to Wings or not to Wings... that's the question.

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

Would like some thoughts, I really like the US Wings CE jacket and through a bit of research have established that a Medium is my best bet in most respects. I'm a fairly atheletic build - reasonable proportions 42" Chest 32" hips, even the sleeve length is good, however I am not particularly tall between 5'7" and 5'8" - think Tom Cruise but without the money lol !!

I know USWings are all generally 27" in length - not sure if that length would work for me as much as I love the look of the jacket I may have to pass. I have emailed them and Amber has been very good at getting back to me - unfortunately not with the answers I'd hoped for though. I had asked if there was any chance that I could get one that had a shorter length - even 26" - have another jacket that length and it works - I prefer mine 'a bit' longer - quite like the CS look, 27" just seems like it may be too long though.
Anyway, the reply was that I'd get the next one of the rail - thats it, not even a we'll see what we can do, or anything.

In addition their whole International Sales Policy is pretty unfriendly, so spending that amount of money - and after the shipping and customs and taxes it would be close to $650 - for a jacket that is a poor fit - well not much of an incentive. I could understand if it was based on custom jobs - but these are standard sizes with no options for returns, even if they are faulty - yes, I asked that question also, and I can't pay with a CC so as a buyer I have no protection at all, (Paypal protection - :rolling:)

I am not looking to start a US Wings bashing session - but I find it really frustrating, maybe US Wings have reasons to do what they do based on previous bad experience - maybe?, but I like to think that I, and most people are generally decent honest folk that just want to be treated fairly.

I'm not bothered about SA, but a jacket's gotta fit right - seems it would be a gamble - any US Wings owners want to chip in?

Maybe I'll just have to go with a Wested Novapelle.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: to Wings or not to Wings... that's the question.

Post by Ian »

Are you sure that it'll be 27" back?...I've got a Legend US in XXL and that is only 27" in the back.....For a medium, I'd expect the back length to be shorter than the XXL....I know it's a different jacket but still... :-k

Ian
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

Pretty sure - their sizing chart shows that all their sizes are 27" length - I also got measurements from a member who has a medium and his was 27", worked out for him as he is about 5'11".

I have asked on another thread that has a Small what those sizes are - waiting on a reply.

I know what you mean though - I would have expected there to be a difference as well.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I tried two US Wings Legends - M and L. The M had a back length of 25" and the L 26". Since the Legends are supposed to have a shorter overall body I would not be surprised that the CE jackets are 27".

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

I guess if that's the case and 27" is too long then you'll have to consider a different jacket....or go custom....

If you consider the US Wings Legend, then some of the sizes are discussed here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51782&p=750165&hili ... th#p750165

Ian
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

raider7 - I actually have the Wings CE jacket in medium. I am 5'7'' and definitely what you would consider 'an athletic build' (I lift weights etc.). The jacket on me is just a tad big loose or baggy unless I wear a sweater underneath etc. My bet would be that it would fit you perfectly, unless of course, you want the 80s style tight fit. This jacket will fit you like CS fit, not Raiders.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

IndyOriginal wrote:raider7 - I actually have the Wings CE jacket in medium. I am 5'7'' and definitely what you would consider 'an athletic build' (I lift weights etc.). The jacket on me is just a tad big loose or baggy unless I wear a sweater underneath etc. My bet would be that it would fit you perfectly, unless of course, you want the 80s style tight fit. This jacket will fit you like CS fit, not Raiders.
I reckon you need to consider proportions though.....I'm 5' 11" and I need a good 27" in the back because I have a long body but short legs.....There are some 6+ footers around here that take a 25" in the back length.....25" back length on me would be above my belt despite me being shorter.......Just saying...:TOH:

Ian
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

IndyOriginal wrote:raider7 - I actually have the Wings CE jacket in medium. I am 5'7'' and definitely what you would consider 'an athletic build' (I lift weights etc.). The jacket on me is just a tad big loose or baggy unless I wear a sweater underneath etc. My bet would be that it would fit you perfectly, unless of course, you want the 80s style tight fit. This jacket will fit you like CS fit, not Raiders.

So what length is yours and where does it sit - any chance of a photo with you wearing it? also what is your chest size?

many thanks
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Here is my suggestion, based on several attempts through the years trying to get a Wings that fit me correctly. If you can convince them, call or contact them and have them measure an actual jacket on hand — sleeve length, body, shoulders, etc. If those measurements work for you have them send you the very jacket they just measured. I really like Wings jackets, but I've personally never been able to find one that fits me properly like a typical 40 regular would. (It's also why I wish they would do number sizing and not just S/M/L sizing.) And especially if you are ordering from overseas, the idea of having to send jackets back and forth if they don't fit is daunting at best. If you're going to end up spending decent coin on a jacket that should fit you right, you shouldn't feel like it has to be a gamble. If you live in the UK, Wested may actually be a better jacket for you in that regard, especially if you can visit the shop. That's just my two cents' worth.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Here is one idea, raider7. You mentioned the international sales policy, so I assume you are in the British Isles, or another country overseas? Wested makes a jacket with a skin which is VERY much like the Wings CE jacket, if not identical hide to the CE, and that is the Wested copper novapelle jacket. Skin is vertually identical, and you can order it custom made for a bit more than $300. The same/similiar pattern would be the LC/CS jacket, has the wide yoke, snaps, etc., just like the CE. Color of the skin is on the order of carmel, instead of a chocolate brown or darker.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Haha - yeah, I know my previous post was a bit vague, but I've got to admit I've never been so detailed when it comes to jackets...not that I don't want to be, but I've never really had the time or patience required to really nail down a custom jacket. To be honest, just dealing with certain vendors in buying and returning a jacket once has been enough to set me off. Hats off to you fellows with the patience to do it right. :TOH:

Anyway, I will try to get some decent pics up for you raider7 when I get a chance, and I'll take some chest measurements as well. Problem for me is I drop weight (muscle) significantly whenever trips to the gym fall below 3-4 times per week, and I can't eat like a horse. Just got a new job that hasn't allowed me to go much at all for the last month or so...so the jacket might look a bit baggier than usual. Maybe I'll wear a sweater underneath in the pic.

Alexander
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

raider - I have the exact jacket you're considering. It's a Medium, and I can confirm it's 27" back length. I'm 42" actual chest measurement and 5'11" tall and heres me wearing it:

Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Re: to Wings or not to Wings... that's the question.

Post by Ian »

CRB wrote:raider - I have the exact jacket you're considering. It's a Medium, and I can confirm it's 27" back length. I'm 42" actual chest measurement and 5'11" tall and heres me wearing it:

Just out of interest, what's your inside leg?
Ian

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

My what? I've never been asked that before, but I typically take 33" length jeans/trousers etc if that helps.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

Lmao! Just wanted to see the difference. I'm 5'11", but my 27 jacket looks shorter on me because my inside leg is 32". Just saying that you can't just go off height for jacket length.

Ian
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

CRB wrote:My what? I've never been asked that before, but I typically take 33" length jeans/trousers etc if that helps.
That was funny. Yes the inside leg measurement is called the inseam and is usually the second number following the waist. Some call it the length.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Wow, CRB, you're 5'11'' and that's what the medium looks like on you (spot on)??? I'm afraid to take a pic of me in the jacket now haha. I've always felt that it was a bit big on me, but I might take a pic and find that I look like I'm swimming in it.

Just to note, for anyone on the sidelines about the jacket, I've had some random good looking girls come up to me in public and start conversations about how they like the jacket, where'd I get it etc., so...the CE jacket comes highly recommended.

Alexander
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

IndyOriginal wrote:Wow, CRB, you're 5'11'' and that's what the medium looks like on you (spot on)??? I'm afraid to take a pic of me in the jacket now haha. I've always felt that it was a bit big on me, but I might take a pic and find that I look like I'm swimming in it.

Just to note, for anyone on the sidelines about the jacket, I've had some random good looking girls come up to me in public and start conversations about how they like the jacket, where'd I get it etc., so...the CE jacket comes highly recommended.

Alexander
IndyOriginal - please do take some pics - it would really help make my mind up.

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions, I am going to make enquiries about the Wested Novapelle in copper as I'm in the UK anyway, - not seen it on their website so not sure if it's available any longer - anyone know?

binkmeisterrick - you're right it should not be a gamble - I'll mull this over before I commit - indyoriginal pics will definitely help as he's the same height - I know proportions can differ but it will give me an idea.
Jacket looks really good on you CRB - having a 42" chest like you I am expected to be in the 5'10" range (average sizing i guess), 42R are usually a bit in the long side in the sleeves and length - strange thing is that the Medium in the CE has the right sleeve length for me at 24" - 24.5".
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

They still make them. Two shades of leather: copper and a much darker novapelle. Look alot like their pre-distressed hide, which is also cow. Here are a couple of shots of the Copper Novapelle brand new. It was made in the Raiders style:

Last edited by Texan Scott on Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Also, there is a USW CE up for auction on Ebay. It is a Small. $250.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

I had to lengthen the sleeves on my USW CE - by an inch, I have long arms.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Ian wrote:Lmao! Just wanted to see the difference. I'm 5'11", but my 27 jacket looks shorter on me because my inside leg is 32". Just saying that you can't just go off height for jacket length.

Ian
Height aside, a guy might have a short torso but longer legs in proportion, or a longer torso and shorter legs, just depends. Height and weight is not the only criteria though, and charts help to a certain extent.
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

That's what I was trying to get at.. :TOH:

Ian
PsychicsAndSwords
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by PsychicsAndSwords »

Texan Scott wrote:
Ian wrote:Lmao! Just wanted to see the difference. I'm 5'11", but my 27 jacket looks shorter on me because my inside leg is 32". Just saying that you can't just go off height for jacket length.

Ian
Height aside, a guy might have a short torso but longer legs in proportion, or a longer torso and shorter legs, just depends. Height and weight is not the only criteria though, and charts help to a certain extent.
Yeah, like my problem - I'm 6'3" but it mostly shows in my limbs. My torso is only slightly longer than normal. So when a company like Wings does their tall sizing in the standard "add 2 inches to the body and 1 to the sleeves" formula, I could really use the opposite - extra 2 inches to the sleeves and 1 inch to the body.
CRB
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by CRB »

Yes, I've always thought that too (2" on sleeves etc.)
Ian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ian »

This is where the custom option comes into play if you don't conform to the off the rack sizes. It *****, I know when you see a jacket you want but you know it just won't fit you right.

IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Hey raider7, just wanted to let you know that I still intend to post some pics of the CE. Was going to last night but we had terrible flooding in DC/VA area last night...spent hours doing flood damage control in the basement yesterday. God willing, the rain will let up today (weather reports call for more T-storms).
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

IndyOriginal wrote:Hey raider7, just wanted to let you know that I still intend to post some pics of the CE. Was going to last night but we had terrible flooding in DC/VA area last night...spent hours doing flood damage control in the basement yesterday. God willing, the rain will let up today (weather reports call for more T-storms).

Thanks for the update, - just when you get the time - take care and I hope things are not too bad.
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

Alright guys, finally got back to my parents' house from work. Ran and got the jacket so that I could take a couple quick pics before sundown. My girl took these with an iphone, so the quality of the shots is a bit poor. Can take more later if needed. http://s1115.photobucket.com/albums/k54 ... ?start=all

*On a side note, let me break down (roughly) everything I've done to affect the jacket's appearance. After initially receiving the jacket, I did a very light sanding to try and accentuate some of the LC wear and tear. As the jacket was very light in shade to begin with, I do not believe any of the distressing really changed the jacket's appearance much. After wearing the jacket for a couple of months, the shade of the leather really started to lighten up (which I do not like,personally), particularly in the upper right shoulder area where my bag strap rubs around. Since then I've applied 3 or 4 coats of Pecard's and even a coat of mink oil, in addition to leaving the jacket out in the sun for day-length periods of time, all in the hope that the jacket will darken up. Unfortunately, I do not believe any of these efforts changed the appearance of the jacket. It's a tough SOB of a jacket, and you'll know what I mean the minute you pick it up.

Alex
raider7
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by raider7 »

Thanks for taking the time to post those pics IndyOriginal - jacket looks good. It's good to get an idea of the look of the jacket on someone around my height and size. Did you use the standard Pecards or the brown, which I understand has a reddish tint to it?

I've got enough info to make a decision now - I'm gonna have a good think and I'll let you know what I go for.