The Best A2 for the buck?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

The Best A2 for the buck?

Post by backstagejack »

So, I attempted a search but either the search wasn't working, or typing in a2 jacket in the search broke it....

I'm looking for the best A2 for the buck. I'd love one of Kelso's but can't spring for that. I was looking at US Wings. The trick is, I need the most accurate for WW2 and not a modern one for some pictures and maybe a movie I'm shooting.

I'm looking at the US WINGS A-2 2000 Vintage Cowhid which says it is based on the WWII pattern......

Thanks for any help, tips or links to any other threads that I missed.

Jack
WConly
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: The Best A2 for the buck?

Post by WConly »

The Wings cowhide is one great jacket, especially for the price and certainly looks the part of a 'broken-in, well worn' A2! The only real difference is the handwarmer pockets, but if it's going to be for a film project, I would think it would look fantastic and the fit is great. Conforms well to the body and breaks in quickly! Not blousey in any way! Great jacket and superb buy at the current price point! W>
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The Wings and Kelso's are worlds apart. Look at the Kelso house pattern if you can't spring for their later more 'accurate' offerings.

They hit a sweet spot, high but not super high price, very dedicated producer and sensible delivery times and you can custom size. It's up there with Eastman in terms of quality.

I had a couple of modern Wings fit was blowsy and long well enough put together, but so are Dickies. Sold them as soon as I had the opportunity. I have a Cooper A2 in goat and it's ok though big in the shoulders for the size.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The Wings 2000 series is the civilian version and IS cut looser, complete with side entry pockets. Check their military fit A2's instead.

I've owned a couple of their military fit A2's and there was nothing 'blowsy' about them. On the contrary, they were correct snug military fit, and that's what I DIDN'T like about them. I am not a fan of snug jackets, but that' s what a military fit is supposed to be, so I opted out.

I'd still give them the once over before ditching them for another maker, especially for the price.

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I think it should be noted that if you are looking for vertually the historically accurate A-2, then they were made of goatskin and HH. There have been several inquiries and discussions regarding A-2 repros., probably several in the forum over the years, and a basic search revealed the same here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/ ... a95c382382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would tend to refer you to Eastman, Goodwear, etc.
http://www.eastmanleather.com/index.php?cPath=21_40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/dept-29383 ... ckets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High end A-2 manufactureres have their niche in the market, I suppose, but a cost effective option would be USW.

I think there is a real void in the repro. A-2 & G-1 market for historically accurate repros. at a fair price. Of course, "fair" and "value for the money" are in the eyes of the beholder.

It comes down to a personal decision, based on various factors that are important to you, imo.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, it comes down to how much you can afford, as I note in your original post you say 'best bang for the buck', then bring up USW jackets.

That's not exactly in the same rarified air as Goodwear or Eastman lives in. :lol:

What are you willing to spend? That will determine whose wares you need to be looking at.

Looking at champagne when all you have is a beer budget can be depressing. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

...just a thought, but usually you can find a goatskin Cooper A-2, usually a good used one on Ebay, typically, and if you are 'shooting a movie' you may be able to find one broken in or distressed at a fair price? Cooper made some really nice and cost effective A-2's around '00 when I was looking.

Edit: ...213 of them for sale, some at some very reasonable prices on the 'bay. Cooper also is tied to the originals in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the near present day, historical USAF/AAC use.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

...and, ironically, Cooper is the predecessor of USW's.

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote:...just a thought, but usually you can find a goatskin Cooper A-2, usually a good used one on Ebay, typically, and if you are 'shooting a movie' you may be able to find one broken in or distressed at a fair price? Cooper made some really nice and cost effective A-2's around '00 when I was looking.

Edit: ...213 of them for sale, some at some very reasonable prices on the 'bay. Cooper also is tied to the originals in WWII, Korea, Vietnam and the near present day, historical USAF/AAC use.

awesome, thanks alot guys I know you'd be an excellent source. I've been scouring tons of websights to get some good equipment and uniforms, etc. I'm working on a project with a new production studio and it'll include flashbacks to WWII. Should be fun.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Does anyone have experience with this company? They also sell an indy jacket...

http://www.flightjacket.com/a2-jacket.html

They seem to be more accurate than the cheaper ones....but cheaper than an Eastman or Kelso... and apparently Made in the US as well. They sell it in the Russet Horse hide - which is VERY attractive to me. Though still two hundred cheaper than Kelso's

Still honestly leaning towards the USwings Vintage Cowhide A-2 2000... but that russet horsehide seems much more accurate.

I've had limited experience with a-2's, do they ride up similar to an LC style Indy jacket?
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

See this thread.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana Jeff wrote:See this thread.

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Thanks very much! So far according to that thread....they don't seem to bad to deal with. They're a-2 doesn't look bad and it comes in the HH russet as well which is the selling point to me...... They're g-1 looks amazing to me as well....
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

The house style looks a good deal. Once you swap it to horse and if you need custom sizing. Whoosh!
Forrestal
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrestal »

I bought a US Wings Goatskin A-2-2000 last August. I wore it all winter long, nearly every day. It still looks brand new. The quality is excellent. It is not 100% accurate to the WWII jackets, but certainly close enough for me.
For a price of $195.00, this is my recommendation for the “best bang for the buck”
Regards,
Forrestal
interbak
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by interbak »

What size and price range are you looking for? Lots of decent used stuff out there in all price ranges, plus you might find something already broken in, to give that authentic look on screen.

B
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Considering he was looking for this back in January, last post in April, this is probably a dead issue now. :?

Regards! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

Yeah, but it's always fun to see what's out there. Here is the link to the Cockpit website:

http://www.cockpitusa.com/index.php/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have their cotton A-2 which is a great light jacket to wear. I'm on my second one now! I also have one of their very early Flying Tiger jackets in horsehide (AVG version, not 23rd FG). It was a limited edition back when I first got it in 1994. I believe only 100 were made. Mine is numbered #36...
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Nope, still looking. I've had other expenses to take up my time lately.

I'm still kinda set on this company.

http://www.flightjacket.com/a2-jacket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the moment though, I'm in between wanting an A-2 or a G-1. Planning a trip to Denmark in a year or so for xmas and will probably prefer the g-1.
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

The best budget A-2 in terms of accuracy and fit is Bill Kelso 29971. It was designed exactly for that purpose. To be the best at affordable price.

The next best choice for me is to get a NOS issued jacket. You find some on ebay, there's a shop that sells them.
I understand rules here don't allow ebay links for auctions, but for shops? I am in doubt so I won't post it.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Shops are ok. :M: :tup:

To continue in that vein, what is your budget price on an A-2 at Kelso's?

Regards! Michaelson
afalzon
Vendor

Post by afalzon »

350 euros
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

$475 USD based on todays currency conversion.

Thanks!

Regard! Michaelson
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

I've been looking those jackets and doing a lot of currency conversions. Today it's at $482US...
Charybdis
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Charybdis »

The website lists the 29971 at 400 euros now. Is that a price increase since Oct. 7th?? Also, for anyone interested, this particular model is made in steerhide...
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

I've noticed that WPG has an A2 made from goatskin.

It doesn't look bad, supposedly authentic cut with no handwarmers.

Only asking $150.

I know that WPG puts out a decent product, but for that price I'm a bit weary.

It has good reviews so far though. :-k

http://onlinemilitaria.net/products/546 ... ht-Jacket/
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by GoldenHistorian »

There were mentioned on the fedora lounge,
What price glory A2 jackets were decent in the first batch, but then we presume the factory had outsourced to another factory as the most recent reviewed bath was terrible.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Texan Scott wrote:I think it should be noted that if you are looking for vertually the historically accurate A-2, then they were made of goatskin and HH. There have been several inquiries and discussions regarding A-2 repros., probably several in the forum over the years, and a basic search revealed the same here:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/archive/ ... a95c382382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would tend to refer you to Eastman, Goodwear, etc.
http://www.eastmanleather.com/index.php?cPath=21_40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.goodwearleather.com/pages/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gibson-barnes.com/dept-29383 ... ckets.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

High end A-2 manufactureres have their niche in the market, I suppose, but a cost effective option would be USW.

I think there is a real void in the repro. A-2 & G-1 market for historically accurate repros. at a fair price. Of course, "fair" and "value for the money" are in the eyes of the beholder.

It comes down to a personal decision, based on various factors that are important to you, imo.
...just to contradict a little, it's well established that cowhide was also used in a number of A-2 contracts during WWII. Pre-war, probably not, but definitely beginning in 1942. :TOH:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Giben wrote:There were mentioned on the fedora lounge,
What price glory A2 jackets were decent in the first batch, but then we presume the factory had outsourced to another factory as the most recent reviewed bath was terrible.

Hm, that's depressing. I mean if the quality wasn't bad for that price it's pretty epic.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I asked this a while back on Fedora Lounge. Best A2 bang for buck according to most members of Fedora Lounge (and they love their high end A2's) is the Flightjacket.com AKA US Authentic - in goat. Their HH is a little plastic looking and much heavier than the period hides. But their goat is good. The jacket is period cut, solid stitching, correct cotton liner in the right color, period look. Pockets are good too as these are often too large. I'd get one myself but I hate woolen knits.

The US Wings ones are cheap and cheerful, sure, but the patterns are off.

Yes, cowhide was used during WW2 - looks pretty much like HH, but this was only established by Gary Eastman in recent years.
captblitzdawg
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by captblitzdawg »

My budget is my biggest concern- raising three teens on my own= so when I saw an "Indy-style jacket" for just over a $100 I took a chance. The label says Flesh & Hide (weird), but I have been happy with it. Originally, I ordered a L based on their sizing chart but it was too small in the arms and shoulders. They took it back and sent me an XL which worked much better. It was easy to do some weathering on it, it's fairly light and is a very soft leather. Has anyone else tried these jackets? Thoughts on them? Are they cheap @#$%/ lemons or has anyone else been satisfied with the jacket?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

CM wrote:I asked this a while back on Fedora Lounge. Best A2 bang for buck according to most members of Fedora Lounge (and they love their high end A2's) is the Flightjacket.com AKA US Authentic - in goat. Their HH is a little plastic looking and much heavier than the period hides. But their goat is good. The jacket is period cut, solid stitching, correct cotton liner in the right color, period look. Pockets are good too as these are often too large. I'd get one myself but I hate woolen knits.

The US Wings ones are cheap and cheerful, sure, but the patterns are off.

Yes, cowhide was used during WW2 - looks pretty much like HH, but this was only established by Gary Eastman in recent years.
I've been eyeing flightjacket.com for awhile now. I like the look of their product a lot... sad to hear about the HH but the goat is cheaper :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

captblitzdawg wrote:My budget is my biggest concern- raising three teens on my own= so when I saw an "Indy-style jacket" for just over a $100 I took a chance. The label says Flesh & Hide (weird), but I have been happy with it. Originally, I ordered a L based on their sizing chart but it was too small in the arms and shoulders. They took it back and sent me an XL which worked much better. It was easy to do some weathering on it, it's fairly light and is a very soft leather. Has anyone else tried these jackets? Thoughts on them? Are they cheap @#$%/ lemons or has anyone else been satisfied with the jacket?

Interesting I just saw a reference to this company for the first time this week. I was looking at Jurassic World vest options and F&H was one of the companies mentioned as making reproductions.

They sell through Amazon and eBay as well as their own website. Based on eBay feedback the jacket was shipped from Pakistan despite the company location listed as Illinois. Not necessarily a deal breaker, there are high quality jackets being made in Pakistan as well as low quality jackets made in the US. I would suspect the leather quality to be a bit low given the overall prices. A real telltale sign of a reasonably decent seller is they appear to be using their own pictures in the ads. Any seller that only uses movie/production pictures are almost always selling junk. And that they were willing to make an exchange for sizing for you is another good sign in their favor.

I found the listing for their Indy jacket offering and whereas there many details that are off, it is a reasonable look for the price. Based on the couple of pictures you have posted of yourself so far, it works really well.

I suggest starting a dedicated thread in the jacket section with detailed pictures of the front, back and especially with you wearing it.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

A2 Cooper, Ebay. There are some outstanding deals on these jackets and some in mint condition for around $100, more or less.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

From what I've seen for a mint Cooper you're looking at around $200-300. Which is still pretty good. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Input "A-2 Cooper" and that first one looks practically brand new, 42, for $109. Maybe less if you make an offer? You can tell by the grain, it's goatskin. Someone may snag quite the steal there.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote:Input "A-2 Cooper" and that first one looks practically brand new, 42, for $109. Maybe less if you make an offer? You can tell by the grain, it's goatskin. Someone may snag quite the steal there.

There's some good prices on there for A2 Coopers.... oddly, many of them are 42 for some reason. Sadly, I'm a 40 Such is the life. I'll keep an eye out though.

Cooper's patterns are fairly spot on for the price?