2 Original WPG Bags side by side

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

2 Original WPG Bags side by side

Post by westy1970 »

I ordered a W&G bag from WPG to add to my H&S one. Here are pics of and comparisons of both
In the first picture you can see both bags side by side. The one on the right is the H&S dated 1942 and the one on the left is a W&G dated 1942. The H&S is more of a "khaki" color and the W&G is more "green". The hardware on both or in perfect condition, The W&G has smooth snaps and the H&S has not smooth snap/ The pockets/dividers are also in perfect condition. I have had the H&S for a while with a WPG strap and have taken it on a couple of trips as it fits my iPad perfectly. It is currently loaded with a journal from Magnoli, Todd's gloves, a CE flashlight and a Todd's knife.
Inside flap and close up of color on the W&G
Inside flap and color close up of H&S
Snap close up. Again, W&G on the left and H&S on the right.

There is an extra charge for the W&G bag and the regular bag was just luck of the draw, but since I personally know Jerry, he probably hand picked a good one for me.
Last edited by westy1970 on Fri May 24, 2013 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: 3 WPG Bags side by side

Post by westy1970 »

Thanks Tundra, this was my first review so your input is greatly appreciated.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Do any of yours have the eyelet on the inside small pocket? Apparently, the one in CS had the eyelet..... or maybe it was TOD, not sure....
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

Sadly, none of them do. On the originals, they both have a string attached to that small pocket that appears to have been stitched into the seam. The repro bag does not have the string, only the pocket and no eyelet. Could have been another manufacturer, though. There is a thread above this one that has a lot of pics and descriptions about various folks that made them. You might try asking the author of that thread or posting the question there. The trick would, also, be finding one from that manufacturer. I think WPG just grabs the one on top, unless you order the W&G bag. Another thought would be different runs from the same manufacturer. I have seen this in varying degrees in other militaria that I have collected over the years.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: 2 Original WPG Bags side by side

Post by Texan Scott »

Westy 'ol boy! I think I much prefer the H&S one.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

Well, you can see which one has a strap and which one doesn't. I'll keep the H&S for my kit and probably dump the other one or just use it for something else and leave the original strap on it.
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

I just watched ROTL and saw Indy come out of the Well of the Souls wearing a very green bag, like the W&G. May have to rethink my bag. W&G was reported to be the bag Indy used for that movie, but I can't remember the source now. More info to chew on.
indyfan1234
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by indyfan1234 »

where can i find a H&S one. i like that one better
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

All of my bags came from What Price Glory. You can always ask him. I have found him to be pretty responsive.
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

westy1970 wrote:All of my bags came from What Price Glory. You can always ask him. I have found him to be pretty responsive.
Ditto. Jerry actually answers his phone, and will accommodate reasonable requests.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I too got two bags from WPG and ended up with the same combo of colors. My W&G is the darker green but my more khaki bag is made by M & Co. H. It too has the rough faced snaps. It's by far my favorite bag.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/35223822@N ... 027836117/