lamb question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

lamb question

Post by knibs7 »

Are all lamb skin jackets pretty much the same as far as what the undertone is? I've distressed about 8 lamb jackets in the last 2 years or so and they all have that tanish/ rusty undertone. HOWEVER, I just got a jacket from Wested that was supposed to be in Authentic Brown Lamb, but it has a gray undertone, much like the GOAT jackets I've had before.

Any thoughts?

Kyle
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: lamb question

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've heard of Wested jackets having redish undertones and greyish undertones.

Probably want give the old SEARCH button a try. I used "undertone" and there's a whole bunch of threads discussing undertone color for all the vendors offerings. I'm sure you'll be able to find what you're looking for.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

All the wested's I've owned over the years (auth lamb, auth goat, washed goat, predist cow) have had greyish undertones - except the dark brown goat which is more brown. I believe the dark brown lamb laso has more brown undertone I thought this was fairly common knowledge- it certainly seems to have been mentioned quite a bit.
Indiana Dymond
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indiana Dymond »

Whiskyman is right the DARK brown lamb Wested have right now has a red/brown undertone.
My guess is that most undertones are a result of the tanning prosses,so the jacket maker really has no control over how the hides turn out.
The only way to be 100% sure of what you'll get is to have a sample of the hide or a good look at someone's jacket made of that hide.
Lord_Clarence
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Lord_Clarence »

I would describe the undertone of my 2005 Wested authentic lamb as tan colored. FWIW.

cf. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51442

-LC
Indydawg

Post by Indydawg »

All leather is tanned using different methods and dye consistency and composition.

NO two leather batches will be the same.

There are approximations in consistency...but there will also always be discrepancies.

And that is the same no matter what jacket manufacturer you are considering.

Of course, when you get into specialty shops, you ought to be able to hand select what you're after to achieve exactly the look you want.

But THAT costs big time.

It's really a matter of what you can afford.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

I've got some Coyle's jackets that are reddish, while some Coyle's are brownish.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

The more I delve into leather jackets the more I realize there are a TON of variables from hide to hide. No two lamb are the same anymore than two people are the same. I'm sure diet of the animal, the environment its raised in as well as genetics plays a role in how it accepts the dye. (This is an extension of _'s comment. He is right, of course). I would guess that is why two different jackets from the same vendor in the same hide vary so much. If you want EXACTLY what you want you have to hand pick your jacket.
All lambs do NOT look the same (identical twins and clones withstanding) . Don't be so speciesist! :lol:

Travis