AdVintage HJ or an AB Henry... which one should I get?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

AdVintage HJ or an AB Henry... which one should I get?

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Sadly I have to start this of with telling you guys I've misplaced my 9 year old Akubra Federation. After cleaning out the house the other day AND the garage... I can't find my little wonder. Shame really as it has been to many countries around the globe and followed me on my many adventures. I hope it is here somewhere but I just can't find it.

So I guess it's time to get a new one and I was pondering about getting the AB Henry or the AdVintage HJ. I would take the AB Henry because it has been AB approved but I would also be tempted to get the Advintage HJ because it's a.. HJ!!! Let me tell you... I can't afford both, sadly. :lol:

Anyone of you guys out there have both? And what do you think of it. Some insight would be helpfull. Been digging the site for the last couple of days and reading up on stuff here ( as I've been away for a bit) but some more insight would be helpfull.

Thanks again and regards from Belgium

Doctor_Jones ( Ron)
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: AdVintage HJ or an AB Henry... which one should I get?

Post by jnicktem »

I only have the AB Henry- but I can tell you it comes very close to a hand made hat. Plus the felt is a beaver/rabbit mix, so it's felt is better than what an HJ has. Also the sweatband ranks as one of the very best I have ever felt, and I have owned a lot of really great hats.

I can't speak anything of the AdVintage fedoras, but I know the AB Henry is a real winner!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If it were just left to the two choices, I'd go AB Henry.
fifthchamber
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fifthchamber »

The problem with the Herbert Johnson is that they just aren't the same hats as we want them to be.... And I'm aware that they can be made to look a LOT better... But it's still not "the" hat... With a Henry, you do at least get the hat base that was from a company that cares about keeping things authentic and close to what they would make by hand....

Both are factory made hats, one is made with a touch more care, but the other is worked up to fighting fitness by a decent team of "hat mechanics"... I'd say go with the Henry, since it's a quality hat and well made/shaped/spoken about.... The HJ? Well....It IS the hat..But it also doesn't have quite the power it should..Making it fall behind in a race I feel...

Entirely a personal perspective... I love Steve's gear, and even if it's only a factory made with his approval, I'd choose that simply because I like his view on what a hat should be... Marc seems to be like that, and perhaps better, so anything made by them would be "it" for me..

But the final choice is yours.. :TOH:
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

While I have no experience with the AdVintage HJ, I can tell you that you can´t go wrong with the AB Henry. The felt feels great, the sweatband is outstanding and the Henry is quite durable.
But I still wish you good luck finding your Federation!
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Thanks for the input guys. Will ponder about it the next couple of days and when I make a decision I'll let you know.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Love my Henry! :TOH:
Ronski
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Ronski »

I don't have an AdVintage HJ, but I have a Magnoli HJ and a Henry. If its any comparison, I would go with the Henry. Since I got the henry, my HJ has sat in its box, and last I wore it was when I sent my henry to get reblocked.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I will say that if you wanted a beater, something to make into a SoC type fedora, then a pure rabbit felt would be the way to go.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Okay, I have made my decision but now I have to wait before I order it. Will hope to make a deal with someone who buys formula 1 memorabilia and he is interested in one of my things. Hopefully I will receive enough so i will be able to buy another ( cheaper) hat to give to one of my best friends as a birthday present. Ten years ago I gave him my wool officially licensed indiana jones fedora. He was excited back in the day. Will probably give him the Junior Fedora which adVintage is offering.

Oh yeah.. I've choosen to go for my first crush... the hat I never bought but always wanted to have. I'll go for the adVintage HJ.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Oh yeah, I found my old Fed back. :lol: It was sitting on a shelf in my dad's garage. I forgot it in my dad's car a while back and forgot all about it.

But that doesn't stop me of ordering a new one. Just made a sale on the stuff i was selling and now waiting for payment. \:D/
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I am just curious- what made you decided to go with the AdVintage HJ over the Henry?
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

I promissed myself when I bought my Fed almost a decade ago that one day I will buy a HJ.
I thought long about it and I have heard wonderfull things about the Henry which Marc supplies. But still, a HJ is a HJ.
If I do choose to go for the Henry, I'm certain I would be very happy with it but deep inside I think I would regret not getting the HJ. The HJ is just a hat I want to have and it has been a long time coming.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Trust me, its rabbit felt with the HJ or Christy label on it. The Fed. you have is better quality felt.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

My Fed is almost 10 years old and needs replacement Scott. And I'm not getting a new Fed. I know they are great and this old one I have has served me very well. But now it's time to move on and get the hat I always wanted... :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Entirely your call. Wear it in good health. ;)
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

finally made the payment today. now the waiting game begins.
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Got the hats today! I'm over the moon with my new fedora. The AdVintage Herbert Johnson size 59. Quite stiff hat, very nice feel and must be the best I've ever had. I took some pictures but the ones I took of myself wearing it were not sharp. Will take some pictures tomorrow. The AdVintage Junior, which I bought for my best buddy, is a real gem. Very nice felt, nice feel to it. It's very nice. I only had it in my possession for half an hour and then I gave it to him as a late birthdaypresent. His birthday was yesterday so not that quite late ofcourse. He's over the moon with it and now he can place his Indy Disney in the closet.

Pics can be found here, sorry for the bad quality:
http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s140 ... ms/Fedora/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
getoutofthelibrary
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by getoutofthelibrary »

Congrats on getting "THE" hat! Can't argue with that liner!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I will not be a wet blanket on this one. I hope (no, pray [-o< ) you are as happy with your HJ as you have been with your Akubra after several years have passed.

Please come back with a report after a year of regular wear and let us know if the recommendations that were offered to you were right or wrong.

Only actual daily wear is of any use when it comes to commenting on these things, as all our hats are 'THE perfect hat' right out of the box. It's only after the 'rubber meets the road' in real world use will you know if your decision was right or not.

I hope you enjoy your hat, as a promise made to yourself to finally own an HJ was a box that needed checked, and that's always a good thing.....but on the separate requirment of you expecting the new HJ to be as reliable as your old Akubra, well, I have a feeling you're going to be in for a big surprise. :(

The HJ is rabbit felt. The Henry is a rabbit/beaver blend.

Here's hoping your HJ is the exception to the rule, and that it becomes a constant partner in your adventures. :TOH:

HIGH regards, old friend.

Michaelson
Doctor_Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Doctor_Jones »

Hi Michaelson. I have had my Akubra for I guess a decade. It served me really well and it went to hel and back. I don't think the HJ will serve me 10 years but some years will do. Even a year and I would be content. :lol: Just owning a HJ was something I wanted for a long time and now finally I got it.
Well, one day I'll probably get a beaver felt but just for now... this one is just fine by me. :TOH:
probably to be continued in a year or so...

I'm curious how the Junior fedora will hold out. I'll keep an eye on that one too.

by the way, it's hard to get you on facebook buddy. :-k