Custom Indy Holster

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Custom Indy Holster

Post by ChrisMD »

Hey guys I have a quick question. I have a camping trip planned high in the mountains this summer. We get to our campsite by horseback. I don't want to wear my sidearm in my regular leather holster or something tactical. Id love to wear it on my Raiders gunbelt but I don't have a holster for this pistol that could work on that belt. I want to have one custom made. I will be most likely carrying my Hk P30. There are several custom leather guys and holster guys near me but id like to keep my money in the COW Family as I call it. I LOVE makeitjones work however I don't know how he will be able to make the holster to the specific dimensions and tight fit of the Raiders holster. Due to England's laws I can't ship him the pistol for a mold. Whereas I can just take it to a local leather guy and he can do some stuff on the spot. Curious what you guys think? Id love it to be as close to a Raiders holster as possible while still securely holding my pistol.

Sent from the Bantu Wind using Tapatalk.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Custom Indy Holster

Post by cm289 »

If you don't have time for a custom job I bet it'd fit in a military 1911 flap holster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

It doesnt quite fit unfortunately. I have a few of those floating around. I could always take my 1911 but I prefer to carry my P30 because it is what I train and compete with. But hey, a 1911 in a flap holster is WORTHY companion.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Whereas it's great you want to keep your purchasing within the COW family, supporting your local leather artisans is important too.

I can't think of any leather makers within the COW ranks that would do a custom holster, especially not on the timeline you have.

It would be going outside both the COW and your local makers, but check around on etsy. They have many leather artisans that may work for you.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Ok gents! I just received a call back from our local holster maker out of Wellington Colorado. His name is Michael Kole and I already have one of his holsters and mag holders and he does SUPERB work. He had no idea there was an Indygear website and sounded enthusiastic about it. Who knows guys, we may have a new Indygear supplier in the making! He is more than happy to make me an Indy style holster for whatever handgun I bring him. Needless to say I am very excited. Tomorrow I bring my pistol and Todds holster for him to look at and were gonna set it all up. Killer price too! I might have to have one made for all of my various carry pieces. He said he can replicate anything you bring him, and is always up for cool new projects. SCORE! :TOH: \:D/

http://www.michaelkole.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Looking forward to seeing this project develop! Keep us posted!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Custom Indy Holster

Post by ChrisMD »

Just left the gun show where I spoke with Michael and placed my order. Great guy, super helpful. He said he is open to Indy gear and for anyone who wants something to contact him. Here is his card. He's making me a Raiders belt next. Left him with my Raiders holster for comparison but he already makes some pretty close stuff. I urge you guys to contact him for projects! He ships!

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Sorry I'm late to the party on this one, Chris - been outa pocket for a while.

It may be a moot point now, but I started a similar thread a while back:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Cajunkraut wrote:Sorry I'm late to the party on this one, Chris - been outa pocket for a while.

It may be a moot point now, but I started a similar thread a while back:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=60341" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:TOH:

Thanks buddy! That was one if the inspirations for this thread. I wanted one like that, custom fitter for my Hk and as close to Indy's as I could get. One difference is he is leaving the bottom slightly open for drainage. He told me horror stories about repairing old flap holsters and the myriad of disgusting stuff he would find in the bottom.

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Custom Indy Holster

Post by ChrisMD »

Ok so a week ago I spoke with Mr Kole about the holster in more detail. He called to let me in on a few details. Due to the shape of a semi-automatic it is hard to make the holster screen accurate. He also said since I plan to put it through hard use, he strongly recommends a different style silent button attachment. He advised that the Indy style doesn't work so great for hard use. He said he had no problem doing it, but since I will be depending on having this pistol for my life potentially, it would be wise to go as sturdy as possible. So I agreed and asked him to keep the Indy/vintage vibe, but use improvements that he saw fit as a custom holster maker.

I got the call the other day and met him at his table at the gun show. WOW. This holster captures that vintage Indy field holster feeling, while SECURELY holding my Hk P30. I cannot wait for my first camping trip. Point being that I carry my P30 everyday and am very good with it as I should be for a daily carry piece. I HATE wearing a hip holster while on horseback or backpacking because it rubs when it makes contact with the backpack etc. So I will throw this on my Indy gunbelt so I can move it around as I see fit. Tactically this probably isnt the best way, a flap holster and all. But I am carrying this more for animals and such, and just to have it as piece of mind. I doubt I'll have to draw in the mountains! If all goes according to plan it wont leave the holster haha. Less talky, more pictures!

Included is a picture of my brand new as of yesterday Sig 226 Navy Mk25 in another of Michael Kole's holsters. You could say I am a fan of his leatherwork being that I own three of his holsters now. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

He does FANTASTIC leatherwork. Lifetime warranty. Bring it to him at a gun show and he polishes it and fixes it for free.

Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Really nice leather gear, Chris! :) :tup:

Think I'm gonna hit Michael up on a Raiders belt project as well.
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

I've gotta say, that is one of the most beautiful pistol holsters I have ever seen. Congrats!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

I paid $150 for this and I personally think that is borderline theft. His Western stuff is INCREDIBLE.

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Really nice work there. :clap:
ChrisMD wrote: Tactically this probably isnt the best way, a flap holster and all.
Reminds me of The Outlaw Josey Wales when Josey is facing down several soldiers and after winning the day:
Lone Watie: How did you know which one was goin' to shoot first?

Josie Wales: Well, that one in the center: he had a flap holster and he was in no itchin' hurry. And the one second from the left: he had scared eyes, he wasn't gonna do nothin'. But that one on the far left: he had crazy eyes. Figured him to make the first move.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

It's been on my 'to-do'' list for months now, but finally got round to making a Raiders style automatic pistol holster - this one is for the Browning HP (what else!) and think it came out looking pretty #### good.

Saddle sewn seam, no plug in bottom, rivetted belt loop and fastening strap on the back.

S sping press stud on fastening strap but could have gone with a larger ring sprung press stud, pull the dot stud or large brass Sam Browne stud.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

makeitjones wrote:It's been on my 'to-do'' list for months now, but finally got round to making a Raiders style automatic pistol holster - this one is for the Browning HP (what else!) and think it came out looking pretty #### good.

Saddle sewn seam, no plug in bottom, rivetted belt loop and fastening strap on the back.

S sping press stud on fastening strap but could have gone with a larger ring sprung press stud, pull the dot stud or large brass Sam Browne stud.
EXCELLENT! When can we buy?
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

This Hi Power version will be available to order from now on from my website – nice to have a crossover between my Indy holsters and my custom 'John Browning collection' range (Colt & Browning 1903, 1906, 1908, 1910, 1911 & 1935).

The width and tapered frame shape of the Browning designed pistols should lend themselves to this holster shape quite well.

An Indy version for the Colt 1903 is next on my list once I get some spare time to make a template. After that the Colt 1911 but will have to see how the grip safety spur fits in with the flap shape. Will be priced around £45 for the larger pistols with a choice of leather and stitching colour.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

makeitjones wrote:This Hi Power version will be available to order from now on from my website – nice to have a crossover between my Indy holsters and my custom 'John Browning collection' range (Colt & Browning 1903, 1906, 1908, 1910, 1911 & 1935).

The width and tapered frame shape of the Browning designed pistols should lend themselves to this holster shape quite well.

An Indy version for the Colt 1903 is next on my list once I get some spare time to make a template. After that the Colt 1911 but will have to see how the grip safety spur fits in with the flap shape. Will be priced around £45 for the larger pistols with a choice of leather and stitching colour.

This pleases me. I count me in for a hi power and 1911 whenever they are ready!
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

Took a while but I finally updated my IJ style vintage automatic pistol holster range to cover (running bottom left to right): Colt 1903 & 1908 pocket hammerless, Colt 1911 and Browning HP.

A scaled down version for the Browning 1906 / Colt 1908 might work quite nicely. May also try this style for the Browning 1900 & 1910.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

makeitjones wrote:Took a while but I finally updated my IJ style vintage automatic pistol holster range to cover (running bottom left to right): Colt 1903 & 1908 pocket hammerless, Colt 1911 and Browning HP.

A scaled down version for the Browning 1906 / Colt 1908 might work quite nicely. May also try this style for the Browning 1900 & 1910.

AWESOME! What would one for a 1911 cost?

MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Great holster,looks like I´m gonna buy me a Colt 1911 pistol and this holster... :-k
makeitjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by makeitjones »

About £49 in 8 / 9 oz leather plus shipping for the 1911
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Sent an email to MIJ about one for a semi auto. Once I order and receive it I will do a full review!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Update! Ordered a holster from Make it Jones. 1911 Raiders style holster. Ill post it when it arrives....I can't wait!!!!!!