ARRIVED ! Greg DeSaye 10' Nylon Indy on the way !

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

JerseyJones
Vendor

ARRIVED ! Greg DeSaye 10' Nylon Indy on the way !

Post by JerseyJones »

I got my GregDeSaye 10' nylon bullwhip today and . . .

Very Nice ! :)

It is tan and Indy-ish per my request. I asked for and got:

1. 9 inch stock/handle.
2. Tan color
3. Turks Head and Spanish Ring

It looks very nice, and compares very favorably, in a visual sense, (as I have never cracked a RK) to a Rhett Kelly bullwhip with a smaller, more uniform Turk's Head. It is also narrower across the board when compared to my JS Whiskey. With a little wax and wear in, it'll get that lived in look.

The Construction. A very neat 12 plait with a 2 strand braided nylon fall and popper ( Spare poppers were automatically included without asking, BTW). The transitions were surprisingly smooth with very little indication of a bump ( consider that the nylon can't be dimensionally cut and tapered like roo). It seems well made and the handle seems well secured about 1" above the spanish ring.

As for handling:
It was odd for me at first, because the whip was very flexible with a nice stiff 9" handle right off. I have never owned a snakewhip, but due to the shot loaded construction of the nylon whip, I'd imagine that it rolls out like a snakewhip; its very liquid and smooth. It also coils flat, fitting nicely in a MK VII bag in one's trunk ;) Somewhat disconcertingly, it can contort to odd shapes and then crack out straight as a pole with a flick ( See below ;) )

Ya See, as I walked out of my office tonight, I was suddenly chased by the Hovitos, so I yanked the ol GDS from my bag extended my arm, turned with a big wide overhead and sent it out....

And the crack was jarringly loud ! :D The deer in the woods nearby bolted. Good thing Jock had the plane started ! :junior:
The whip was fairly easy to control, but as I said, it finishes up more like a snakewhip, I'd think. It was not a stiff feel but a very flexible feel right out of the box, more like my JS Whiskey, now that it is broken in some.

All in all. Great value at $140.00 + S/H for a winter/wet friendly bullwhip plus very prompt work, cleanly detailed product, and a very personable maker. I may ask to have the Turk's Head made bigger, but otherwise, I am very pleased.

Pix will follow tomorrow as I am without my camera tonight.

Hats off to Greg DeSaye !

Ken

>>>>>>>>>>>>Original Post<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Well, thus far Greg has been very communicative and concered about getting me the correct final product. He sent me this e-mail tonight:

>>>>>>>>>>

Hi Ken
I finished your whip . I will send it out Priority Mail tomorrow. Let me know when you get it and how you like it. If there is anything you don't like or want changed please let me know.
Thank You
Greg DeSaye

www.stockmansupply.com

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

He seems to be doing right so far. :) I'll keep you all advised on the final product.

Ken
Last edited by JerseyJones on Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

I'm interested. I guess it might be the cold wheather, but I feel like getting a nylon whip. I've already e-mailed Tim Bass a few hours ago and I'm waiting for a reply. If your whip turns out good, then it might make my options a bit more difficult.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

Tim is a great guy and quick with responses but with a 5+ month backorder and me in the Northeast US, I need a practice whip for the cold and wet soon !

...which I am getting ....hmmmm.....

Ken
Mr. Das
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Mr. Das »

5 months is a long time, especially if I'm considering using it during the cold winter. So I guess it's a DeSaye or WSP.
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

bumped to show first review :D
badger_state
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Where's the update?!?

Post by badger_state »

Well...Any pics or additional thoughts now that you've had your nylon bull for a little while?
JerseyJones
Vendor

Post by JerseyJones »

JUst got my camera back. Pix to follow, but anybody got a good host site ?

Ken