it becomes natural. Regardless of age, these days it's a major style choice. Decide to own it, and you'll be fine.

My advice (vague at it may be) to not letting the hat wear you is to try not to think about it when it's on. It's weird, but you can kind of tell if somebody is thinking about what they are wearing. Don't play with it, don't fuss with it. Don't wear it to gain attention, and stick with your standard wardrobe.
Lastly, don't think about how you put the hat on, like should you cock it a bit, or is it straight. Just put it on however it feels most natural.

Good advice. Remember, if it's your first time to wear a fedora, especially an Indy styled lid.... you will get looks. This isn't a bad thing. You're wearing something that's actually pretty classy. But you WILL GET LOOKS. Be prepared. Be prepared especially for compliments. They will happen and you won't expect it due to you possibly being paranoid of your new found style.

As we've all said above. Wear it with confidence. And as I tell anyone, don't care. Do not care what anyone else thinks. Wear what you want and OWN IT.

:TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Can only echo what others have already said.

To the idea of 'wear the hat, don't let it wear you' concept, a brief story. I knew a guy in college that wore a sport coat everyday, everywhere. He had inherited a closet full from his grandfather who had done the same. "A man is not dressed without a jacket." He wore them in memory of his grandfather, but did so unconsciously so it came across as totally natural. Of course, he became known as "The Sport Coat/Jacket Guy" and he wore that name as a badge of honor.

As backstagejack mentioned, initially you'll get looks and comments, most of which will be positive/compliments. After a while people won't even see the fedora, they'll see you.

The thing I've learned to do for the occasional, "Who do you think you are, Indiana Jones?" comment is to respond, "No, but I am a huge fan. Yes, I'm a giant nerd." Own it. Yes, it's an Indy fedora. Put it out there and don't give any haters anywhere to go.

"Cuz haters going to hate, hate, hate. Shake it off. Shake it off."

Sorry about that, heard it in the car this morning. :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Indiana Jeff wrote: "Cuz haters going to hate, hate, hate. Shake it off. Shake it off."

Sorry about that, heard it in the car this morning. :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Haha no worries there :-) I happen to love T. Swift :- :D I do wish she'd go back to more country-style music though...
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:

The thing I've learned to do for the occasional, "Who do you think you are, Indiana Jones?" comment is to respond, "No, but I am a huge fan. Yes, I'm a giant nerd." Own it. Yes, it's an Indy fedora. Put it out there and don't give any haters anywhere to go

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
My favorite response to that question 'back in the day' was to look confused and say 'Indiana who'? then stare back at them with a blank look before walking off. :|

Confused the heck out of them.... :lol:

;)

Regards! M
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

You know, Michaelson, I am dying to use that one on somebody but the occasion hasn't occurred just yet!!!

Just this past Saturday, I ran into our local sheriff who I happen to know decently well. He said I was looking 'dapper' in my hat!!! Again, I've heard nothing but good stuff...
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Practice your best 'poker face' when you do it. It really throw 'em. :twisted:

;)

Regard!M
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Jeff wrote:.....

The thing I've learned to do for the occasional, "Who do you think you are, Indiana Jones?" comment is to respond, "No, but I am a huge fan. Yes, I'm a giant nerd." Own it. Yes, it's an Indy fedora. Put it out there and don't give any haters anywhere to go.

Not to mention.... nerd is in, right? I mean if people can wear comic book t shirts, star wars t-shirts and Doctor who converses/glasses/fez's, etc... why can't Indy be mainstream? I don't even think there needs to be an explanation anymore when it comes to things like these. And to almost echo Michaelson ....Indy who? Sadly, Indy's not up there anymore in the public. I haven't had an indy comment in a long time, to be fair.

And soon you might move on from an Indy hat to something else.... Heck, I wear a bowler hat during the winter months.... so remember that the Indy fedora is a gateway drug that can lead your noggin and style in some interesting places ;)
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I guess if they actually know its Indy, that is good!
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

One time I had a man say: "Indiana Jones?"...as I was walking by, so instead of responding to it as the question it was, I simply turned to him, placed my hand out and said: "Well Mr. Jones, it's a pleasure to meet you, my name is....etc." Talk about being totally befuddled. The poor guy didn't have a clue as to what to say or do next. I love those moments :- ! W>
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

They don't look good, they look better! :Plymouth:
youngjedi71
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by youngjedi71 »

old young middle age..dont matter..what matters is face,body structure. You either look well in things like hats, OR,..you dont.
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I honestly can't think of one person who does not look good wearing a hat.
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

This is my first year wearing a fedora. You'll get looks but you'll more often than not get compliments as well (though as a pretty big guy, it could be why I don't get much negativity). If you really feel uncontrollably self-conscious about it, I'd recommend weaning yourself into it. Find a social situation amongst good friends or an environment to test it out. My process was going to Disneyland where it's pretty commonplace to find people sporting em. Eventually, you'll find the comfort zone to wear it regardless of situation (unless it's blisteringly hot as it is now).
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

If Disneyland is anything like Disney World, you'll find more people will try to BUY your hat off your head too! I know I do when I go down. :roll:

:lol: ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

I once had a guy at my local flea market want to buy my hat. i said $800 and he almost looked like he was going to entertain the thought for a sec. He smiled and walked on though turning every once in awhile to look back. :lol:
zaynecarrick
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by zaynecarrick »

Michaelson wrote:If Disneyland is anything like Disney World, you'll find more people will try to BUY your hat off your head too! I know I do when I go down. :roll:

:lol: ;)

Regard! Michaelson
Yep!
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

I'm almost 37 now, so don't fit into the "younger folks" part anymore....

But I found that wearing a good, well-fitted suit, nice shirt, and waistcoat, and good tie and shoes also really helped me "settle in" to wearing a good fedora....The whole combination is a stunning way to look, and it still feels "easier" to wear a fedora with a suit than with a tee-shirt and jeans....I've seen several people try and force the fedora to fit with ANYTHING they wear and while that is fine, after a while settling in? At first, you'll look at odds with yourself and that won't help with the self-confidence.....A great suit and hat though? Confidence is all you'll have......

Plus, it eliminates the whole "You want to be Indy?" thing......The closest you'll get, is "gangster?", which is hardly an insult.... :D

After a while, when you really ARE fine with wearing the hat, and feel natural with it, then yeah, wearing it with almost anything is far easier...But until then, I'd suggest trying it with a suit for a totally formal feel...And getting used to THAT first....Then relaxing your clothing choices...

Just an idea..
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Where's the 'like' button when you need one? :clap:

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Great advice fifthchamber. Couldn't agree more. A suit and fedora is the best combo!

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

One of the best compliments I ever got wearing a fedora (and one that was totally not Indy) may have been an attempt at "You like like Indiana Jones." Either the guy was trying deliberately to avoid putting it that way, or he forgot Indy's name, but it came out along the lines of "I love your hat. You remind me of Harrison Ford." I'll take that! :mrgreen:

It will come in all forms, positive, negative, or just hard to be sure. Sooner or later, somebody will want to know where you got your hat, because they can only find junk.
And you'll really know your hat doesn't wear you when a total stranger says they wish they could pull off wearing a hat like that!

And I second-to-infinity what Fifthchamber said.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:One of the best compliments I ever got wearing a fedora (and one that was totally not Indy) may have been an attempt at "You like like Indiana Jones." Either the guy was trying deliberately to avoid putting it that way, or he forgot Indy's name, but it came out along the lines of "I love your hat. You remind me of Harrison Ford." I'll take that! :mrgreen:

It will come in all forms, positive, negative, or just hard to be sure. Sooner or later, somebody will want to know where you got your hat, because they can only find junk.
And you'll really know your hat doesn't wear you when a total stranger says they wish they could pull off wearing a hat like that!

And I second-to-infinity what Fifthchamber said.
Shucks Chewy you're lucky! All I get in a suit from friends and family is "you look like tony soprano". In regular clothes, "you look like parry the cable guy". In a fedora, I never get comments from anyone one way or the other. I suppose I prefer no comments. Im a pretty outgoing guy but in public setting around strangers I prefer to just go about my business and not have people approach me. Maybe I just have a sour looking face when I'm out and about! :) No doubt, it's from work on any given day.

Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

So here's me in the hat... I know the black clashes with the brown... sorry :-( Image
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
rogera
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by rogera »

I find wearing anything with a collar helps offset the width of the brim of any fedora and make it look less awkward. I always wear a button up shirt with a collar with my fedoras. Not necessarily a dress shirt mind you.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

its attitude not age that matters.
Dr. Jones, Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Dr. Jones, Jr. »

rogera wrote:I find wearing anything with a collar helps offset the width of the brim of any fedora and make it look less awkward. I always wear a button up shirt with a collar with my fedoras. Not necessarily a dress shirt mind you.
Yeah, I was just bored in the car after church... I don't wear dress shirts everywhere, don't worry :lol: [-(
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

Looks good.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Black goes with everything. You're fine!
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

I wear brown fedoras with black or grey all the time.

I even wear one with shorts and a t-shirt. People only comment when I don't wear the hat.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i always a black shirt when i wear my fedora
Jeremiah
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Jeremiah »

For me, it's more like what do i wear with my fedora.
Anything.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fifthchamber wrote:I'm almost 37 now, so don't fit into the "younger folks" part anymore....

But I found that wearing a good, well-fitted suit, nice shirt, and waistcoat, and good tie and shoes also really helped me "settle in" to wearing a good fedora....The whole combination is a stunning way to look, and it still feels "easier" to wear a fedora with a suit than with a tee-shirt and jeans....I've seen several people try and force the fedora to fit with ANYTHING they wear and while that is fine, after a while settling in? At first, you'll look at odds with yourself and that won't help with the self-confidence.....A great suit and hat though? Confidence is all you'll have......

Plus, it eliminates the whole "You want to be Indy?" thing......The closest you'll get, is "gangster?", which is hardly an insult.... :D

After a while, when you really ARE fine with wearing the hat, and feel natural with it, then yeah, wearing it with almost anything is far easier...But until then, I'd suggest trying it with a suit for a totally formal feel...And getting used to THAT first....Then relaxing your clothing choices...

Just an idea..

I like this line of thought. To get used to wearing a fedora if one is not sure of himself but just a little reminder that fedoras aren't formal wear. Fedora is a everyday hat. The homburg is a formal hat meant for suits. You can wear a fedora with anything. It's all how you wear it, "own your hat." I have seen people look fantastic wearing a fedora with t-shirt and jeans and I have seen some look uncomfortable wearing it with a suit. I do agree with fithchamber that most people will feel more comfortable dressed in a suit and then working it into their daily life.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Here is my Garrison. 4 hours in the truck..finally arrived at our destination. I wear my fedora with camo a lot. I see alot of people wearing Indy looking adventure type hats with camo out here. Elk season starts tomorrow hence my camo. These hats do go with anything. And being me, I am usually a walking "fashion don't". I just don't care. :)

Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

See . . . . I told you . . . brown goes with anything . . . :shock:

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

And...now I won't be sleeping for 6 weeks. :shock:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Funny thing is . . . no-one recognized me without the hat . . . 8)