Grey Herbert Johnson Homburg

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Grey Herbert Johnson Homburg

Post by indydude18 »

Just thought you guys would like to see this. I bought this off eBay recently trying to get a close color to the HJ Clipper but I think it may be too dark. Does anyone here own a Vintage HJ Clipper? Do any of the hat experts know how to date this HJ? I can never seem to date a HJ from the 30 New Bond Street address. Oh, and I just took a quick measurement but the ribbon is a tiny bit bigger than 43 :D

Flash

Indirect Sunlight

Sweatband

Some trivia under the sweatband

I think this color is actually pretty close to the Nazi Agent's fedora! :D
Last edited by indydude18 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Grey Herbert Johnson Bowler

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Regardless of the color, don't do a thing to change it! That's a beautiful hat as is.

According to a post by Steve Delk:
30 New Bond Street - very approximately 1985-1996

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

It is indeed...And it's a Homburg...Not a bowler....Which means it's a very lovely hat for Mafia bosses too..All good!

Beautiful hat indeed...Good buy!

:TOH:
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Check out those humps on top......very Raidersy. Awesome find! Congrats!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Reminds me of the fedora worn quite often by Jeremy Britt in his Sherlock Holmes series!

Nope, don't change a thing, please! =;

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Grey Herbert Johnson Homburg

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Lovely, lovely hat!
:)
stones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by stones »

I'm sure I remember Steve Delk saying in a thread a while back that you can make a good Indy hat out of a Homburg as the block is often the right shape?

Looks a lovely hat anyway though!

cheers

Stones
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

That was one of his original thoughts, but he shifted away from it after he made one out of a Homburg, saying the height was right, but the crown shape was wrong. Too round.

Regards! Michaelson
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

Nice homburg! I like those hats too, but the only one I owned, a Stetson St. Regis, is now essentially a fedora because I trimmed the brim.

I'm sorry if I'm going off topic, but here is my Stetson St. Regis below.

Before, you can see the homburg design here:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... at1915.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After, it is now a fedora:

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... t14442.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... at1631.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://i792.photobucket.com/albums/yy20 ... at2310.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The idea was to get it looking like Alain Delon's fedora in "Le Samourai":

http://filmjournal.net/mjocallaghan/fil ... urai-1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I guess this is my other movie-inspired hat. If you want to change yours, then I won't stop you, as I'm pleased with my own results too. :TOH:

P.S. Wow, just got to 100 posts!