The HJ of Denmark

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

The HJ of Denmark

Post by Indiana Jeff »

While planning our holiday to Denmark I was very excited to find a reference to a milliner in one of our travel books. Chapeaux Petitgas has been in existence since 1857, at this location for over a century, and has the Royal Appointment for the Danish Crown.

I was looking forward to a visit with my AB Sahara 'Michaelson' in hand to discuss hat making and just perhaps, make a purchase.

The shop is very small, but radiates old school charm of a bygone era.

Sadly for me it was closed for the entire time we were in Denmark! :cry:

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Greg
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: The HJ of Denmark

Post by Indiana Greg »

:-k

Synchronicity: I just bought this & am awaiting delivery from Bulgaria

(Moderator edit: changed to links due to image size.)- I knocked down the file size... sorry! :oops:
Last edited by Indiana Greg on Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indiana Jeff wrote:The shop is very small, but radiates old school charm of a bygone era.

I'd like to get a better look at that clock. It's a keywind, time/hour chime arbors showing, and probably original to the store too.

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I knew you were going to say that M. All those hats and I knew you would eyeball the clock. :TOH:
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Sorry, M, that's the best I have of the clock. I was having to take pictures though a gap in the curtains and between security bars on the windows.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

BendingOak wrote:I knew you were going to say that M. All those hats and I knew you would eyeball the clock. :TOH:
:oops: Well, uh......busted.... :[
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Hi Jeff, Looks like you a great time in Denmark, I'm so sorry I wasn't able to meet up with you :( How was the weather? It looks nice in your pictures, I can't remember anything but rain, rain and more rain these last few weeks.

I know that store, I've never been in there but it looks like they have nice hats. I know some other danish Indy fans who've been to that store and well, the owner doesn't know very much about Indy, he kept insisting that the Raiders hat was made in Germany and he had proof. The 'proof' turned out to be an ad for a replica Indy hat made by a German company 1985 :S He also had some 'interesting' opinions regarding how you should treat your fedora. I won't get into details but he doesn't seem to know alot about hats surprisingly enough.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I was sorry we weren't able to meet in person.

We had an excellent time. Rain for a couple of days, but not enough to slow us down any. Actually there was light rain the day we went to Petitgas, but it doesn't show too much in the pictures. The temps were perfect for being out walking around all day.

I wouldn't expect the owner to know that much about Indy, but sad to hear he may have a limited knowledge about hats and hat making in general. That's one of the benefits we have here of such ready access to Steve, Marc and others.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Kredepops wrote: he kept insisting that the Raiders hat was made in Germany and he had proof. The 'proof' turned out to be an ad for a replica Indy hat made by a German company 1985
That was the hat that Lucas had made back in 1984 for sale in theater lobbies for the release of TofD in 1984. Those were sold under the Stetson label, but when it was shown that it was a losing proposition, they were stored at the Parmount studios warehouse and then sold through two general sales mail order companies over the next 2 years.

There was a quick segment on 'How it's made' on the Discovery Channel back in the 1990's about those hats.

They are nice hats. I have one in collection. They're a LOT nicer than anything Stetson was selling at the same time under the TofD name.

Regards! Michaelson
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

:notworthy: You're a walking talking fedora encyclopedia Michaelson :notworthy: Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad you had a good time Jeff despite the weather. It's been a weird summer here, mostly rain and a few warm days. Good thing you weren't here when the rain was at it's worst - there were whole streets submerged in 1 ft. of water in Copenhagen.
Indy B
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Indy B »

Chapeaux Petitgas looks charming and wonderful. I'm glad you were able to get those pictures!

...and it does look like the clock would require keywinding and is original. It's nice to see that places like this still exist, intact.

Cordially,
B.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Kredepops wrote::notworthy: You're a walking talking fedora encyclopedia Michaelson :notworthy: Thanks for clearing that up.

Glad you had a good time Jeff despite the weather. It's been a weird summer here, mostly rain and a few warm days. Good thing you weren't here when the rain was at it's worst - there were whole streets submerged in 1 ft. of water in Copenhagen.
Friends of ours that live in Denmark told us it's been the wettest summer in decades. Living in the desert the rain was a welcome novelty.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff