I'm reading too much

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Jack Flanders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I'm reading too much

Post by Jack Flanders »

ok experts, based on the raiders and LC wested offers now, does the LC offer more arm/chest room in the same size?

example- do you think a 44 LC would have more room than a 44 raiders?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: I'm reading too much

Post by backstagejack »

Jack Flanders wrote:ok experts, based on the raiders and LC wested offers now, does the LC offer more arm/chest room in the same size?

In my experience an LC will have more room bar none, it's a roomier cut. The Raiders is a slimmer cut in general.

The only complaint I've heard about the LC cut is that the sleeves will ride up the instant you raise your arm......
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

It's also going to depend largely on which vendor to which you are referring.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

The torso of the jacket does ride up because the armholes are larger in diameter, as opposed to the Raiders jacket. Theory, but I think this could be why he wears this jacket unzipped during most all of the film, even during the motorcycle sequence. That and undoubtedly, the heat of summer had something to do with it as well.
Jack Flanders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jack Flanders »

backstagejack wrote:
Jack Flanders wrote:ok experts, based on the raiders and LC wested offers now, does the LC offer more arm/chest room in the same size?

In my experience an LC will have more room bar none, it's a roomier cut. The Raiders is a slimmer cut in general.

The only complaint I've heard about the LC cut is that the sleeves will ride up the instant you raise your arm......
Thanks, I'm thinking of the LC in goat with gussets.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Jack Flanders wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

Everyone tells me that the gussets on the LC is a good way to go.
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by WConly »

backstagejack wrote:
Jack Flanders wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

Agreed totally! The gussets, in any of the offerings give the most comfort for wear and give the sleaves a better length -- looks-wise! My previous 'Wested's,' with the same length sleeves, seem to ride up more, then the ones with gussets! The original jacket had gussets, except for the stunt men (Mod's correct me if I am wrong here)! W>
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

they all mixed jackets. Ford wore with and wihtout gussets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The gusseted jackets were created more for use during stunt work for more overhead and forward motion ease when doing whip work.

The most famous photo of Ford wearing a jacket with gussets was the one on the back cover of the 'Stars' coffee table book in 1983. That's when it was first discovered some of the jackets even HAD gussets.

For 'real world' applications, I prefer jackets with gussets too, as your jacket will not ride up around your ears when your arms are out holding the steering wheel of your car while driving.

Regards! Michaelson
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

WConly wrote:
backstagejack wrote:
Jack Flanders wrote:
backstagejack wrote:

Agreed totally! The gussets, in any of the offerings give the most comfort for wear and give the sleaves a better length -- looks-wise! My previous 'Wested's,' with the same length sleeves, seem to ride up more, then the ones with gussets! The original jacket had gussets, except for the stunt men (Mod's correct me if I am wrong here)! W>
No, no, NO! Wested's gussets simply don't work.. Look at the G&B Expedition for how a gusset is supposed to work (and look), if you absolutely must have them.
All Wested do when adding what they think a gusset is, is essentially enlarge the armhole, defeating the purpose of adding them in the first place.
On their LC jacket in particular, they're a complete waste of time.
A jacket that fits well around the chest and has properly-sized armholes (ie, not Wested's size-of-a-dinner plate ones) DOESN'T NEED GUSSETS.