New(ish) Adventurebilt Raiders Fedora

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

bkurilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

New(ish) Adventurebilt Raiders Fedora

Post by bkurilla »

Happy to say that I semi-recently purchased a handmade rabbit felt Raiders fedora from Steve Delk at Adventurebilt. I'm really glad I managed to get one of these, as I gather from what I've read on here that Steve may be retiring soon?

Anyway, I placed my order in mid October 2013 and received my hat in early December...MUCH earlier than I expected. I've been breaking it in since then.

I'm still a newbie here on COW, so this is my first time posting pics...this is also the first "real" fedora I've owned. Needless to say, custom made is the way to go (btw, thanks to all who regularly contribute on here, as I've spent a lot of time reading through old threads trying to learn more about...well, everything from Indy hats to jackets and more).

So, without further ado, here are some pics (note that some of these were taken in a mirror, so left and right are reversed).

[img][IMG]http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/bkurilla1/Raiders%20Fedora/cd1aa553-f6b7-4a95-b973-ddd3fb371ffc_zpsc5d16ea3.jpg[/img][/img]

Also, just last night I placed an order for a Raiders jacket from Todd's Costumes. I was really going back and forth on what jacket to get, and was hesitant about Todd's because I feared it might be a little too "costumy." But after reading some very positive reviews on here, I decided to give it a try. So, I hope to post more pics when it arrives.

Brian
Last edited by bkurilla on Fri Jun 06, 2014 10:36 am, edited 3 times in total.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: New(ish) Adventurebilt Raiders Fedora

Post by WConly »

Very nice Raiders lid :tup:, :tup: ! W>
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

VERY nice looking AB! Now, wear it and get it to take on YOUR particular style with regular use.

You wear it well!

Regards! Michaelson :M: :tup:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

good score my friend, enjoy it.
bkurilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bkurilla »

Thanks! It's probably no exaggeration to say that I'm obsessed with this hat - the look as well as the quality, obviously.

That said, I'd like to take very good care of it. So, does anyone have any suggestions on favorite hat care products. When I received my hat, Steve recommended Scout's brand Stain & Water repellent. Haven't yet gotten around to treating it with this but I've been planning to soon.

I understand it's important to occasionally treat the leather sweatband as well to prevent cracking, right? Michaelson, I believe you even posted on another threat that you use Pecard's Leather lotion?

If anyone else has any helpful hat care tips, I'd be interested to hear.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Yes, the one that everyone leaves out, a hat brush.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, Pecards lotion on the sweat, but only once a year or so as needed. There's no 'right or wrong'. Just put some one it if it appears to be drying out. Most sweats are naturally lubricated with the oil from your forehead, but if it gets really gnarly, use some of the tips in the 'gear care' section to address it.
DEFINITELY a hat brush, and if you have loose change, a hat retainer (stretcher). It comes in handy at times.

Regards! Michaelson
Ridgerunner58
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Between the Edge of Nowhere and the Edge of Somewhere.

Post by Ridgerunner58 »

Ditto on the brush. The hat will last longer, look better and break in quicker if you clean it regularly.

There are few things more heartbreaking than finding insect damage on a good felt hat (or even a bad one if you really like the hat). Frequent brushing will prevent you from ever having to experience such a thing.

I keep one at my office and one at home, and pack one when I travel.
bkurilla
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by bkurilla »

Thanks, all. Yes, I made sure to get a hat brush early on. I knew brushing was important for keeping it looking nice (free of dust and in my case cat fur) but didn't realize brushing also helps prevent damage. Will definitely brush regularly.
APL
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by APL »

Awesome hat! And I would agree with the brush and retainer (stretcher). After wearing my hats over the summer, the sweat shrinks a little and I didn't realize how much I needed a "jack" until I got one.