My New Bapty & Inglis at the Raven!!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

My New Bapty & Inglis at the Raven!!

Post by Indiana Bond »

To all my friends at COW, I've been holding out from you all for the past month, and it hasn't been easy! I have a very special acquisition and conversion to share with you all. You may have seen the contest I was running for 2 free nights in Hawaii at my vacation rental Halemalu. Well unfortunatly I had no takers. But you are all welcome to come stay and visit the next time you come and visit Hawaii!

As many of you know I have been on a 5 year quest to collect all 19 of the different handguns used in the 4 Indy films. I've usually posted everytime I picked up another Indy handgun to fill the collection. But this acquisition was special and I wanted to share it with you all in a special way. So now I finally got everything together to do a nice photo shoot of the new special acquisition. Not only that, but I was able to pick up it's "partner" also.

I hereby present to you my fellow COW members my Smith & Wesson HE2 .455 "Bapty" conversion along with it's partner the Inglis Hi-Power!

Here is the Bapty on her own:

And here is the Inglis:

Please feel free to comment and ask any questions. I will be glad to give details on the "Bapty" conversion if anyone is interested. Thank you all once again!

Last edited by Indiana Bond on Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: My New Bapty & Inglis at the Raven!!

Post by RaidersBash »

Indy: "Do you know how long I've been searching for that?"

Brody: "all you life..."

Indy: "All my life...."

Very well done sir. Congratulations!!! :clap:
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

It's just not fair. Anybody with money and time and resources can get the guns, but Hawaii, too? ;)

I stand awed, envious, and congratulatory. Well done! :clap:
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Indiana Bond,
The guns look great! I currently have a 1917 S&W remodel that I had cut down to 4'', but have yet to get a ramped sight for it. I was just curious about the details on your conversion especially on the sight. Did you have it made? Did you find one and have it put on? What was the cost? Just curious.

jlhampton
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

jlhampton wrote:I was just curious about the details on your conversion especially on the sight. Did you have it made? Did you find one and have it put on? What was the cost?
Here's the quick story on the Bapty conversion. I was very lucky and found this one on GunBroker. Won it for only $369!! The reason it went at such a good price is that the cylinder has been shaven to accept 45 ACP in moonclips like the 1917. Also the front of the original barrel was very pitted and in pretty bad shape. Both these factors made it not very collectable and kept the price low but made the gun the perfect candidate for a Bapty conversion! If the barrel had been in better shape I would have kept the original barrel and found a replacement to shorten. My total cost for this "Bapty" (gun, shipping, parts, gunsmithing) was just over $500.

The front sight I bought from Midway. It's a replacement Ruger Blackhawk sight that I reshaped with a file to match the Bapty sight. Here is a link to that website.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586962 ... arrel-blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since the sight was only $8.00, I decided to get two of them in case I screwed up on reshaping it. I didn't screw up so I still have the second sight which I'm going to reshape into a Stembridge sight for my 1917 that's still in L.A.. It took a little over an hour working with a coarse and a fine file shaping the sight. It's kind of cool knowing that I actually had a part in recreating this Bapty and not just having it all done by my gunsmith. It also helped keep the cost down and I would be sure the sight came out the way I wanted it. Here is a photo of the stock sight and my reshaped sight.

Like I mentioned the barrel was pretty badly pitted so I really had no reservation in cutting it down to 4 inches. I do suggest that if you have a nice barrel on yours please don't cut it. Find a replacement and cut that one instead. That way you always will have the correct matching barrel if you ever want to change it back to original. Here is a pic that shows the pitted barrel and the newly shaped sight.

And here is a better pic of the original pitted barrel.

After my gunsmith cut the barrel I asked him just to remove the blue in the area of where he had to silver solder on the new sight. I wanted to leave as much of the original finish on the barrel as possible so that it would match the rest of the gun. After the sight was silver soldered on I used cold blue to blue the sight and the area around the sight that had some of the original bluing removed. Came out pretty good matching the rest of the barrel. Cold blue is never as deep and shiney as a good hot blue but I think it matches the original older blue of the barrel better. Just need to get a holster and run it through the holster a few hundred times to get the correct "holster wear".

My gunsmith charged me $80.00 to cut the barrel and silver solder the new sight. I shaped the sight for him and I did the cold blueing. The bottle of cold blue cost $16.00 but I have a lot left over for other projects. Shipping was $30 so total was just over $500.00.

I'm really happy on how it all turned out. I wasn't even looking for a HE2 as I already had the 1917 but I happened to run a GunBroker search for "S&W Hand" and this one popped up at $250.00 with a couple of days left. Put in my bid and was lucky enough to win her! Now she's the centerpiece of my collection along with my newly acquired Inglis. When I get a chance to bring the Webley WG and Colt OP over from L.A., I'll have the Hero foursome!

Thanks again!

jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

Thanks a lot Bond. That's some pretty useful info and also, thanks for the link. I will look into it and perhaps make one myself. All I have to do is have the sight soldered to the barrel so it would probably cost me even less since my barrel is already cut.

jlhampton
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

jlhampton wrote:I will look into it and perhaps make one myself. All I have to do is have the sight soldered to the barrel so it would probably cost me even less since my barrel is already cut.
Yes it seems like I have seen quite a few members here wanting to do the conversion but never actually getting around to it mostly because they can't find a sight. These Ruger Blackhawk sights work really well. They are a bit wider than what is called for in the specs but end up looking real close. Pretty easy to clamp them in a vise and use a file to work it into the correct shape. And for $8.00 it's a real deal.

So far I have actually only seen two other members who have actually done the conversion. Antilles and Indy30. They both also used a model 1917 as the base and not a HE2 like I used and the original Bapty was. Major difference is the grips as the 1917 have a silver medalion while the HE2 has a slightly smaller gold medalion. Also the markings on the barrel are different. For me I feel the HE2 just has a better "vibe" as a Bapty compaired to a 1917. Here is a comparison pic of the different Baptys:

If anyone else has a Bapty coversion or kows of another member with a Bapty conversion please post in this thread as I would like add them to the comparison photo.

Thanks again for all the positive comments and questions! :tup:

Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Nice work Indiana Bond. As luck would have it midway UK have the blackhawk sight in stock. As my HE2 a s is de-activated I'm just going to cut the barrle down.As I'm skilled metal worker I can do all the work myself.
Trebor
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Trebor »

Nice work and thanks for the info.

Btw, the wife and I love Hawaii and are planning another trip back, possibly still in 2012. It would be great to meet you if we are on your island. (We usually stay in Kauii)
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Trebor wrote:Btw, the wife and I love Hawaii and are planning another trip back, possibly still in 2012. It would be great to meet you if we are on your island. (We usually stay in Kauii)
You're welcome to come and stay anytime!

Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Here's my S&W1917 Bapty conversion, my barrel is a tad short than spec, but my gunsmith happened to have a bunged up barrel, so he kept my orriginal and used his. Which is sweet.
But I'd like to know where you got the site for yours as mine isn't exactly perfect. Since this pic was taken I found checkered grips w/silver medalions, the version w/gold still aludes me. :-k

[urlImage][/url]
I have for sale in the ciro bazzar a barrel, follow this link. :TOH:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=57841" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Croft :mrgreen:
Last edited by Indiana Croft on Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Croft, if you haven't already done so, you may want to put that in the classified ad with a price and see what happens!
:TOH:
Regards~ Michaelson
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Not to high jack the thread, but I have in the past, but I'll put up tonight when I get back from work then I'll post a link in this thread, sound good. :TOH:
Just thought I'd shamlessly show it here first, a teaser so to speak. :oops:

Croft :mrgreen:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

There's been alot of discussion about why the barrel would have been cut down in the first place and one suggestion was to increase the barrel diameter to length ratio to make the gun seem more menacing. Never though much about it, but seeing Croft's gun with the slightly shorter barrel, my first thought was, "Wow, that gun look more menacing with the shorter barrel." Seems counter-intuitive, but that was my first reaction.

Kinda wonder what Dirty Harry's 44 would look like with a 2" barrel? :Plymouth:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Doesn't really matter. If you ever find yourself looking into the business end of a revolver, the muzzle looks as big as the Holland Tunnel. :shock:

Been there, done that (once), don't EVER want to see THAT from that angle again, and it was a 2" barrel revoler.....may as well been a Howitzer as far as I was concerned at the time! :Plymouth:

Regards !Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Indiana Croft wrote:
But I'd like to know where you got the site for yours as mine isn't exactly perfect.
Croft,

I posted the link to where I got the sight further up in the thread but here it is again:

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/586962 ... arrel-blue" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You will have to file it down to the correct shape. Also it is a bit wider than what was on the original Bapty so it won't be "exactly perfect" either. Yours looks great as it is so I wouldn't mess with it if I was you.

Thanks again for all the great comments!

Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

The shorter barrel dovetails nicely with the upcoming fanfilm too!

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=55551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

;)

Regard! Michaelson
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Michaelson wrote:Doesn't really matter. If you ever find yourself looking into the business end of a revolver, the muzzle looks as big as the Holland Tunnel. :shock:

Regards !Michaelson

Ain't that the truth! :o

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Mr. Fusion 1138
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Mr. Fusion 1138 »

That's a beautiful pair o' pistols, Mr. Bond. :tup:
Little Venice
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Little Venice »

Aloha! Amazing collection, I'm so impressed - especially considering the paperwork involved with firearms ownership in HI. My wife and I are actually going to be in Oahu for 2 1/2 weeks or so starting the end of September. Look for our plane's red trail in the sky as we touch down in PHNL (moving there next year, Hovito country!) :D
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Little Venice wrote:Aloha! Amazing collection, I'm so impressed - especially considering the paperwork involved with firearms ownership in HI. My wife and I are actually going to be in Oahu for 2 1/2 weeks or so starting the end of September. Look for our plane's red trail in the sky as we touch down in PHNL (moving there next year, Hovito country!) :D
Thanks LV!!

I've got a vacation rental here in Kona http://www.halemalu.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; so if you want to spend a few days just let me know. You can see the collection up close and personal!!

FlyingWing
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by FlyingWing »

Hi All, I'm new to the community and this is my first post. Outstanding work on the Bapty--I have found my "tribe"!

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Welcome FlyingWing!! I'm honored to have your first post on my thread! Thanks for the compliment and enjoy Club Obi Wan!

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I'm looking to do a Bapty conversion in the next year also. One question - what is the sight picture supposed to be with the new front sight? It seems too tall to rest the top of the sight in the back groove, but the fat part of the front sight seems to low to put that in the groove.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Mark Brody wrote:I'm looking to do a Bapty conversion in the next year also. One question - what is the sight picture supposed to be with the new front sight? It seems too tall to rest the top of the sight in the back groove, but the fat part of the front sight seems to low to put that in the groove.
Just as is always done the front blade lines up in the rear notch with the top of the blade level with the top of the rear sight. Target point sits directly on top of the front sight blade.

I haven't had a chance to shoot and sight in the new front sight. I purposfully left the new front sight tall so that I can file it down if it shoots low. Hopefully that will be the case as you can't add to the blade if it shoots high.

Also I had to widen the notch on the rear sight because the blade of the new fromt sight is wider than the original. You need to see a bit of "light" on both sides of the blade in the sight picture so you know its centered correctly.

Hope that all makes sense!

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Indiana Bond wrote:Hope that all makes sense!
Perfect sense. I guess my last question is where can I find the exact dimensions of the Bapty sights (height, width, length, and angles of the fat and skinny parts)?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Mark Brody wrote: I guess my last question is where can I find the exact dimensions of the Bapty sights (height, width, length, and angles of the fat and skinny parts)?

It's on the IndyGear Main website:

http://indygear.com/igguns.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is what it says:

The front sight, custom made from steel stock, measures 9mm (.355 inches) high, 6mm (.236 inches) wide and 2.8 cm (1.10 inches) long. The blade ramp is about .162 inches high, .086 inches wide and .537 inches long, with serrations on it's angled surface. The sight base top is .724 inches long before it slopes off to the barrel.

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

Based on that description, the first diagram below is correct, but if I swap the height measurements of the base and the ramp, I get an image that more closely resembles the Bapty. Am I doing something wrong, or do my eyes just need adjustment?

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Mark Brody wrote:Based on that description, the first diagram below is correct, but if I swap the height measurements of the base and the ramp, I get an image that more closely resembles the Bapty. Am I doing something wrong, or do my eyes just need adjustment?
WOW!! Great job on that drawing! I don't think anyone's done that before and so few have actually done the conversion following the dimensions given it was never questioned before. I do see what you mean about the bottom drawing looking more accurate. There could be a chance that the dimensions were mixed up when they were taken years ago.

I guess it will be up to you to decide which way you want to go on it. The difference is minimal so whatever feels right for you would be the way to go. Like I said I just modified an existing sight so mine is most definately not accurate to any specs.

Keep us posted on your decision and process!!

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

holy cow! as a lifelong gun collector you have definitely made me jealous! I have a hi power but it is an Israeli Kareen. I havent been able to find an Inglis let alone one of the wheelguns yet. Very NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! \:D/
ninjagrips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninjagrips »

That's a real nice job on the sight, Indiana Bond!

I'm actually getting ready to tackle this project as well.

I've got my Blackhawk sights on the way, you've inspired me to try my hand at hand shaping my own.

Can you give us any more details about the files and techniques you used?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

ninjagrips wrote:That's a real nice job on the sight, Indiana Bond!

I'm actually getting ready to tackle this project as well.

I've got my Blackhawk sights on the way, you've inspired me to try my hand at hand shaping my own.

Can you give us any more details about the files and techniques you used?

Thanks for the compliments! I used 2 different flat files. A coarse and a fine. I just put the sight into a table vice and started working with the coarse file to get the material off. Keep a good measuring device and print out some pictures with the dimensions close by so you can check your work as you go. The drawings "Mark Brody" did are great and I wish I had those to follow when I did my sight. Once you get close to the correct look with the coarse file switch to the fine file to smooth things out and get the final product.

Like I mentioned before I know that what I did is not spot on accurate to the dimensions as found on the original Bapty as the Ruger Blackhawk sight from Midway is a bit wider than what is called for and trying to file down the width on both sides of the base and the blade would have been pretty hard to do accurately. Just shortening the front and back and then reshaping the blade got me close enough to the look that was needed. The side profile came out very close but from the front it is a bit wider than the what's on the original Bapty. It still looks good and proper though.

Good luck on your project and be sure to post pics!!

ninjagrips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninjagrips »

So I gave it a go!

First one came out too small.

Second one is looking better to me.

I wouldn't have even tried this had all you folks not done it first, so I thank you for the inspiration!
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Nice work ninjagrips! Like I said earlier mine isn't spot on perfect either. But as long as it looks good and is close enough it should do the job. Keep us updated on your progress!

ninjagrips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninjagrips »

Thanks, sir!

The only thing I'm concerned about is the height of the sight.

I hope I didn't remove so much material that it's gonna shoot high!
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

ninjagrips wrote:Thanks, sir!

The only thing I'm concerned about is the height of the sight.

I hope I didn't remove so much material that it's gonna shoot high!
I still haven't had a chance to shoot mine so I have that same concern. I did purposefully make my sight a bit taller than the spec so that hopefully it will work out just right or maybe have to file it lower to zero it in. Either way this isn't a piece that I plan to go target shooting with anyway so accuracy of the revolver really isn't the issue.

Keep up the good work!

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Hey Indiana Bond, can you tell us about your Broomhandle Mauser in the opening pics for this thread ?? Post some pics anything, I love c96 Mausers. Thnx
ninjagrips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninjagrips »

Just picked up my Bapty conversion at the gunsmith!

ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

ninjagrips wrote:Just picked up my Bapty conversion at the gunsmith!

....junk...send it to me... ;)

Awesome pistol! Congrats!
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

ninjagrips wrote:Just picked up my Bapty conversion at the gunsmith!

Very nicely done!! How did you reblue the new sight and surrounding area. Did your gunsmith do it or did you just cold blue it your self?

Welcome to the club!!

Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Great looking Bapty :clap:

I'm curious about how you blue'd it also ;) :TOH:
IndianaRedmon
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndianaRedmon »

Very nice looking pistols. :TOH:
ninjagrips
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by ninjagrips »

I cold blued the sight, the gunsmith managed to not hurt too much of the original bluing, but there's more cold blue on the barrel as well.

I just used BC Super Blue and a Q-Tip.

Can't wait to take her to the range, I'm hoping if anything I'll have to file a couple thousandths off the front sight.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Looks great, nice job !!! :TOH:
Exulted Unicron
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Exulted Unicron »

I believe that';s the same Denix GP35 that I own. Got mine from Spain and imported it. Also got the Denix Webley IV. Not a bad replica
Cajunkraut

Post by Cajunkraut »

Can't have enough Indy gun porn. :D
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Just noticed that it's the 2nd year anniversary for this thread!! Guess it's been two years since I did my Babty conversion. Haven't been doing much else in the hobby although I did finish my display case that shows off all the Indy handguns along with many of my props. Still looking to purchase the last handgun I need to complete the entire collection. Still need a pre model 10 S&W with a 2 inch snub barrel. Should be pretty easy to find but has eluded me at a price that I would like to pay.

It's good to be making a post again and HAPPY 4TH to everyone!!

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Happy 4th Bond !!! :TOH:
baddates1
Vendor

Post by baddates1 »

Indiana Bond wrote:Just noticed that it's the 2nd year anniversary for this thread!! Guess it's been two years since I did my Babty conversion. Haven't been doing much else in the hobby although I did finish my display case that shows off all the Indy handguns along with many of my props. Still looking to purchase the last handgun I need to complete the entire collection. Still need a pre model 10 S&W with a 2 inch snub barrel. Should be pretty easy to find but has eluded me at a price that I would like to pay.

It's good to be making a post again and HAPPY 4TH to everyone!!

Pics........ we need pics....