2 Satchel Questions.

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

2 Satchel Questions.

Post by jedichase »

Hey everybody,

While at a World War 2 re-enactment I came across a cool find. A MKVIa W&G gas mask bag with gas mask. For $30 I got a pretty accurate addition to my costume that I've been hunting down for a while. Now I have a couple of questions concerning it.

1. I have leather and will be making my own strap. But I do not know how long the strap should be. How long is the leather strap? 62in?

2. There is a black stripe that goes across the front and back of the bag. It easily smudges, & I don't want it getting on my pants, as I'll be using it for college. Does anyone know what this tripe is & does anyone know how to get it removed?

Here are a couple of pics of the label & bag.

Thanks for reading and any help.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: 2 Satchel Questions.

Post by Hollowpond »

For the smudge, I would try soaking it in oxyclean. I've done that with both of my vintage bags with no ill effects. Can't say for sure it'll get the smudge out, but it couldn't hurt.

As for the strap, In order for the buckle to fall in the right place across the chest it's length should be equal to your height. At least that's what Wade Egan told me once upon a time, and every strap I have from him is perfect. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've been told the same as Kemosabe universally, make the strap the same length as your height.

In terms of cleaning the bag, when I got my vintage bag roughly 13 years ago, I threw it right in the washer to get the storage stink out of it with no ill effects. Still using it to this day. You're results may vary. ;)

Since the black smudges so easily, try soaking it in plain water first, it may rinse out enough to not transfer onto clothing. From there try gentle soap solutions in increasing strengths until you get to where you want. My vintage bag has a black stripe on it that has never come out so I doubt you'll get it out completely, but probably enough to keep it from transferring.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Thanks for the info. Looks like I might have to get a strap. Will also try the oxi-clean route.