Thinking of distressing my jacket and hat

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Thinking of distressing my jacket and hat

Post by westy1970 »

I have a G&B jacket that I bought here and it looks brand new. Since it "just fits" I am leery of wetting as I am afraid of shrinkage. I have read about acetone or rubbing alcohol to take shine off and using a fine grit sand paper to the seams and high spots. I am not looking to dirty up the jacket just accelerate the worn in look. As for the hat, I have an Akubra Fedora and after almost a year of wearing in every type of weather it still looks new. Again, not looking to be too dirty but maybe some salt stains on the band?

I have searched and there are a lot of discussions with out any details on how to do it. I see the results without the how to, other than "I used some Fuller Earth". How would you use it? How would you sand the edges? I need tips and details.

Thanks
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Thinking of distressing my jacket and hat

Post by Michaelson »

Since I don't practice the 'black arts' of gear distressing, choosing to allow it to age on its own, I wanted to suggest sticking to your 'after thought' of obtaining a SECOND jacket to try this on, rather than your G&B.

A lambskin or cowhide version would be best, as I'm assuming your G&B is goatskin, which is notorious for NOT aging that fast. They DO age, but not at the rate folks want, but lambskin and/or cowhide can and will....and are better canvases for distressing chores.

So, just a recommendation....get that second jacket to experiment and don't mess up your expensive, good G&B if you can help it. If you go too far, there's no coming back, especially roughing up the seams.

Just a suggestion....
:TOH:

Oh, and if you REALLY want 'official looking' distressing on your hat, just go stand around Tombstone Arizona for a day or so. You'll get all the natural dust/distressing you'll ever need. I found that out my self a couple weeks ago. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Tundrarider's "natural distressing" thread is my bible for this kind of thing. Can anyone link? Cant on my phone
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

I personally wouldn't use sandpaper. If you want to try to buff out some of the sheen and lightly age it try to use a dish sponge's course side, dry. It acts as a sandpaper but will not tear up the leather as bad.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

ChrisMD wrote:Tundrarider's "natural distressing" thread is my bible for this kind of thing. Can anyone link? Cant on my phone
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Michaelson wrote:
ChrisMD wrote:Tundrarider's "natural distressing" thread is my bible for this kind of thing. Can anyone link? Cant on my phone
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=53266" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
M, you are like a trusty 1911, always there, always reliable, and to the point!

Haha thanks
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The more time goes by, the more I appreciate the G&B. It is the Harley Davidson of Indy jackets in many ways. I like the Kelso for its attention to detail, but the quality, materials and functionality of the G&B is in a class by itself. No one else features inner construction with elastic straps, functional gussets and liner that mirrors the action back. G&B also uses the toughest thread out there. No one else can touch that for $500, or less on the secondary market. Take 'em all, I'll keep the G&B.

Treat it like a fine wine. Let it age naturally, and you'll be glad you did. Put some real adventures into it, and leave the sandpaper for wood. ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Tex, where a 'like' to click when you need one?!!! #-o :lol: :clap:
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

I can't tell you how many times I've thought the same thing :lol:
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

Hence my hesitation for distressing it. I've had it about 9 months ago and bought from an awesome member on this board used. I will leave this one as is and buy a second jacket, hopefully, from same said member if his offer is still good. :TOH:

ps, bookmarked the above thread to re-read as needed.
Now, any tips for the hat?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

fuller earth is the best way and is easy to clean off and doesn't have any ill effect on the felt.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

BendingOak wrote:fuller earth is the best way and is easy to clean off and doesn't have any ill effect on the felt.
:tup: +1
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

As to Fullers Earth, a quick check of Amazon shows lots of products calling themselves Fullers Earth for beauty and make up, they aren't really Fullers Earth. So the first, most obvious, question is which one to buy? Second, how is it applied? Gring it up and rub it into the ribbon? Moisten it first? Don't turn it into powder but rub the granules in? So many questions.

BTW, my wife felt under my pillow tonight and busted me with my jacket stashed there. Se asked what the h&$l that was and, as coolly as possible, I told her it was my jacket. She sort of, barely, tolerates this hobby so I played it off as naturally as I could, as if there is no other place my jacket should be. She just gave me laugh that you would give to a retarded puppy. More sad than anything.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

:rolling:

Trust me I've gotten the same thing from my wife. She'll probably get better with it in about 6 years ;) :lol:

About the Fullers Earth, Todd's costumes sells it fairly cheap and they ship it quickly. As far as application is concerned...
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

A lot of those hair products are volcanic ash. My Bride has a small shaker of the stuff when she wants to 'dirty' her hair. You know, when she's fresh out of the shower and has just washed it. :-s :lol: I suppose it would work the same.

You can also check your local pet and auto supply stores. Fullers earth is a type of clay very common in litter and oil absorbents. Check the label to make sure it's 100% fullers earth. Then just grind it to a fine dust and sprinkle on. Some members put some in a sock and beat their hat with the sock.

As for wetting down your hat first, I'm reminded of a quote from Michaelson years ago that dust and water make mud. [-X

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:As for wetting down your hat first, I'm reminded of a quote from Michaelson years ago that dust and water make mud. [-X

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
:M: :tup:
westy1970
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by westy1970 »

Ordered the stuff from Todd's. Hoping it goes better than the last order.