Elastic or Not Elastic

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Should I add elastic to the jacket back?

No elastic
58%
Add elastic
42%

Total votes: 74

PETER
Vendor

Elastic or Not Elastic

Post by PETER »

I know I have always said I did not want to put elastic accross the action pleats but have had many orders asking for it and it seems to work very well.
So the question is do I eat humble pie and copy the other company and put the elastic in as standard or do I carry on as I have been putting it in only on request.
I would make a POLL but I know not how.
So replies would be appreciated.
Cheers
Peter
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

There's your poll, Peter. Regards. Michaelson
copper
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by copper »

Keep it original.
Copper
FLATHEAD
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by FLATHEAD »

I say make it an option like the gussets and additional inside
pockets if its not too hard to incorporate.

As you stated, it does work well, and most people who have
had a Wested for any length of time will see that they do make
a difference in the jacket once it gets broken in.

The folks with new jackets don't see this because their jackets
are still new and relatively stiffer, and the pleats aren't staying
open yet.

Flathead
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'd say keep it an option but make sure that people are aware of the option. Perhaps make it one of the standard questions asked when an order is being placed and have a section for it on the website explaining all about it.
Thanks for asking us for our imput, Peter.
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I'd vote for the option as well.

Thanks for the continious improvement of your product Peter.

By the way; how about a more durable liner? THAT would be greatly appreciated by this writer.

Regards,

Marc
Pyroxene
Admin Emeritus

Post by Pyroxene »

I say carry on.

My pleats stay open but so what. I can't see them.

Just my $.02
Pyro
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

I would agree that it should be an option. I opted for elastic myself after reading through the various information available. However there may be others that don't want such. My goals with a wested are different than others afterall.. and we all live different life styles which could influence such as well.

Regardless Wested's dedication to improvement and not only accomodating special requests but asking us shows how special they truely are.

Hats off to Peter, Gerry and the rest of the staff at Wested'd! =D>
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

I agree with it remaining an option. After all there are plenty of scenes with Ford's pleats staying open, so who's to say it's a bad thing? :wink:

Thanks Peter.

Mike
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Yes, make it an option. But let the standard version stay as close to the original movie jackets. If somebody wants elastics, he will tell you (I guess) ...

Thanks, for the time you take yourself for us (sometimes really crazy) Indy-holics ...
mechinyun
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by mechinyun »

I say leave it as not "standard" but perform the modification when asked.

That is the reason you have the "modifications" box on your website :)

HOWEVER, im no leather jacket expert as yourself, i think us indygear heads serve as your most critical customer though, a good place to get opions like the one your asking.

Now if this modification DOES make the jacket a overall BETTER jacket for the long term as most people here have mentioned, it might be worth your while to just go ahead and incorporate it as standard. This way, newbies, and other customers will get a nice upgrade that will ad to the overall high quality factor of your product, somehwat Subliminally if you will. Also look at the numbers, how many orders your getting vs how many ask, factor it all together :)
Flash Gordon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Flash Gordon »

I had always heard that Peter was dead-set against adding elastic, so I didn't even attempt to ask for it.

If I had known...I would have asked for it, and the action pleats on all of my Westeds would not be open and wavy today. So, I vote for elastic.

Hats off to Peter for caring enough about what we think to ask for our opinions.
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I agrre, with it being an option. I figure alot of people are asking, and if you make it standard, then you will have people whining that they don't want it. I'd keep it an add on.

BTW, Peter, as soon as I get my leather samples, I'll be calling you up to order my jacket. Thanks for sending them out.
Mike
Mola Ram
Vendor

Post by Mola Ram »

keep it requested
not standard.
just my 2 cents
kindest Regards
molorom
P.S.
i await my jacket! :D
Band Director Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! CLAP! Deep in the heart of Texas!

Post by Band Director Jones »

First, thank you Peter for continuing to be a very flexible vendor who wants to make everyone happy and to produce the best product possible. YOU ROCK!!!

As for the elastic, I concur with most people who have posted and make it an option. I still don't understand how the elastic works to keep the pleats shut. I guess I have to see it to understand. :?
r.deckard
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by r.deckard »

Keep it original. No elastic. Make it an option. Peter, you're awesome for putting up with everyone's different requests. I can't think of too many other companies that pay as much attention to their customer base as Wested does.
SAB
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by SAB »

I think it should be an option NOT to put it in there, just for those who like to have as much authenticity as possible.

I had it put in mine (thanks Peter!) and it works great.

I think (I could be wrong), the average customer would much rather have it in there instead of trying to figure out why the pleats keep opening and how they can stop it.
Cooler King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cooler King »

I'd make it an option, but still offer the original. Don't mess with perfection... ;)

Just my thoughts on the matter. :)
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

I'd say make it an option, but not a request thing. Sorta like Raiders, Temple of Doom, or Last Crusade, make it an option of Elastic or No Elastic. Just my .02.

Regards, Daryl.
antiquity collector
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

option

Post by antiquity collector »

Yes, I'd keep it as an option. Maybe you could add a box to check off if you want it on the order page?

Ive got tons of photos where Harrison's are open. They just do that.

As soon as my leather samples arrive I'll be placing another order as well.

Thanks Peter,

Rob
West
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: option

Post by West »

antiquity collector wrote:Yes, I'd keep it as an option. Maybe you could add a box to check off if you want it on the order page?

Ive got tons of photos where Harrison's are open. They just do that.

As soon as my leather samples arrive I'll be placing another order as well.

Thanks Peter,

Rob
I'd think something similar to that for the gussets would be nice too.
Rixter
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rixter »

The fact that you have stated that this elastitation across the action pleats “seems to work very well” is a good enough reason to add it as an option for those who wants it.

BTW: It’s been said that a slice of humble pie always goes down best with a large swig or two of "falling down water." ;)
IndianaCollins
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaCollins »

You know, my Flightsuits has it, and I don't mind it, but my wested doesn't, and I don't really mind it either, especially since I can't see it. Peter, I'd say keep it as an option. Just what I think. Either way, we gearheads get a great jacket though.
Farnham54
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Farnham54 »

I'd agree with Agent5 and the countless others who said 'keep it as an option', but one that people know about. Unless of course, that would be too much work in the paperwork department, then make it standard. That way only people who really do not want it will ask you not to include it.

Cheers to you for your commitment to customers, Peter.

Regards,

Craig Whitton (who is wearing his Wested daily--even in the minus 30 we've had!)

Regards,

Farn
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

Yes... I'd say keep it as an option. However, you did always say that you were against the idea of adding the elastic because the original didn't have it... the original also didn't have the extra deep pleats :? . The elastic allows the jacket to function in the real world (the original jacket was a 'costume jacket' was it not?) but also retain the 'look' of the original film jacket. In my opinion I would go for the elastic... or maybe even TWO like G&B (aka flightsuits) use which seems to work very well. Also, you shouldn't see it as 'copying' the 'other' company... many companies use the elastic, I don't think that it is that uncommon (I may be wrong though).

I'll second the vote for a tougher lining... my personal favourite would be russet mil. spec. cotton twill.... luuuurvley :wink:

Tollan
Captain D
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Captain D »

I can agree with Tollan......

The original jacket didn't have the leather interior facings, the original jacket didn't have the cotton body-satin sleeves, the original didn't have the deeper pleats, heck....the original was LAMBSKIN....not cowhide nor Goatskin........so, in my opinion all of these things were to make this "movie jacket" into a more "functional" everyday jacket. Therefore, I don't see why adding the elastics would be any different if it makes the jacket "MORE" functional as an everyday jacket.
I can respect Peter for trying to remain as closely original as possible, but if it makes the jacket MORE "everyday functional," PLUS all of these are hidden from sight (with all of these elements that I have just mentioned above), no one can see these things anyway....then why not add them? So what if Flightsuits uses elastcs? Wested is improving their product, and thats all that matters anyway. All of those things mentioned above were NOT original, yet these produce a better functional jacket for everyday use. Why would the "hidden" elastics be any different?

I would buy The Wested jacket even without these modifications, but this is just my opinion......

Kind Regards,
Captain D
Rundquist
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Rundquist »

If you can’t see it, it doesn’t count. The naval G-1 flight jacket has used elastic since its inception in 1938. None of us have a wardrobe person to reset our pleats between takes in the movie of our lives. It’s a good idea. Cheers to Peter for considering it.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indiana Grendel »

Input from a new Wested owner and first time poster here. I've only had my Wested distressed cowhide for a couple of weeks (and the Pecard's is still drying, so I haven't had much chance to wear it) so my input has limited value, but I'd say make the elastic an option, not standard.

In addition to being an Indy fan, two of the main reasons I bought a Wested is because I like the classic style and customizability of the jacket. Had elastic been standard and I had known about it, I would have requested it be left off. While elastic certainly was in use in Indy's era, elastic just doesn't seem to fit with the style of the jacket to me.

But Peter, if you do make the elastic standard, please note on the order form that it can be left off on request.

Thanks for a great product that I anticipate enjoying for years to come!

Indiana Grendel
IndianaJames
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaJames »

Keep it original, but note it as an option. Perhaps a checkbox as someone else stated above...!

I J
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Just curious Peter, or whomever can answer this. How much elastic matrial is used between the pleats? Is it a sheet as long and wide as the back, or is it just a band going across the back connecting the two pleats?
If this has already been answered, forgive my insolence.
:P
Lindiana
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lindiana »

Gotta say I actually like the open action pleat, It's one of the main characteristics of the Indy jacket for me.
Lindiana
Indiana Joe
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Joe »

Flash Gordon wrote:I had always heard that Peter was dead-set against adding elastic, so I didn't even attempt to ask for it.

If I had known...I would have asked for it, and the action pleats on all of my Westeds would not be open and wavy today. So, I vote for elastic.

Hats off to Peter for caring enough about what we think to ask for our opinions.
I'd say make it an option. If I'd have known then, I would have ordered my pre-distressed cowhide with elastic since its continuously open pleats are my one pet peave.

Thanks for considering it, Peter!

I.J.
rbxb
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Elastic

Post by rbxb »

Thank you Peter, for caring!
The checkbox /option is a good idea.
My Wested does not have it but I will check the "box" for elastic for my next two Lambskins & upcoming "Rocketeer"

While I'm at it.....BRING back the LAMBTOUCH!

WESTED RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!
TomSpinaDesigns
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by TomSpinaDesigns »

I'd say keep it as an option but make sure people know it's available.

I know a lot of people would love to have that as an add on. For myself i'm kinda on the fence. It's nice, and i do get a lot of wear out of my jacket, but so far, my pleats have been behaving :)

I'd also be concerned (as someone who likes to add a touch of weather to his gear) that the elastic might "show through" as people distress the back of their jacket. Just another thing to consider...

tom
maessive
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by maessive »

I just received one with elastic.

It just seems to fit better and stays better in shape.
You cannot feel it i normal wear, but I makes the jacket stay more in shape.
No draw backs at all!
maessive
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by maessive »

I just received one with elastic.

It just seems to fit better and stays better in shape.
You cannot feel it i normal wear, but I makes the jacket stay more in shape.
No draw backs at all!
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

Could you repeat that?
simmo
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by simmo »

Could you repeat that?
:D
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

While I'm at it.....BRING back the LAMBTOUCH!
Well... I spoke to Peter last week and he said that the batch of Lambstouch Hide that they got in a while ago was sub-standard, so they decided to discontinue the material. This is a REAL shame... I was hoping to order one later this year....

Maybe we should pettition Pater to bring it back?

Anyone agree?
IndyBlues
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by IndyBlues »

I'm sure if Peter get's ahold of some leather that is worth the effort, he'll bring it back. No need for a petition. By saying that the leather he has is sub-standard, he's looking out for us. Although I'm sure if you bug him enough, and sign a waiver, he'll make you a lambs-touch cow out of the stuff he has.
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

IndyBlues wrote:By saying that the leather he has is sub-standard, he's looking out for us.
Quality control, gotta respect that. If we want a cheap jacket, we all can get one of those locally for less money, I'm sure.

IG
Tollan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Tollan »

All true... Wested don't want to be acossiated with sub-standard leather 8) . However, Peters tone seemed like they had basically given up on the lambstouch hide... period. I know that he, personally, much prefers the lamn skins although I know he will normally give the customers what they want.... but if he physically hasn't got the lambsthouch hide then.... :?

Anyway... time will tell....
Indiana Grendel
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Tollan wrote:All true... Wested don't want to be acossiated with sub-standard leather 8) . However, Peters tone seemed like they had basically given up on the lambstouch hide... period. I know that he, personally, much prefers the lamn skins although I know he will normally give the customers what they want.... but if he physically hasn't got the lambsthouch hide then.... :?

Anyway... time will tell....
With enough requests he may bring it back, if he can get good materials.

Cheers,

IG
Kentucky Blues
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kentucky Blues »

Come on people, the guy's not GOD, he's Peter. When he offers something, don't go asking for something else. If he felt it a good idea to bring back lambstouch, I'm sure he would. Frankly I don't mind not having it, as long as I have my goat :P

Regards, Daryl.
ob1al
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by ob1al »

I have purchased 2 westeds in my time - a lambskin and a cowhide.

The pleats on the lambskin DID suffer from this flappy phenomenon, but the pleats on my cowhide are just perfect, with NO ELASTIC. I think this is because I used the information from my first wested to get a more accurrate set of measurements for the cowhide, plus the skin is tougher and less prone to work out of shape.

In my opinion the elasticated pleats are a good option, particularly for the lamb, but the option should still be there to have it without.

Peter - could you list the various 'add-on's' on the Wested site and give people the information and choice when ordering?
Indiana Janice
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Janice »

I feel so honored to get the FIRST jacket from Wested with elastics \:D/
They do work well and have stood the test of time. I do say make them optional though. Maybe use them standard on the softer leathers :D

Just my .02

And Peter, thanks for asking us all. You rock!

Janice
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

No elastic as standard but have it obvious on the order form that it is available for anyone that wants it.