Anybody know where to get .45 ACP Blanks ??

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

I know the film industry has not had very good luck with .45s firing blanks but I'm in the market for blanks for my revolver for demonstartion and safety, anybody know anything or have any recommendations ??
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Re: Anybody know where to get .45 ACP Blanks ??

Post by Bigfoot »

A quick search on google found these- http://www.perfectshotllc.com/servlet/Detail?no=92" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and these http://www.atlanticwallblanks.com/45acp ... p_134.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope this helps.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

And one more...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0307350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bigfoot
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Somewhere in Southern Nevada, looking for a nuked fridge

Post by Bigfoot »

With those he wouldn't need half or full moon clips. :tup:
Mark Brody wrote:And one more...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/3-0307350" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Reenacting websites
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

When I was reenacting, we used to ues a black powder charge topped with a plug of floral foam. The foam disintegrated and burnt up when the weapon was fired. Just a suggestion...
R/S
Fritz
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

I have heard that using blanks can be detrimental to the gun as you're not shooting an actual bullet through the barrel. Rather, when you shoot the blank, you're firing hot gunpowder into the gun which collects and eventually pits the barrel on the inside. If you intend on using this gun purely for re-enacting or demonstration and not worrying about its collectability or value in the future, go ahead and use the loads. Otherwise, many gun collectors don't recommend shooting blanks in the gun for the reason above.

I'm sure even Spielberg and the props dept. knew that as well when they loaned out the guns. I think in Raiders they shot the gun 6 times (3 at the guy in the truck and 3 on the flying wing); in TOD, depending on who shot the gun - 3 on average; LC - 3-4; and CS: Russians much more, Indy none with his gun.

And even then they used at least half-loads to make the "bang" but cut down on the amount of gunpowder going and collecting through/in the barrel.

:TOH:
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

IndyRiv wrote:I have heard that using blanks can be detrimental to the gun as you're not shooting an actual bullet through the barrel. Rather, when you shoot the blank, you're firing hot gunpowder into the gun which collects and eventually pits the barrel on the inside. If you intend on using this gun purely for re-enacting or demonstration and not worrying about its collectability or value in the future, go ahead and use the loads. Otherwise, many gun collectors don't recommend shooting blanks in the gun for the reason above.

I'm sure even Spielberg and the props dept. knew that as well when they loaned out the guns. I think in Raiders they shot the gun 6 times (3 at the guy in the truck and 3 on the flying wing); in TOD, depending on who shot the gun - 3 on average; LC - 3-4; and CS: Russians much more, Indy none with his gun.

And even then they used at least half-loads to make the "bang" but cut down on the amount of gunpowder going and collecting through/in the barrel.

:TOH:
Im a firearms collector and historian. It is my number one hobby and has been for years. Let me clear some stuff up. Blanks can (and most are) be corrosive. This is bad for the gun obviously. However with proper cleaning you will be ok. I recommend Ballistol. It is fantastic stuff. Ive fired hundreds of blanks and never had problems with pitting. Blanks are like corrosive surplus ammo. Clean after firing within a few hours and your golden. Let it sit....youre in trouble.
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

I'm with Chris on this one. I've shot thousands of rounds of corrosive military surplus ammunition. As long as you clean the guns thoroughly afterwards, you'll be fine. Before Ballistol, we used hot soapy water. The hot water opened the pores of the metal and the corrosive salts could get out. Follow that with a good quality gun oil and you're good. We also would clean the guns for three consecutive days when we fired corrosive ammo, to ensure we got all the salts out. Just my two cents' worth...
R/S
Fritz
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Thanks for the info, I've never fired blanks before. You know when I bought my gun I never purchased a cleaning kit, I picking up one from S&W this month.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

After shooting corrosive Russian surplus ammo, I clean my Mosin Nagant with Windex before using more traditional products.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I only shoot 'tailored to my rifle' reloads in my model 1944 Mosin Nagant myself.

Regards! M
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Mark Brody wrote:After shooting corrosive Russian surplus ammo, I clean my Mosin Nagant with Windex before using more traditional products.
The ammonia in windex helps neutralize the corrosive salts in the ammo. But to save money grab some Ballistol. Not the aerosol, but the liquid that you dilute and use in a spray bottle. It neutralizes better than windex and soap and also costs less over time because you dilute it so much. I recently started using it and its great stuff. Works wonders and its actually good for wood, leather, and all types of metals. Completely safe on any finish, stain, or paint. And its green.
Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to pick some up!
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Mark Brody wrote:Thanks for the recommendation. I'll be sure to pick some up!
NOTE: i am not a salesman or spokesperson for ballistol hahaha. My gunsmith recommended it as well as a lot of fellow gun guys. Im in love with it now. Heres a good trick. Use motor oil to lube AR15s and other guns that get a high round count in a day, it burns off slower than marketed "gun lubes". 0W-40 is recommended.

Sorry for the derail!
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Many WWII reenactors use blanks from this site/ Just clean your weapons normally you will not have any trouble. I've gotten .303 British, 7.54 Mosin Nagant, .30 carbine, and 45 acp, and had good luck with all.

http://www.joeswansonsmotionpictureblanks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

IndianaRedmon wrote:Many WWII reenactors use blanks from this site/ Just clean your weapons normally you will not have any trouble. I've gotten .303 British, 7.54 Mosin Nagant, .30 carbine, and 45 acp, and had good luck with all.

http://www.joeswansonsmotionpictureblanks.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unless it says "non corrosive" you will need to clean like you fired corrosive ammo, not normally. Trust me this is from 20 years of shooting, collecting, and reenacting. If you fire blanks and then have a long drove home, spray the guns with windex or ballistol to neutralize as many of the corrosive salts as possible before cleaning. I cant stress to you enough about adequate cleaning after shooting anything corrosive. Do a full strip because with revolvers when that round goes off alot of grit and hot gasses get into the fire control group and under the grip panels. Over time its like a termite infestation. I shoot corrosive all the time, just gotta clean it correctly. Hot soapy water followed by a solvent followed by a thorough oiling is the ticket.

Most blanks are corrosive, so follow the "when in doubt" rule. Have fun!
hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

Putting in my late +1 to Joe Swanson's blanks. Be aware that they tend to be hot loads--very loud, lotsa flash.

Been using his blanks for years as a WWII reenactor, including using .45 with moon clips in my Webley.